Cost of living in Sydney?

melaniecharlton

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lconnartyduncan

Thank you for this information we are looking at my husband getting an international transfer to Sydney (Frenchs Forest) from Scotland (Falkirk/Glasgow) and I am trying to work out how we would live should this go ahead. Your costings have saved me so much time. Can I just ask about the schooling costs, I presume this is for private schooling? And am i correct in thinking we are intital to public school at no cost to us, even on a sponsored working visa (presuming this is what we will get - his work takes care of all of this apparently).

Laura (hubby and 2 kids 6&3)

Guest lconnartyduncan

just been on here and it is coming out as 32% based on $127k salary for non resident as we would be on 457 for 4 years - just for info

Can I just ask about the schooling costs, I presume this is for private schooling? And am i correct in thinking we are intital to public school at no cost to us, even on a sponsored working visa (presuming this is what we will get - his work takes care of all of this apparently).

No, unfortunately 457 visa holders have to pay fees to use public/state schools in NSW. That's what the $4500 per year (per child) cost is.

Guest lconnartyduncan

Oh need to work this in to pay negotiations then. Thanks alot, how about nursery costs - here in SCotland my son goes to a government/state/public pre-school nursery and gets 5 free afternoon session and would do another pre-school year of this before going to school at 5. Is there something similar their for him, do you know. Many Thanks ... now looking very likely we will be there in about 8 weeks. So wish there was somewhere cheaper to live - houses prices are killing me. Leaving a very large luxuary 5 bed home and looks like we will be in a small 3 bed bungalow and this is on a Senior Managers wage. crazy but I still love the idea of the sun and the sea :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to the school board and based on a salary of $90k we do not have to pay schooling for our three children. If you earn more you may have to pay schooling. Best to enquire with them. Frenchs Forest is a very expensive area to live by the way. Preschool is horrendous. You are looking at anything upwards $76 per day. That is for long day care. For preschools that are only open from 9 - 3 - you are looking at around $52 per day. As we are on a 457 you do not qualify for any help from the government towards childcare. Its expensive here but so worth it.