143 Contributory Parent Visa - Spending Time in Australia

I am 74 and my wife is 65. Both our children live in Australia, in Adelaide and Melbourne. We are hoping to go out on a subclass 143 Contributory Parent Visa which on average takes about 18 months to process. I understand that the initial visa application charge is A$1735 covering both my wife and I, and that the final visa application charge is at present A$37965 each.

We would prefer spending as much time as possible in Australia while we are waiting for our visa application to be processed, so how can we go about this legitimately. On our visits we were issued with the normal electronic holiday visa which lasts 3 months I believe, and our purpose of visit stated “holiday”. Can we extend that visa once we are out there or do we need the Tourist subclass 676 visa for 12 months which costs about A$100 each. Would we need to go offshore near the end of the visa if we wanted to apply for another holiday visa?

Finally, our state pensions and private pensions are paid into our banks in UK. Do we wait until our Contributory Parent Visa has been approved before we open an Australian bank account

I am 74 and my wife is 65. Both our children live in Australia, in Adelaide and Melbourne. We are hoping to go out on a subclass 143 Contributory Parent Visa which on average takes about 18 months to process. I understand that the initial visa application charge is A$1735 covering both my wife and I, and that the final visa application charge is at present A$37965 each.

We would prefer spending as much time as possible in Australia while we are waiting for our visa application to be processed, so how can we go about this legitimately. On our visits we were issued with the normal electronic holiday visa which lasts 3 months I believe, and our purpose of visit stated “holiday”. Can we extend that visa once we are out there or do we need the Tourist subclass 676 visa for 12 months which costs about A$100 each. Would we need to go offshore near the end of the visa if we wanted to apply for another holiday visa?

Finally, our state pensions and private pensions are paid into our banks in UK. Do we wait until our Contributory Parent Visa has been approved before we open an Australian bank account

Hi

The 676 visa is the best option because it is possible to extend without leaving Australia. You will have to go offshore before the 143 is issued .

You can open an Aussie bank account and I would recommend you do so.

Charlie

• 3 years later...
Hi

The 676 visa is the best option because it is possible to extend without leaving Australia. You will have to go offshore before the 143 is issued .

You can open an Aussie bank account and I would recommend you do so.

Charlie

Hi! everybody

I am a holder of a migrant Contributory subclass visa 143 since 2010, the visa is for 5 years and is going to expire in June 2015. I have heard through one of my relatives there that the visa is not going to be extended after that. I have not been living or long time stay since I obtained my visa but done some frequent visits because I had so many issues to solved before I can immigrate permanently. During my application, i have contributed around USD 40K+ and also AOS deposit of 10K in a Australian Bank. I have two children AUZ citizen both in Melbourne working. Can somebody tell me if really my PR is going to be cancelled. Many thanks !

Hi! everybody

I am a holder of a migrant Contributory subclass visa 143 since 2010, the visa is for 5 years and is going to expire in June 2015. I have heard through one of my relatives there that the visa is not going to be extended after that. I have not been living or long time stay since I obtained my visa but done some frequent visits because I had so many issues to solved before I can immigrate permanently. During my application, i have contributed around USD 40K+ and also AOS deposit of 10K in a Australian Bank. I have two children AUZ citizen both in Melbourne working. Can somebody tell me if really my PR is going to be cancelled. Many thanks !

No your PR won't be cancelled, it is permanent as per the "P".

However as with all permanent visas there is a 5 year travel right and once that is passed, if you are outside the country you cannot get back in on that visa. If you are inside the country, it doesn't matter. To be able to cross border control, you need to get a RRV and this becomes more difficult (but not impossible) if you are outside Australia and have not spent much time in Australia.

I am truly incredulous that somebody would spend $40k on a visa and then not move. I would strongly recommend that you move before your visa expires. Just because I would not take chances, yes you might get the RRV anyway on account of having children in Australia, but I would not risk it myself.

• 2 years later...
Hi ! Pumpkin,

Many thanks for your advice

My husband and I received the 143 contributory parent visa on the 10th Feb 2012 and it expires on 10th Feb 2017. We have stayed only 17 months in Australia during these years. Now it is time for us to apply for the Resident Return Visa. My husband does not like to stay in Australia for long period as he wants to come back to SL. Will we be able to apply for an extension or for the RRV from SL. He is 82 yrs old and is forgetful and also his right arm and leg is weak. We have 2 children and both are citizens of Australia. If one of us passes away the remaining person will be compelled to go and live with the children. Please advice.

My husband and I received the 143 contributory parent visa on the 10th Feb 2012 and it expires on 10th Feb 2017. We have stayed only 17 months in Australia during these years. Now it is time for us to apply for the Resident Return Visa. My husband does not like to stay in Australia for long period as he wants to come back to SL. Will we be able to apply for an extension or for the RRV from SL. He is 82 yrs old and is forgetful and also his right arm and leg is weak. We have 2 children and both are citizens of Australia. If one of us passes away the remaining person will be compelled to go and live with the children. Please advice.

You can apply for a RRV but of course it's not guaranteed to be approved. However you won't know until you try. If you haven't lived in Australia for at least 2 years, you may only get a 1-year RRV and future RRVs may become more difficult to obtain. It would be a shame after paying for the CPV not to move to Australia and get the use of what you've paid for.

Archived