Cost of living in Sydney?

melaniecharlton

Ok what I said previously was not 100% correct. You can apply onshore with a 121 but with a 457 the correct visa would be the ENS 856 (at least that was the advise I received when going through this recently).

And when I said modl I should have said Ensol. All the info is here if you haven't already looked into it

Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 121/856)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks DanUK,

Much appreciated. We are waiting to find out if his company will sponsor him for a 457 as well as a 856. Its seems so daft that one has to apply for two visas. If they hurried up their system it would not be necessary.

Good luck with your visa process. Let me know if you encounter any hitches.

Thanks

Mel

Hi Melanie,

For me, my employer sponsored a 457 in November 2008 and then sponsored the 856 through a migration agent once I was able to meet the 2 year requirement (thus avoiding the skills assessment). That was submitted "decision ready" and granted a week later on the 14th Jan just gone. So i have been through this recently. You are in a slightly different situation to me as I am in Victoria so my sons schooling was essentially free but would certainly say that is the easiest way to go, especially if you can get LAFHA, and worked well for us.

If you do go that route it is likely to take more time than you are hoping which could impact your decision to home school. The LAFHA should however offset the school fees (mine amounted to almost 10k a year) which for now which would remove the rush to get PR until you have decided if Australia is the right choice for you.

Ok what I said previously was not 100% correct. You can apply onshore with a 121 but with a 457 the correct visa would be the ENS 856 (at least that was the advise I received when going through this recently).

And when I said modl I should have said Ensol. All the info is here if you haven't already looked into it

Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 121/856)

We applied onshore for an offshore visa so we could set our other offshore PR visa fee against it.... you have to pay two visa fees for the 457 and then the 856.... 457 can take anything from 2 to 7 weeks once the agent has faffed and got all the paperwork together (few more weeks) I believe (we got ours within 2) and then if you submit decision ready for the 856 or 121(if applying offshore) that is supposed to be done within one month.... though we applied on 14 Dec and have only just got confirmation that it is all ready to be granted so now we need to go offshore to receive it. And are therefore having to pay school fees until then... Mel - you have to pay the $4,500 per child upfront for school but they pro rata it and return some to you when you get your PR granted.... so we are expecting to only have to pay for 3/4 weeks school fees and will then claim a refund.

S

Ah! I see - that was very useful info.

The company have agreed to sponsor us for a 457 and do the LAFHA tax paperwork. They said that the tax benefit should give us the money to pay for schooling.

We are however trying to get them to also do the ENS 856 sponsorship as the sooner we get PR the better. If we had to wait for 2 years while being on the 457 and then apply for our own PR via a 175 it could take a further 2 years in which time we would lose LAFHA and have to pay full school fees. So, if we can persuade them to apply for ENS 856 either before or just after the 2 years that would be best. What are the skill assessments like? Is it like taking exams? My husband is a broadcast engineer and has experience for 10 years. Hopefully this would count?

We will get through all this red tape eventually :) THANK YOU though for your valued info - much appreciated,

xx

Mel

We lost LAFHA by having a contract that stated the my Husband's employers would apply for PR employer nominated as soon as we arrived... so you might want to be careful about what they agree to or how confirmed it is...that said although LAFHA would have been brilliant we really just want to know we can stay.

Also for employer nominated there are 3 criteria that you can satisfy one of

1) have worked for the nominating employer for 2 years

2) have more than 3 years work experience

3) earn more than $x per year..

(note i haven't looked at it recently and I know there were some changes but I think it is pretty much this still...the salary at option3 went up quite a bit)

So if your husband has 10 years experience they could apply for the 121 straight away instead of the 457..given that processing times seem to be comparable if you get all your paperwork straight or you could get them to apply for 856 as soon as you arrive which is what we did... rather than waiting 2 years...

School fees work out at $115 per week according to NSW Authority to Enrol dept who process the fees.

Skills assessments all vary - my OH is in Finance so for him it was just proving he was degree educated so just certified copies of docs

S

Wow - what a useful tip!

If they are prepared to sponsor us on an 856 after 2 years then we wont have it stated in the contract so that we dont lose LAFHA.

