Canberra Social Work

_shel

Just a note to let people know if interested that ACT have advertised for Social Workers in this weeks Community Care mag.

No good for me, we're off to Parramatta in Aug. I assume the Social Workers they got from their last round of international advertising back in 2009 have fled the nest already lol.

No idea of the pay but they do offer relocation.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a note to let people know if interested that ACT have advertised for Social Workers in this weeks Community Care mag.

No good for me, we're off to Parramatta in Aug. I assume the Social Workers they got from their last round of international advertising back in 2009 have fled the nest already lol.

No idea of the pay but they do offer relocation.

I think the head of the department likes his european jaunts but you are probably correct, there isnt a great track record for retaining those people they do recruit.

I think the head of the department likes his European jaunts but you are probably correct, there isnt a great track record for retaining those people they do recruit.

Mad, they must pay out a small fortune in visas, relocation, international ads and trips ;o) and then they just let all the workers they hired walk off!

Surprised Aussie grads don't want the jobs, London councils are hiring loads of Aussie social workers to cover their shortage but they dont pay all the extras the way ACT does.

• 4 weeks later...

You are absolutely right about the head of department who regularly recruits for staff UK and N Ireland, it's likely a free holiday to catch up with family as he relocated from there. As for the reasons as to why many social workers have left care and protection social work department, no doubt he could provide you with interesting answers but probably not all of them accurate. But as a survivor of DHCS child protection in Canberra I can give you an extensive list of why recruits from UK and Ireland did not stay. This can be verified by other staff who have escaped, at great personal and financial cost to themselves. In terms of work experience, it is more of a case management role, there is no culture of working in partnership with families. In child protection there were no pre birth case conferences and risk thresholds were so high that many children suffered. As for relationships with staff, Australian collegues are unqualified social workers, have no experience or knowledge in social work theory or practice. Most of them are racist and refused to with with that they referred to as 'abbos' Aboriginals. The culture of bullying from the top down was horrendous, the working hours were extensive and the UK and Irish recruits were all given the difficult cases which involved familes who were extremely dangerous. I was badly assaulted, but received no support whatsoever. I could go on and on. You should really google a solicitor in Canberra called David Lander who has successfully pursued cases where staff were illegally sacked because they made complaints about the system. The Canberra Times, local newspaper has written quite a lot about bullying in DHCS, but the goverment has turned a blind eye which raises questions as to whether the bullying eminates from the top. I hope this information is helpful to anyone considering pursuing an application to Canberra DHCS.

You are absolutely right about the head of department who regularly recruits for staff UK and N Ireland, it's likely a free holiday to catch up with family as he relocated from there. As for the reasons as to why many social workers have left care and protection social work department, no doubt he could provide you with interesting answers but probably not all of them accurate. But as a survivor of DHCS child protection in Canberra I can give you an extensive list of why recruits from UK and Ireland did not stay. This can be verified by other staff who have escaped, at great personal and financial cost to themselves. In terms of work experience, it is more of a case management role, there is no culture of working in partnership with families. In child protection there were no pre birth case conferences and risk thresholds were so high that many children suffered. As for relationships with staff, Australian collegues are unqualified social workers, have no experience or knowledge in social work theory or practice. Most of them are racist and refused to with with that they referred to as 'abbos' Aboriginals. The culture of bullying from the top down was horrendous, the working hours were extensive and the UK and Irish recruits were all given the difficult cases which involved familes who were extremely dangerous. I was badly assaulted, but received no support whatsoever. I could go on and on. You should really google a solicitor in Canberra called David Lander who has successfully pursued cases where staff were illegally sacked because they made complaints about the system. The Canberra Times, local newspaper has written quite a lot about bullying in DHCS, but the goverment has turned a blind eye which raises questions as to whether the bullying eminates from the top. I hope this information is helpful to anyone considering pursuing an application to Canberra DHCS.

LOL I was trying to be circumspect, this is a small town but it is good to hear from the horse's mouth. In my experience, bullying is rife in th ACT Public Service. I was working in another dept at one time and had to work with C&P officers and when the first new lot came in it was like a breath of fresh air with collaboration and good communication but that didnt last and they got stomped on in very short order

You should read 'The Trust of The Innocent' by Deirdre Hart, which is available in Amazon. It gives a very funny, but sadly accurate of what it is like to be a UK recruit to social work in Canberra. It is very funny, but sadly gives you a real picture of what it is like to work in that department. It should really be provided to all new recruits for consideration at interview stage, but somehow I don't think that the Director of Care and Protection Services would support this suggestion as he does not want this truth to be known.

