million questions!

Guest heps1

Not really, just a few. I know that schools and which areas cannot really be answered until we know where my oh is working. Questions i feel can be answered.

We'll need 1 used car, with a budget of about $5k what can we expect.

What are the roads like? busy/dangerous?

Would also be buying mountain bikes.

Links for cars and bikes woud be appreciated.

Sky tv for creature comforts? How much for rental of dish and box?

Sorry for asking inane questions but i'd rather do it know before we arrive.

Thanks everyone.

Not really, just a few. I know that schools and which areas cannot really be answered until we know where my oh is working. Questions i feel can be answered.

We'll need 1 used car, with a budget of about $5k what can we expect.

What are the roads like? busy/dangerous?

Would also be buying mountain bikes.

Links for cars and bikes woud be appreciated.

Sky tv for creature comforts? How much for rental of dish and box?

Sorry for asking inane questions but i'd rather do it know before we arrive.

Thanks everyone.

Used Cars - New Cars - Search New & Used Cars For Sale - carsales.com.au

www.carsguide.com.au

www.gumtree.com.au

www.quakka.com.au

try these sites buying privately in gumtree or the quakka or on the boards at the supermarket will get you a better buy

the traffic depends on the time of the day when its busy eg the freeway bottlenecks then you take more care

try www.foxtel.com.au for pay tv

K-mart & Big W have really cheap bikes in most of the time. Ours cost $79. The roads in general are much better than the uk. They're busy around the city . You see lots of cars parked along the road with For Sale on them, you will probably get more for your buck buying private than from a garage! X

Guest karldyble

Hi, sorry to be down beat but.......

With $5k for a car, don't expect anything glamourous, what you can pick up for hundreds at home (UK) you'll pay into the thousands for here. They don't have MOT either so some cars havent been looked at in years. With that budget you will be entering 'could be a bag of spanners' country. You need to pay rego and a transfer fee too which is at least a few hundred. You don't need insurance as you get thrid party personal cover only included in the rego, i.e. if you injur a person you are covered but if you hit a car it's court case time! Generally the cars are in pretty good nick as they don't have the salt to rot them like back in the UK. I think that if a car is less than $3000 or has over a certain amount of K's on the clock you don't get the 3 month or 5000k warantee that is offered by law. Lot of sharks out there and if you turn up to a car lot telling them how you just got off the plane and know nothing about Aussie cars you could be driving off in a wreck. I know because i did just that, it lasted 3 weeks!! only a lighter note i believe the mountain bike market to be altogether less risky. :)