WA Motor Mechanic Vetasses !!!

thornhilla

Hello all, i am very new to PIO and would love to hear any suggestions and personal experiances.

We are a family of 5, OH and I two daughters almost 6 and 3 and a son 9months. We have only just begun out journey. It seems rather daunting at present but sure it will get worse. We are using an Agent "Concept Australia".

OH has to do TRA/Vetassess for Motor Mechanics and then SS WA and the 175 visas. A long process, wish it were over already lol. Any ideas how long this could take? anyone just recently done this with SS and motor mechanics?

We are thinking about renting north of Perth - any suggestions probably could not afford more than $300 a week at most till we are well settled.

REally want to live in a lovely child friendly neighborhood with parks and schools close by possible walking distance.

thanks for your time.

Guest perth42

Hi Thornhilla

Welcome to PIO (it will become your new best friend trust me!) Everyone will have a different story of how long its taken/taking for a 175/176 visa... here's ours to give you an idea....

We too are using Concept Australia in Manchester. My OH is a motor mechanic and we started on the migration to Oz route some 6 yrs ago! The first time we tried (using an Aussie agent) my hubby went back into the trade as he left it a couple of years after his apprenticeship. After doing 12 months back in a small garage we applied only to be turned down at TRA with advice of get more recent experience they suggested a min of 3-5yrs. So we went away and left our dream on the backburner until we had the suggested 5yrs.

In September 2009 we started contacting the agents and started the ball rolling. Because of all the changes to the immigration in Oz we were along with everyone else sitting and waiting for the doors to open again! During this time the demand list went (along with additional points) and the OH became another year older which meant we were 5 or 10 points short for the 175 so had to wait until the recent opening of WASM.... We sent our application off to WA on the 22nd Dec 2010 and two weeks ago we got an email saying the OH's application was being assessed and thats it, we've heard nothing since... I understand once you get approval you can submit an application with DIAC and then the really waiting begins again....

My hubby did his VETASSESS in Acrington - he described the day as 'being in a driving test that lasted all day!' If your hubby is working in the trade I am sure he'll be fine.

We visited Perth March 2010 and stayed in a 3 bed in Mullaloo - nice but expensive but it was very close to the beach and only for our holiday ($900.00AUD per week). I have put some links below that you may find useful (if you have an iphone you can get the Domain app free and check properties on the rental market). When I have been looking the cheapest I have seen a 3x1 is $380PW,but have been looking in certain areas:

Houses For Rent in WA (Page 1) - realestate.com.au

http://www.domain.com.au/?mode=rent

I had been told that South of Perth - Rockingham way the housing market is a bit cheaper. When we finally get our visa I think we'd settle in the Joondalup or north area...

I'm sure you will find this thread of great help - have a look through the pages...

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/92185-all-vehicle-mechanics-thread-17.html

Hope this has been of some help. :chatterbox::biggrin:

Lou

Hi Thornhilla

Welcome to PIO (it will become your new best friend trust me!) Everyone will have a different story of how long its taken/taking for a 175/176 visa... here's ours to give you an idea....

We too are using Concept Australia in Manchester. My OH is a motor mechanic and we started on the migration to Oz route some 6 yrs ago! The first time we tried (using an Aussie agent) my hubby went back into the trade as he left it a couple of years after his apprenticeship. After doing 12 months back in a small garage we applied only to be turned down at TRA with advice of get more recent experience they suggested a min of 3-5yrs. So we went away and left our dream on the backburner until we had the suggested 5yrs.

In September 2009 we started contacting the agents and started the ball rolling. Because of all the changes to the immigration in Oz we were along with everyone else sitting and waiting for the doors to open again! During this time the demand list went (along with additional points) and the OH became another year older which meant we were 5 or 10 points short for the 175 so had to wait until the recent opening of WASM.... We sent our application off to WA on the 22nd Dec 2010 and two weeks ago we got an email saying the OH's application was being assessed and thats it, we've heard nothing since... I understand once you get approval you can submit an application with DIAC and then the really waiting begins again....

My hubby did his VETASSESS in Acrington - he described the day as 'being in a driving test that lasted all day!' If your hubby is working in the trade I am sure he'll be fine.

We visited Perth March 2010 and stayed in a 3 bed in Mullaloo - nice but expensive but it was very close to the beach and only for our holiday ($900.00AUD per week). I have put some links below that you may find useful (if you have an iphone you can get the Domain app free and check properties on the rental market). When I have been looking the cheapest I have seen a 3x1 is $380PW,but have been looking in certain areas:

Houses For Rent*in WA (Page 1) - realestate.com.au

http://www.domain.com.au/?mode=rent

I had been told that South of Perth - Rockingham way the housing market is a bit cheaper. When we finally get our visa I think we'd settle in the Joondalup or north area...

I'm sure you will find this thread of great help - have a look through the pages...

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/92185-all-vehicle-mechanics-thread-17.html

Hope this has been of some help. :chatterbox::biggrin:

Lou

Thans so much Perth42 its so encouraging. I hate the waiting never been a patient person for thing i want an answer to now! lol.