You should read 'The Trust of The Innocent' by Deirdre Hart, which is available in Amazon. It gives a very funny, but sadly accurate of what it is like to be a UK recruit to social work in Canberra. It is very funny, but sadly gives you a real picture of what it is like to work in that department. It should really be provided to all new recruits for consideration at interview stage, but somehow I don't think that the Director of Care and Protection Services would support this suggestion as he does not want this truth to be known.

Havent seen that one! Will give it a go. Good to seee that someone got something positive out of their experience.

Guest guest50198

Hi all. i have got a job interview with care and protection in the next few weeks in Glasgow, can you advise what i should do????? i have just read dolly1's review and am really worried, this would have been my dream job over there and dont know if this is a true refelection of the local offices.........advice??? dolly1, did you leave because of this or a better job somewhere else! help!

Hi all. i have got a job interview with care and protection in the next few weeks in Glasgow, can you advise what i should do????? i have just read dolly1's review and am really worried, this would have been my dream job over there and dont know if this is a true refelection of the local offices.........advice??? dolly1, did you leave because of this or a better job somewhere else! help!

Should prob not say this but....

Go for the interview, get them to pay for PR and you to Aus. Stay in job min time required and find work where they dont treat their employees that way! Seems all the SW they've employed over here in recent years have done this or returned home because this is the 3rd time I've seen them advertise in the UK.

Guest dolly1

Hi GeordieK

I left, like many others because of the culture of bullying and the work conditions as I described previously. The minimum time you need to stay before having to pay back the relocation costs is two years. But care and protection did not tell staff, even though they were advised to do so before recruiting, that unless you are eligible for registration with Australian Association of Social Workers you cannot work in any other state. Many of the UK recruits had extensive experience in social work, but had a certificate in social work, so unless they were prepared to take on further study, on top of a full time position, at great cost to themselves, they didn't have a choice but to remain there, or else return home. Many of the recruits were understandably angry that this information was deliberately withheld from them. As there were only a very few people who had MSW, the ones who remained were generally those with families, as they did not wish to disrupt their children once settled in school. In terms of support to new recruits, Care and protection thought that if you all came from Ireland or UK that would be enough, so they tended to throw us all together and hope that would reduce the isolation, but there only a couple of the recruits whom I would have wished to have any contact with outside of work. If you attend for interview I would ask about staff retention; why the recruits left and more paticularly the possibility of moving to another state at some time in the future. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have as honestly as possible, I only wish someone had done the same with me before I left. I could also put you in contact with other returned recruits who will verify what I have outlined.

Dolly1

Guest dolly1
Should prob not say this but....

Go for the interview, get them to pay for PR and you to Aus. Stay in job min time required and find work where they dont treat their employees that way! Seems all the SW they've employed over here in recent years have done this or returned home because this is the 3rd time I've seen them advertise in the UK.

You can only move to another state to practice social work if you are eligible to apply for membership of AASW. Some of the UK recruits were managers with extensive experience and a Certificate in Social Work and they were shocked when they discovered they would have to remain in Canberra or undertake extensive study at considerable cost to themselves, this would also be particularly difficult due to the extended hours which workers did regularly.

The only other thing to consider is that theoretically once you are a permanent officer in the ACT Public Service then you can apply for positions in other areas which may or may not be social work (there are SWs in hospitals as well if you are qualified otherwise there are general clerical jobs to be had). However, you may well find that there is a culture of bullying in other departments as well - I have certainly experienced it in another department (friends tell me that has changed a bit recently) and have heard of other horror stories as well.

