Quicker approval for QLD 457 ENS re rebuilding following flood

freebo

Gillard just said it as well as introducing a flood tax - assume this means folk needed for the rebuilding effort.

Good news for some???

Added info from Tanner

"Can I clarify further that your application has to be a 'DECISION READY' application to qualify for the 5-day processing time. Gillard has also let slipped a few occupations during her questioning time: Bricklayers, tilers and plumbers.

So congratulations to all above! (OP - feel free to amend your original post as you did, 'cos people are far less likely to read my post than yours, and will miss out important information)"

Just clarifying your post that this exclusively applies to 457 visa of 'selected' occupations within the building/construction industry.

Can I clarify further that your application has to be a 'DECISION READY' application to qualify for the 5-day processing time. Gillard has also let slipped a few occupations during her questioning time: Bricklayers, tilers and plumbers.

So congratulations to all above! (OP - feel free to amend your original post as you did, 'cos people are far less likely to read my post than yours, and will miss out important information)

Guest VickyMel

National Press Club address | The Australian

address by Prime Minister Julia Gillard to the National Press Club.

I've pulled out a couple of sentences here and there - not sure if this is of use for anyone here and it does not spell out the full details..?

"There is unprecedented demand in many parts of Australia for skilled labour. Unemployment is already low and participation is already rising. And that's before we add one extra tradie or truck driver to rebuild after the floods."

"Skilled labour will be as important as funding for rebuilding.

The 457 visa program for temporary skilled migrants has proven to be very responsive to prevailing economic conditions. The program is entirely demand driven by employers.

So I am announcing quicker approval for temporary skilled migrants who work on flood rebuilding. There will be extra resources, assistance to employers and simpler processes to ensure a five day turnaround for ‘decision-ready' applications for workers in a host of nominated occupations to work on rebuilding Queensland."

Guest bindog1uk

Why don't they also hurry through the perminant highly skilled people that they require, many of us on here who should get our visa's before the end of this year anyway, it's now they need the help. They change their minds so quickly trying to stop you getting in, so why can't they reverse their decision on this one. Many tradies on here itching to get over there.

It looks like they would like immigrants only to "clean up the mess" after floods. Probably, in affected areas, companies need plumbers, tilers, builders more than ever. But the clever thing is: let the temporary immigrants in, they will do their job, and after it's done, prob most of them will have to go back wherever they came from, because the demand for their skills will decrease... And most employers in Oz prefer people with PR...

Sorry for pessimism, but that's the only explanation why they won't speed up permanent skilled workers... If they only wanted , they could have made some emergency priority - they are experts at unexpected changes...

Guest VickyMel

Here it is on the DIAC web site

Helping Deliver Skills for Flood Reconstruction

Helping Deliver Skills for Flood Reconstruction The government has announced fast-track processing of 457 visa applications specifically for reconstruction jobs in flood-affected areas, providing quick access to skilled overseas labour where local supply is insufficient.

The subclass 457 visa provides a fast and flexible route for the entry of skilled workers to Australia. Under the program, a wide variety of skilled construction and engineering occupations are available for sponsorship, and employers can sponsor skilled workers for up to four years with no limit on the number of workers they sponsor.

The government is offering personalised assistance with visa applications to employers involved in reconstruction work so that they provide assistance to the reconstruction effort.

The 457 program is available to businesses of any size – in fact, the vast majority of sponsors approved for the 457 program are small to medium enterprises.

Available occupations

The 457 visa is part of Australia's broader skilled migration program. There is a wide range of occupations that can be sponsored including professionals such as engineers and tradespeople including electricians, plasterers, and builders. The full list of eligible occupations is available on the ComLaw website.

See: Subclass 457 Visa Eligible Occupations (275KB PDF file)

How you can sponsor someone

The process is straightforward. There are three key steps:

• you apply to be a business sponsor
  • you nominate the position you need from the list of eligible occupations for the 457 program
  • overseas skilled workers apply for 457 visas under your sponsorship.

Processing times

The department will give you priority processing at each stage of the application process.

When we have received completed applications at each step along the way, we will process them within five working days for each application.

Assuming that these applications meet our requirements you should have access to skilled workers in a matter of weeks.

Where the department requests further information from an employer, the processing time will depend on how long it takes for the employer to provide this information.

Skills assessment

All applicants for a 457 visa are required to demonstrate that they have the skills and experience necessary to perform their nominated occupation in Australia. A formal skills assessment is only required for workers in certain trade occupations from select countries who have not worked in Australia on a 457 visa previously.

See: Trades Recognition Australia

Overseas workers who are required to complete a skills assessment should do so before lodging their visa application.

More information

The department has dedicated officers ready to help those employers who are involved in flood reconstruction use the 457 program. Specifically, employers can contact the department to speak directly to an immigration officer who can explain the requirements and what evidence will be required.

Telephone: 131 881

You can also find out more information on the department's website.

See: Temporary Business (Long Stay) – Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)

Guest rebeccae

Hi, Who do i contact for work as bricklayer in Queensland, i am decision ready.

Does anyone no who the main contractors are. Thanks jim

Guest timpage
I hope this is good news for me i have a 457 in for Qld out on a mine near emerald so the next week will tell :biggrin:

Aren't the mines in emerald under water?

Guest timpage
Hi, Who do i contact for work as bricklayer in Queensland, i am decision ready.

Does anyone no who the main contractors are. Thanks jim

You can try Hutchinson, seem to see them everywhere.

Guest guest36187

Skilled labour will be as important as funding for rebuilding.

The 457 visa program for temporary skilled migrants has proven to be very responsive to prevailing economic conditions. The program is entirely demand driven by employers.

So I am announcing quicker approval for temporary skilled migrants who work on flood rebuilding. There will be extra resources, assistance to employers and simpler processes to ensure a five day turnaround for ‘decision-ready' applications for workers in a host of nominated occupations to work on rebuilding Queensland.

I am also doubling the pilot of relocation assistance for people on income support and directing it to Queensland. Up to 4 000 eligible jobseekers who want to get a job helping out will now receive support to move to Queensland and make a difference on the ground.

The offer to these jobseekers is simple: we can get you help to get there if you can stick at the job.

As good as this news is, please remember it is a 457 visa which is a temporary visa. This does not guarantee you passage to Permanent residency. They are using people with the skills that can get here on a 457 to assist the flood clean up. Its not a permanent job offer.

Guest mikeskinner1272

With regards the 457 only being temporary that is true, but once you get your 457 granted, apply for a ENS 121 once your out there asap...That is what the DIAC advised me.......

Mike

Why don't they also hurry through the perminant highly skilled people that they require, many of us on here who should get our visa's before the end of this year anyway, it's now they need the help. They change their minds so quickly trying to stop you getting in, so why can't they reverse their decision on this one. Many tradies on here itching to get over there.

Same feeling here. they have all ready all most all tradies in theri system. who are ready to work in brisban grant them visa soon. keep some time limit to work in Q- land like 176 has.

Archived