I have also been looking at properties in the North of Perth but been struggling to decide where is best i know we will move to where the jobs and schools are but to start off somewhere is difficult to pick.

Hubby has been in the same job for last 8 years but not mutch of an education trail and also no formal qualifications but over 23 years experience in total.

Grahame from Kent office is lovely and its also encouraging to know they woulndnt have taken the case if it was not promising.

Please keep me informed how you get on and good luck hope it comes soon.

Guest jackfrew

Hi Thornhilla,

I know it M-L (Perth42) you would be first to put a post in. LOL. Welcome Thornhilla. This is our story. We had a works sponsor in 2008, sold the house, all furniture in container and went, moved in with parents, due to Fly in Feb 09. Then our world crashed the couple that bought the house didn't come across with the money (after signing everything). Tried for a year to sell an empty house and the recession. We gave up, got all our furniture back, moved back into our house (not really my house) in Dec 09. Then in March 10 we decided to do it again but on a 176 visa. We are with Visa-Go in Edinburgh they have been great. Went with them in April, OH sat his practical in Accrington in Aug (quick). OH said" the longest day of his life, that he wont get back" but passed. I think he keep thinking what if I fail, I will fail the family, it is a family dream. We then lodged on 20th Dec 10, got a email back on 10th Jan 11, to say we are being assessed. So fingers crossed we hear soon.

Where do you stay? There is a seminar in Edinburgh on Sat 12th Feb, with all the usual contacts, and WA and VIC migration Officials.

Hope we have helped if you need anymore info, just ask or Private Message.

Good luck.

Sharon

Guest jackfrew

We are going to Perth, North of the River. Looking at Butler, Clarkson, Connelly and surrounding area's. Really we will go where the work is.

We have 2 boy's aged 8 and 3. So roll on them getting more outdoor life, them being stuck in the last 2 month,s has been a nightmare.

Speak soon,

Sharon

Guest perth42
Hi Thornhilla,

I know it M-L (Perth42) you would be first to put a post in. LOL. Welcome Thornhilla. This is our story. We had a works sponsor in 2008, sold the house, all furniture in container and went, moved in with parents, due to Fly in Feb 09. Then our world crashed the couple that bought the house didn't come across with the money (after signing everything). Tried for a year to sell an empty house and the recession. We gave up, got all our furniture back, moved back into our house (not really my house) in Dec 09. Then in March 10 we decided to do it again but on a 176 visa. We are with Visa-Go in Edinburgh they have been great. Went with them in April, OH sat his practical in Accrington in Aug (quick). OH said" the longest day of his life, that he wont get back" but passed. I think he keep thinking what if I fail, I will fail the family, it is a family dream. We then lodged on 20th Dec 10, got a email back on 10th Jan 11, to say we are being assessed. So fingers crossed we hear soon.

Where do you stay? There is a seminar in Edinburgh on Sat 12th Feb, with all the usual contacts, and WA and VIC migration Officials.

Hope we have helped if you need anymore info, just ask or Private Message.

Good luck.

Sharon

Hehehehehe Sharon - you know me up early for my fix of PIO before work and throughout the day (breaktime of course!).

We have friends in Clarkson and they also recommended Bulter to us. :jiggy:

hi there we too are using concept oz, we've steve and martin very helpful, i am too a mechanic though i work on buses and am about to sit my practical on 22nd feb and to be frank im pooing myself, where is your hubby doing his? anyhow welcome to PIO and please feel free to ask any questions you like.

Hi Majestic Ric, hope it all goes well for you, where in Oz are you planning on heading to? Hubby has not yet got a date we were hoping to be In for Feb but there was a problem with the TRA website and so have been delayed sti;; trying to get the theory in as hubby has no formals, had to do a massive affidavit but agent just called to say that he needs to chat to us this evening as Hubby has touched on other occupations and there is an issue with that. So very nervous now and just know the day is going to drag. Started considering a 457 in the meantime.

Guest Cellefrouin

Hi ThornHilla,

Welcome to PIO. You are not alone...plenty of Mechanics making the move to WA! We originally started our journey in 2008 but got side-winked and stayed put, opening up a business...now nearly 3 years later we wished we'd gone to WA when we had the job offer on the table! Still...you live and learn and we are now more determined to make a go of it.

I am now in the process of contacting the people who offered the job in the first place to see if they still want my OH...probably not but it's worth a try!

There is a Mechanics thread on PIO aswell which you might find useful.

Regards,

Caroline.

Hi ThornHila, hubby sat VESTASSESS in accrington last August and said it was a really tough long day like others have said. But he did say that if you know your stuff you really have nothing to worry about, they are not there to catch you out and trick you, they just want to make sure that you can do what you say you can, so don't worry too much (easy for us to say I know!):cute:

Any questions feel free to ask.

We are heading to Aveley area for renting at first before taking a good look around hopefully closer to the beach.

Good luck, keep us posted on how you get on.

Dawn x