How easy is it to find a sponsor?

Guest Ali J

Hi guys I am new to the forum!!

My family and I (husband and 2 boys aged 13 and 15) are currently looking to better our lives, from hum drum in the UK to bright and sunny in Oz, my husband is 50 this year so we woul need to come over through me, I am 38, I train horses for a living and having spoken to an agent understand that if I fnd employment I can come over on a 457 visa, but I would need sponsorship - he said that it wouldnt be a problem if I offer to pay for the sponsorship process and could be quite straightforward.

He said basically I find a job and get on a plane then contact him and he would take care of all of the paperwork - for a fee of course, I have no problem with this but how realistic is this, my family and I are just looking to make the most of the time we have working left and looking for a brigher future for our boys, we arent planning to do this until possibly next summer.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!! Am I really just thinking pie in the sky or is this really do-able!!

Any advice good or bad!!

thanks

Ali j

I don't know what agent you have spoken to but I recommend you find another one. It is really not a good idea to find a job, jump on a plane and *then* look into the paperwork.

The other thing you need to note is that the 457 visa you have been told about is temporary visa and there is no automatic pathway to permanent residency. Your post suggests you want PR, so you need to find out how you will get that. I vaguely recall seeing another horse trainer being employer sponsored for PR but I could be wrong. It is something you definitely need to look into. Do a search for SOL and check schedules 3 and 4 and also look at the ENSOL and see if your occupation is on any list. If it is only on the 457 list then you are not eligible for PR visas.

I can't stop myself saying it either, but Australia is not glorious sunshine very day, sometimes it is pretty awful here and it has quite an extreme climate. There also is no guarantee that you will better your lives, you are moving from one first world country to another and both have their problems and good points. I think you will find many people that have been there and done it would not say they have bettered their lives.

I am really happy with the move and can't imagine going home anytime soon. But it always concerns me when people are motivated by weather and vague notions of a better life.

Good luck.

To answer your question, it's not and as Pumpkin says a sponsor for a 457 visa gives you a four year 'working holiday' and if at any point the job comes to an end, you have 28 days to find another sponsor or leave Australia.

It is possible to gain permanent residency through employer nomination, this is rarely immediate but some will do it after a period of time, two years is typical. It all depends how sort after your skills are.

You may find demand in rural areas but whether this is the kind of life you'd want your family to have I don't know. Forget any notions of rural Britain! The extreme climate of Australia and the vast distances anywhere (4 hours to shops is quite normal) and most children of high school age have to go to boarding school make for a hard life.

If you do find a sponsor in an area right for your family then there is a lot of criteria they have to meet to be allowed to sponsor over and above the criteria you have to meet.

Oops didn't mean to post there, I was just checking Horse Trainer is on the ENSOL and it is, the assessing authority is TRA (trades recognition Australia). I would check out the requirements as any possible permanent migration will depend on a successful skills assessment.

BTW your partner could alzo be sponsored on a 457 as age is only a factor for skilled migration visas.

Good luck, it is possible just not easy!

Jules x

Hi Guys thanks so muchfor your help, I didnt mean to make the thread sound a bit fippant but i'm sure you guys read loads of threads about why Brits want to move to Australia. We are all commited to the move, we work very long hours at home and spend little quality time as a family, the evenings are dark for all but a few months of the year and since I work outside most of this time is spent cold and battling the weather.

Thanks for the information tough, I wasnt aware that my OH was eligble for a 457 and thanks Jules now I know we are on ENSOL.

Would you suggest speaking to sme possible employers or would you seriously look at another route, there are a lot of sites offering jobs for my trade in Australia, particularly in the racing industry, but if a better option is to go down a different route then I am happy to do so, we arent planning on the move until next summer and I understand some visa's take a lot longer than others, is it an option to get the ball rolling now and are some visas a more sucessful route than others.

thanks for the advice and sorry to keep firing random questions but I am somewhat lost!

Thanks

Ali J

Hi Ali, I can only speak from my own experience and what I've learnt from others on this site, everyones journey is unique. I came here on a sponsored 457 visa BUT was already eligible for a 175 and had positive skilled assessment. The main reason for getting sponsorship was to get here as soon as possible and as a bonus the employer paid all the relocation expenses. I got PR 9 months after arriving although I could have had an ENS visa after two years.

It doesn't take long at all to get a 457 visa, 3 months maybe if the employer isn't 'pre approved', for a recent addition to my team it was 21 days! You do have to be 'ready and willing' although it was a year from my initial contact with the company to starting work.

The jobs you have seen, are they open to overseas applicants? It may be worth starting to contact companies and identify those who will sponsor to set the ball rolling. Make sure though they will sponsor you for permanent residency eventually because it would be heart breaking to achieve the life you want and then have to move back.

A reccie a few months before you want to move can pay dividends, if you can visit potential employers they are far more likely to take you seriously and interview you. My OH had two interviews on our reccie and was offered both jobs.

But as Pumpkin said don't imagine life in Australia is so different, I am mooching around the house bored today, far too hot to do anything. An outdoor job in Australia could be hell. It also gets dark very early here even in the summer, in Perth espcially with no DST sunset is 7:30 at the latest. And the biggest myth of all is that you will have more time, the average working week is longer and annual leave is less. Is my life better here? YES but that's because of changes I've made and I could have made the same changes in the UK!

Research, visit and be 100% sure - it is a traumatic journey for many people especially when there are children involved.

Jules xx

I think you are the best option Ali, I don't see any advantage of going with your husband as main appplicant on a 457 as that is a temporary visa. What does he do by the way? As your occupation is on ENSOL I think that the ideal situation would be for you to go for a permanent employer sponsored visa. Your husband by the way, could also get an age waiver on the permanent employer sponsored, but how likely he is to get that would depend on what he does, I daresay the best chance is if he is something medical.

And back on the lifestyle thing, I would echo previous poster, I have never worked such long hours in my life and never had such limited annual leave. ;)

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help, god its a mind field!! My husband is a home energy assesor, didnt even look into whether he was on any list due to his age, so best option is to go with the ensol, think I need to speak to a good immigation company seems I have been slightly misled.

Maybe your right Jules maybe all the things I want to change about my life could be changed even if I stay here but to be honest, my heart is in Australia, we have visited for lengthy periods and love it and are planning another month in August.

Its just getting the first step right thats so frustrating.

thanks

Ali

Archived