What counts as regional work for 2nd WHV?

Guest sdpd

Hi all

Just wondered if you could shed some light on "regional work" for me please. We haven't even arrived in Oz on our 1st WHV yet but we're thinking that if it's as good as everyone says it is we will probably want to get a 2nd WHV! I know you have to complete 3 months regional work but just wanted to clarify exactly what this means? I suppose the obvious stuff is fruit-picking, working on a farm etc but do other jobs count as well if they are undertaken outside of the city? Where exactly is "regional Australia"?!! For example, my boyfriend has seen ads for carpentry work with regional work available so I take it that qualifies? As for me, I'm an accountant...is there any chance I can work as an accountant in some area of Australia that qualifies as "regional"?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Definition of specified work

Specified work is any type of work described in the list below:

• plant and animal cultivation
    • cultivating or propagating plants, fungi or their products or parts
    • general maintenance crop work
    • harvesting and/or packing fruit and vegetable crops
    • immediate processing of animal products including shearing, butchery in an abattoir, packing and tanning
      Note: Secondary processing of animal products, such as small goods processing and retail butchery is not eligible
    • immediate processing of plant products
    • maintaining animals for the purpose of selling them or their bodily produce, including natural increase
    • manufacturing dairy produce from raw material
    • pruning and trimming vines and trees.

[*]fishing and pearling

• conducting operations relating directly to taking or catching fish and other aquatic species
    • conducting operations relating directly to taking or culturing pearls or pearl shell.

[*]tree farming and felling

• felling trees in a plantation or forest
    • planting or tending trees in a plantation or forest that are intended to be felled
    • transporting trees or parts of trees that were felled in a plantation or forest to the place where they are first to be milled or processed or from which they are to be transported to the place where they are to be milled or processed.

[*]mining

• coal mining
    • oil and gas extraction
    • metal ore mining
    • non-metallic mineral mining and quarrying
    • exploration and other mining support services not including secondary activities such as book-keeping, catering and transport.

[*]construction

• building construction
    • heavy and civil engineering construction
    • construction services including metal wall cladding fixing to buildings, petrol bowser installation, sand blasting or steam cleaning of building exteriors, scaffolding construction, waterproofing of building.

Work undertaken in the areas of plant and animal cultivation, fishing and pearling, and tree farming and felling must be described in the list above to meet the specified work requirement.

The Australian New Zealand Standard Industrial Classification (ANZSIC) provides further detail about eligible work in mining and construction. Work undertaken in the mining and construction sectors must appear in the ANZSIC division for these sectors to meet the specified work requirement.

See:

ANZSIC - Mining Division

ANZSIC - Construction Division

Supporting work, such as book-keeping, in any industry described in the list above does not meet the definition of specified work.

Specified work:

• does not need to be paid work
    Example: Work undertaken as a volunteer or through the Willing Workers on Organic Farms (WWOOF) scheme may qualify if the work falls within the specified work definition listed above.
  • does not need to be undertaken as a direct employee
    Example: Work undertaken as a contractor is eligible if it falls within the specified work definition listed above.
  • must be described in the list above

Examples of eligible specified work:

• picking fruits on a farm or orchard
  • feeding and herding cattle which are kept for commercial purposes
  • constructing a house
  • extracting ore on a mine site.

Examples of ineligible specified work:

• working at a cellar door providing wine tastings
  • undertaking an archaeological survey
  • working as a caterer or cook on a mine site
  • working as an architect or town planner
  • working as a cook or cleaner while volunteering through the WWOOF scheme
  • helping to construct ships or boats.

Specified work in disaster affected areas

Construction work can be vital in helping regional disaster zones, such as those affected by flood or bushfire, to rebuild and recover from disaster.

Working Holiday visa holders who conduct construction work in eligible regional areas of Australia following disasters can count the work as specified work. This work may be paid or unpaid work.

Examples of construction work that qualify as specified work include:

• demolition of buildings, trench digging, land clearing and earth moving
  • residential and non-residential construction or renovation/repair, including of roads, footpaths, bridges, parking lots, fencing, railways, dams, irrigation systems, sewage and storm water drainage systems.

A full list of eligible construction activities is available from the Australia Bureau of Statistics website.

See: Division E – Construction

How to find specified work

You can find specified work vacancies in the same way as you would find other job vacancies, such as through employment pages in newspapers, the Internet and job placement service providers. Vacancies specifically for plant and animal cultivation can be found on the Harvest Trail website.

Note: Not all vacancies advertised on the Harvest Trail website will qualify you for a second Working Holiday visa.

See: Harvest Trail

Regional Australia Postcode List

The table below lists all postcodes classified as part of regional Australia for specified work.

To meet the three month specified work requirement for a second Working Holiday visa, work must be completed in an area whose postcode is included in the list.

Specified work completed in areas that do not fit within the definition of regional Australia cannot be counted towards the requirement.

Specified work must actually be done within an eligible regional Australia postcode area. Work that is completed in a non-eligible postcode area for an employer, whose office or post office box is in a regional Australia postcode area, does not meet the requirement.

Note: Not all postcodes in the Hunter Valley fit within the definition of regional Australia.

regional.png

an interesting fact I found out with my many conversations with the DIAC regarding my second WHV, was that if you find a job that only requires you at weekends, or the job only requires you one or 2 days a week, as long as you do it for the 3 months, that is acceptable.

Watch out for fruit picking though. Some places are a real con, they say you dont get paid for your first day, and after day 1 theyve worked you so hard you quit. They do this every day with the streams of backpackers etc and they get free labour for the entire season.

• 1 year later...