I personally hope they will sponsor us asap once we arrive though.

I think the 121 processing time is currently 5 months so that route is too long :(

THANK YOU for your valued info Sarahe

xxx

They introduced a fast track process for employer sponsored PR applications just before Christmas, under this they aim to finalise them within 1 month. The applications just have to be made by a migration agent and to be "decision ready" so have absolutely everything done (agents reputation is important here I suspect)...so that the case officer can pick the file up and make a decision without having to chase for bits of paperwork. We applied for 121 decision ready on 14 Dec.... but because we are onshore DIAC messed up receipting of our application and had it down as an 856 and took an extra application fee... that was sorted out by 14 Jan and we were told on about 2nd Feb that we had a CO and that now all we had to do was go offshore to get the visa actually activated. So the process is definitely alive and working

It is part of the whole change in the migration process they want to make it much easier for employers to bring people in as PR - and effectively push some of the admin management and verification of jobs experience, quality etc to them. So I would definitely recommend checking it out with your migration agent...

S

Well Sarahe - you are just a wealth of information. THANK YOU :)

We havent even started the visa process yet as still finalising a few things in the contract. HR will contact us this week however to get the ball rolling. I am not sure if they do everything themselves or if they employ an agent. Lets see what they have to say. I am hoping that they will do the 121 as it will save us alot of money.

Congrats on your visa success and here is to a happy future for you.

xxx

good luck yo you too.......its expensive here but the quality of life is amazing...

And the supermarkets have apparently started a price war (news last night) bread and milk supposed to come down - these 2 really annoy me as they are expensive and staples,,, nice loaf of wholemeal for sandwiches is $2.75 and $4 for 3L milk... they were advertising 2l for $2 as a permanent price reduction last night.

its worth buying things in the uk to bring out.... we bought a new hoover and we should have bought a washing machine with us... I also bought sheets bedding etc in the UK sales (I had children moving from cot beds to big beds) and we also bought new beds with us for them... playmobil crazy prices here so also brought christmas presents with us... that said a few uk shops have started posting direct to Australia...so M&S if you spend more than 90 pounds will send to Australia for 9 pounds... we ordered duvets to be sent out from them as they cost a fortune here... $130 for basic single duvet 9 pounds from M&S! Next is also delivering to Australia for $7.50 regardless of the amount you spend. You can also find companies on Amazon who will deliver for me but they take the VAT off... you don't have to pay VAT on goods bought in the UK that are being delivered outside the EU... so although the postage from these shops is a little more than next the cost of the items is reduced by 20%. (M&S don't take the VAT off they pocket it - i.e they are offsetting it against their postage costs which is how they keep them reasonable low).

Also before you come you can buy things from John Lewis through their export department and get them delivered direct to your shippers who then vouch for them being exported so you get to reclaim the VAT.... we bought our hoover from there (wanted a good one for all the sand!!) and should have bought a washing machine and Tumble dryer.

Good luck.... send me a message if you have further questions down the line....

Sarah

$130 for a single duvet? THAT IS CRAZY!

I will definitely be buying this side then. My twins have just moved to a bigger bed so definitely will buy duvets.

We will be renting and I was just wondering if most rental come with curtains or blinds? If not I guess we should also buy some here to take with.

Thanks soo much for your info again,

xxx

Mel

• 4 months later...
how we can get theLiving Away from Home Allowance when we will reach sydney

From what i gather you have to get this agreed as part of your job offer from your employer and written into your job offer / contract.... It is administered by your employer. It its available on a 457 visa (not sure about any other ones)..... You may have to neg this with your employer we had to.. it wasn;t offered as part of the package and then someone on here told me about it and we went back to them.... There is no cost to your employer they just have to administer it each month as part of your pay..... Thats my understanding of it but sure someone will correct me if i got anything wrong

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Clifford and Laura

Hi Melanie

Firstly, sorry about gatecrashing from South Africa, but this is a great site!. My family and I intend moving to Australia in January on a Skilled - Sponsored (subclass 176) visa.

Thank you for doing the all that work on the spreadsheet. One thing that is confusing me is that I thought state education was (almost) free and that there was a big subsidy for pre-school. Am I mistaken or does it depend on the visa class.

We also have our eye on Hornsby as it is affordable and looks nice. Two more questions:

1) I assume you have settled in now. If so, has your budget proved to be reasonably accurate?

2) Did you end up in Hornsby, and, if so, how have you found life there.

Thanking you in advance

Clifford

Guest drewbie

One thing that is confusing me is that I thought state education was (almost) free and that there was a big subsidy for pre-school. Am I mistaken or does it depend on the visa class.

I just moved here on a 457, and in my case I have to pay $4500/yr/child for school. Luckily I only have one child! It's a NSW thing, and only for people here on temporary visas. You'd want to verify if you have to pay fees or not if you have children.

We also have our eye on Hornsby as it is affordable and looks nice. Two more questions:

1) I assume you have settled in now. If so, has your budget proved to be reasonably accurate?

2) Did you end up in Hornsby, and, if so, how have you found life there.

We rented a house in Berowra 3 weeks ago, which is about 15 minutes north of Hornsby. The area we are in is fabulous, and the local schools are excellent. Our house is $600/wk, which is pretty good for a 4 bedroom with reverse cycle AC. It's an easy 15 min walk to the train station in the morning. We haven't been here long but are very happy with the location so far. First beach experience was last weekend, and I'm hoping this weekend we can hit the mountains. :)

Things are expensive in general, but LAFHA will help out a lot. Plus there are bargains to be found if you look. The circulars you get in the mailbox will be very helpful. :)

Drew

• 5 months later...

Hi Melanie,

How are you? I am Dave from the UK, and looking to move to Sydney in July ish (visa permitting) with my wife. How are you finding life in Aus? Thanks for the budgeting spreadsheet, I will certainly be using that to help me budget. I think the main cost is schooling, apart from rent!! Where did you end up? We are looking at Paramatta? I think schooling is free for perm residents, so depends what visa you have?

I hope you are all settled and enjoying life, would love to know how you are finding it, and know about the price of things across there. I read it is often worth buying bulk of things in UK and shipping them across!

Anyways, not sure if this thread is still active, so will keep it short!

Many thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Congrats on your imminent move to Sydney. We live in Berowra. Basically we just looked at the train line map and chose a nice suburban area. I believe that Parramatta is a slightly dodgy area. Basically anything West is known to be dodgy. On a 457 visa you will have to pay for school fees. They cost $4500 per child. You should however contact the school board in advance to see if you qualify for exemption. My husband earns $90k and apparently this is below the threshold for sending 3 children to school, so we are exempt.

Things are expensive but its all relative. I dont think you have to bulk buy things. What were you thinking of bulk buying? Let me know and I will keep you informed.

Cheers,

Mel

Hi Clifford,

Sorry I only saw I got a message from you today. I am from South Africa too :) Yes, each state have different laws. In NSW people on a temporary visa need to pay for schooling BUT do check with them first as you may qualify for exemption. We did! Hornsby is a nice area. Berowra is better though - I am just biased! Its right in the bush and has such a lovely community spirit. Our budget seems to be working out nicely for us. We are just careful! Cant be more expensive that SA. I was there for 3 months this year and was completely shocked at the cost of living.

Take Care,

Mel

Hi Melanie,

Thanks for replying! Great to chat to someone who is actually out there!

Yeah i am looking at areas at the moment, something within 30 mins of CBD is what I am looking for. Just hard to know whats nice etc, ideally looking for a house so we can enjoy the weather! Where are you guys from originally?

I am hoping to come in on a 176 visa, we have no kids yet so should be ok on the fees. Glad you got exempt, that should help!! I

Ah bulk buying, well we havent long been married and got a load of john lewis vouchers. So thinking about buying stuff across here and shipping it across. I think i read that amazon and next will also deliver to aus. I am thinking stuff like bedding, dinner service things etc.. How are you finding sydney, everything you had hoped for? My wife is a bit nervous, as she worries she won't make friends etc.

Many thanks again!

Dave :)

Hi Chaps and Chap-ess's!.

Is anyone else having problems opening the excel spread sheet??? ..

driving me nuts ..!! arghhh:arghh:

Archived