Moving to Victoria 2011?

cornish78

Guest MontyClaude

Another thing that I noticed was a lot of houses have tiny gardens or courtyards. Our house is quite old and has a very large garden. The houses beside us have been turned into 3 or 4 townhouses. It could be just my experience but I found I had a choice between a nice / modern house and no garden or fairly old house with a garden. Obv having 2 big dogs a small yard wasn't an option.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really useful info, thanks very much. Starting to think that Mornington is a bit too far out for us, as lovely as it looks. Am now investigating areas such as Mentone, Parkdale etc. As you say, some of the newer houses have tiny gardens so not sure my labs would like that!

I think we have to accept that if renting, we won't be living in our dream home. It's also hard to come to terms with how much we are going to be spending on rent - we've been lucky here with mortgage rates so we are paying very little - renting will be a shock to the system!

Guest ClaireL

DBC, if you look a tiny bit further south from Parkdale - Mordialloc, Aspendale, etc, I think you'll find that you'll get more for your money and a bigger garden (again, easier to find with older style houses). I used to live in Bonbeach (only a couple more stops down the line) and work in Aspendale. My husband gets the train into the CBD each day and although we are slighly further out, so takes about 40 minutes (from Edithvale), he gets a seat in the mornings. He sometimes struggles if I drop him off at Asspendale but by the time he says he gets to Parkdale / Mentone, he would be having to stand.

If you like Mornington, it's not too far to drive and visit regularly at the weekend. We often go down there and get all the benfits of the lovely area, but don't have to pay the price of the housing / length of travel.

Guest ClaireL

DBC, I forgot to ask, how old are your Labs and when do they get out of quarantine? We have a golden Lab (2 years in January) who loves to play, so if you'd ever like to meet up for a doggie play date when you / they get here, just let me know. There is a really good park in Chlesea (about 15 minutes drive max from Cheltenham) that has an off leash area and a really good kids play area.

That would be great, my two are 5 and 6 - both girls and love to play with other labs! They should be out of quarantine by mid-January and we'll then be flying them down to Melbourne. I'll give you a shout when we are all back together. Danielle :)

Archived