I think it is a shame because Canberra itself is not a bad place to live if you have a decent income.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest destinationoz

I am really sorry to hear of peoples horrendous experiences.... As I'll be applying for jobs in the Public Service can any of you shed any more light on these horrors with other depts - I'm really worried now - I'm not a social worker but will be looking at community dev, youth work, health improvement type work - preferably in public service as it's better pay and we'll need that to afford Canberra rents! Thank you

I am really sorry to hear of peoples horrendous experiences.... As I'll be applying for jobs in the Public Service can any of you shed any more light on these horrors with other depts - I'm really worried now - I'm not a social worker but will be looking at community dev, youth work, health improvement type work - preferably in public service as it's better pay and we'll need that to afford Canberra rents! Thank you

ACT Public service doesnt have the best reputation for workplace relations in all honesty. In fact, I used to think that the bullying in Education was bad but in contrast with lots of other ACT organizations I have come across recently it pales into insignificance!

Not quite sure where you would be heading with that sort of focus - DHCS would probably be the biggest employer of those types of jobs although there are a few youth workers in Education.

Guest destinationoz

Thanks Quoll!

Possibly looking at dchs or act health

I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed Ill be ok! x

Guest minimin

I also have an interview for Canberra next week (in London). I have found your posts really interesting Dolly1, and it has confirmed to me that my attitude of "got to Canberra for 2 yrs, then move on" is the right one to go with.

What is the qualification you need to be able to qualify to work in other states? I have a 3 yr Bsc Degree in Social work. Is that enough?

I also have an interview for Canberra next week (in London). I have found your posts really interesting Dolly1, and it has confirmed to me that my attitude of "got to Canberra for 2 yrs, then move on" is the right one to go with.

What is the qualification you need to be able to qualify to work in other states? I have a 3 yr Bsc Degree in Social work. Is that enough?

If you can last the 2 years! Last week I got a sms out of the blue from one of the last round of recruits who manged to escape and is now working in WA. Sad really because Canberra itself is quite a nice place.

Guest minimin
If you can last the 2 years! Last week I got a sms out of the blue from one of the last round of recruits who manged to escape and is now working in WA. Sad really because Canberra itself is quite a nice place.

the plan is to relocate at lowest possible cost, and so if it is too bad, we will just move to another area. My children have left school, and so we wont be tied by schools etc. We are happy to move around a bit until we find where we are settled. Having never been to Oz before, we are excited about experiencing a new way of life

If i do get offered a job - I will be pm'ing you all to ask lots and lots of questions, so I appologise in advance :-)

Guest dolly1

Let me know if I can help in any way, having undertaken the relocations experience, survived working for DHCS and now leading a much happier existence. regards Dolly1

Guest dolly1

Hi there, I would check with AASW, they are very helpful, or equally one of the recruitruitment agencies, like RIG for example. Generally speaking is you have a primary degree combined with a diploma in social work, which is what I presume you have, dependent of course on when you actually completed your course. Also experience needs to be taken into consideration, I have heard from friends who work with recruitment agents in Australia that experience in UK and Ireland is considered as priority as experience with DHCS is not always relevent given it is a case management role rather than hands on field work. Happy to answer any other queries at any time. regards Dolly1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Livingthedream99
Hey Dolly, thanks for all the posts, I have been offered a job with the department but now I am really apprenhensive, is the bullying really bad, who are the bullies, exactly what are they bullying people about and what are management doing about it???

seachelle, for the vast majority of people who I have spoken to who have come over (some still here for 6 years) They love it here.. bullying was something that was spoken about a lot a few years ago but i have seen little bullying in the last 2 years.. Management took a big stand and were very public with the workers about what they deserved and that bullying is not acceptable.

I have had a very positive experience and i would suggest that you take people such as Dolly and Quoll's opinions with a pinch of salt.. for everyone negative worekr there are 10 who have had a wonderful experience. I would also like to see when they were here? The department is very different from even 3 years ago..

Guest Tuley
seachelle, for the vast majority of people who I have spoken to who have come over (some still here for 6 years) They love it here.. bullying was something that was spoken about a lot a few years ago but i have seen little bullying in the last 2 years.. Management took a big stand and were very public with the workers about what they deserved and that bullying is not acceptable.

I have had a very positive experience and i would suggest that you take people such as Dolly and Quoll's opinions with a pinch of salt.. for everyone negative worekr there are 10 who have had a wonderful experience. I would also like to see when they were here? The department is very different from even 3 years ago..

No I'm sorry this is just not true!! I arrived with the last recruitment & the bullying was horrendous!!

Guest seachelle

Thanks for your reply , I appreciate your feedback re the other posts, I suppose we all just have different experiences and I will be accepting the job and have my own experience.....thanks again :biggrin: