Irish people going to (already in) Tassie

ayatollah

Just reading some of posts about people moving to Hobart and I just want to say I wish it was me! I'm from Armagh and have been to Tasmania numerous times over the years, still trying to convince the wife to move over...Making slow progress!

Anyway, my dad founded the Irish Association of Tasmania over 20 years ago and it's still going strong today. It is based in the New Sydney Hotel on Bathurst Street in Hobart and is an extremely welcoming place. Some of the founders are still actively involved, while others have passed away. They hold a seisún every Saturday in the New Sydney so you go down and check it out.

They also hold a Fleadh every year and I went to my first one last year. It is 3 days of brilliant craic, music and drinking! They get bands from all over Australia to play and is really a great time. This year is their 20th Fleadh and so will be a big celebration. It is held in the first couple of weeks in March so if you are over for then make sure you go down.

Either way you should call in to the New Sydney and chat to the bar manager, Alan, about the Irish Association and he'll give you more info. The guys you should seek out in the IAOT would be Mick Lynch, Joan Crossin and Peter Grubb. They have been there from the start and are really great people. If you do catch up with them say Peadar McMahon sent you!

I know it's hard settling in a new place but it helps if you have people you can relate to and the IAOT can help with that.

Hope it can be of some help to you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SunshineSmile

Hi Peadar,

Only just spotted your thread sorry! Have been off line for the last 3 weeks as we had no internet where we were staying..have it back now until we leave on 24th of this month.

Will be checking out the New Sydney for a pint when we arrive!

Cheers mate :wink:

Steph

• 1 month later...
Guest SunshineSmile

Missed last wk end but was in the New Sydney for Paddys day on Thursday. Serious hangover Friday!!!! Great spot I have to say. I will be posting over the next few days about our arrival in Hobart, keep an eye out for my post., The New Sydney has become a bit of a "local" for us, it really is a smashing pub.

• 11 months later...

I'm just going to throw out another reminder here that the Fleadh 2012 is NEXT weekend, from the 9th! Anyone, regardless of being Irish or not, should head to the New Sydney Hotel to find out more information! Best weekend you'll have! :wink:

• 2 weeks later...