Australian houses dearest

Petals

Guest chris955

Bob, your UK prices seem on the high side and your Australian prices low.

These are what I found for a couple of months ago.

Sydney, NSW $582,000 + 2.3 % Melbourne, Vic $499,000 + 2.5 % Brisbane, Qld $460,000 + 6.7 % Adelaide, SA $400,000 - 5.2 % Perth, WA $495,000 - 2.8 %

These were the median house prices across Australia’s five biggest cities rounded to the nearest grand……

• Sydney: $577,000
  • Melbourne: $492,000
  • Perth: $475,000
  • Brisbane: $452,000
  • Adelaide: $379,000

Average about 7.4 x

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think house prices here are going to fall by much, so people need to research properly and adjust their expectations accordingly. My wife's friend lived in a 2 up 2 down in Kirkby and drove a Fiesta. Now, fresh from buying a brand new Ford Territory, she is moaning that 'Australia is a rip off' because she can't afford a 2-storey mansion in Quinns Rocks with a huge pool and an Ocean view. They cost about a million $s.

Insane.

New buyers now want a 3 x 2 minimum, garage, pool, plasmas in every room and they want it now. Not prepared to save up for a couple of years. Peoples expectations will have to change I fear.

No, not really.

I don't want a pool or 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and certanly do not want plasmas in every room, have an old fashioned box telly, and it does us fine, hardly watch it.

All I would want is a humble place we could call home with a half decent small garden for my daughter to play in.

Oh, and have been saving for years and years, but refuse to put all our life savings into a bubble (which almost certanly will burst) and still be burdened with a huge mortgage.

With these prices, someone would need more than just a couple of years to save up for a decent deposit.

Getting rid of negative gearing would help as mum and dad investors compete with first home buyers for the lower end of the market and push prices up.

A small house here went for around three twenty this last week, it was on the market for a week and you can bet an investor would have snapped it up.

I have watched a lot of smaller homes here ideal for a first home with quite large land go to investors. Yes they provide rentals and rentals are needed but this is the gov way of avoiding providing long time secure homes for people on lower incomes. Lets face it our lives would be so different without lower paid workers. The tasks they complete we take for granted.

By which time the house has gone up in value by 2, 3 or 4 x the amount saved, so no further forward:cry:

Yes, that's right, I think that's part of the problem. By the time you scrape a decent deposit together, the value of the properties have possibly shot up too much over a short period of time, therefore you'd still have to borrow a substantial amount to buy.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

It all depends where you go in Australia, we saw some incredible houses, new builds state of the art, huge living areas, and not far from the city, 20km and a similar distance to the fantastic beaches. My sister has a huge bungalow type house, similar in size here in the uk and she has just had it valued at £500,000 and she lives in a low cost housing area, but this house is rare in the uk and when we were in Australia in Brisbane and Perth, this type of house was the norm and you could get it for £200,000 less. Yes the houses are very dear in Australia, but you can still get that huge dream house, that is out of most peoples reach here in the uk, where the majority of houses are small, i live on a big modern estate here in Yorkshire and my house is a 4 bedroomed detached house and it is the biggest house on this estate, but compared to the houses in Australia, the living space doesn't compare. Yes they are dearer but the houses are so much bigger and the fixtures and fittings are fanatastic, huge walk in showers and wardrobes, huge en suites and master bedrooms, and the living kitchen open plan areas, were massive, two to three times bigger than most houses in the uk and in general they had more than one living area.

Guest chris955

That is exactly why more and more people have to settle for renting and buying is becoming an unachievable dream OR you go into huge debt for a McMansion on a tiny block and hope you keep your job and interest rates don't go up any more. This is why our housing is considered the least affordable in the world.

Yes, that's right, I think that's part of the problem. By the time you scrape a decent deposit together, the value of the properties have possibly shot up too much over a short period of time, therefore you'd still have to borrow a substantial amount to buy.

Why do people strive to have big houses? you can only live in one room at a time and as long as you have a bedroom each for teenage children you do not need a massive house to live in to be honest.

It is all down to the more I have the more I want.

Guest peacock
To be honest mate if anyone could be bothered you could pull links like that about every Country going.

sorry thought this was a discussion forum, why bother if you cant add anything constructive,

Guest famousfive

Our local paper ran an article today which quoted from the 7th Damographia International Housing Affordability Survey and Coffs Harbour was listed number 5 in the severely unaffordable list[table 8,page 20].Housing is relatively cheap here but wages are crap so of course housing is then unaffordable.This is the crunch,NOT how big the houses are or even what price they are but how hard it is to pay them off.And as for the size of houses,yes aussie new builds are big but older houses can be dinky.And also worth bearing in mind that many people here have new big houses now but cannot afford to live in them let alone afford to enjoy the aussie lifestyle AND have that big home.

The above survey is available online but due to some stupid glitch in my brain I can't seem to figure out how to post a link.

Why do people strive to have big houses? you can only live in one room at a time and as long as you have a bedroom each for teenage children you do not need a massive house to live in to be honest.

It is all down to the more I have the more I want.

You appear to have answered your own question.

Guest chris955

Seriously look back at most of your recent posts, I can't believe you said that.

sorry thought this was a discussion forum, why bother if you cant add anything constructive,

You appear to have answered your own question.

Does not have to be a big house to have say 3 4 or even 5 bedrooms, single bedrooms can take up little space and why families need more than one or two bathrooms is beyond me.

Six people in my house as a kid and found one bathroom with one toilet was no problem.

Guest siamsusie
Does not have to be a big house to have say 3 4 or even 5 bedrooms, single bedrooms can take up little space and why families need more than one or two bathrooms is beyond me.

Six people in my house as a kid and found one bathroom with one toilet was no problem.

Two bathrooms are essential, I dont like other peoples bums on my loo seat:tongue:

Two bathrooms are essential, I dont like other peoples bums on my loo seat:tongue:

No they are not siamsusie, it is just that we ahve become to soft, one bathroom will be empty 99% of the time with a family of say 4, so why have more?

Guest siamsusie
No they are not siamsusie, it is just that we ahve become to soft, one bathroom will be empty 99% of the time with a family of say 4, so why have more?

For me it is essential, for you maybe not... I generally have many people staying and another bathroom and loo is important for us.

Guest chris955

2 bathrooms certainly aren't essential, if you have 2 then that is fine but you don't need them. Spare a thought for us, when we lived in Geelong for 9 years we lived in a tiny 3 bed house. There were 6 kids and parents and at one stage we had our grandparents live with us while they were over from the UK. I still laugh about it with my brothers and wonder how on Earth we managed. We did get a sleep out after a few years where my eldest brother lived.

I must admit we are looking at 4 bedrooms when we go back to the UK, we need 3 and one spare but could live without 4.

For me it is essential, for you maybe not... I generally have many people staying and another bathroom and loo is important for us.

Thats fair enough if you have lots of people staying all the time but what i am saying is that for a normal family you do not need more than one bathroom.

Guest chris955

That is definitely true, we don't need 2 bathrooms, loads of spare bedrooms, double garage etc but we have come to expect it and that is indeed the problem.

Guest siamsusie
Thats fair enough if you have lots of people staying all the time but what i am saying is that for a normal family you do not need more than one bathroom.

It depends what you are used to, in London I always had two bathrooms, Scotland the same, St . Margarets Kent I had one and to be frank it was inconvenient.

In Karratha we have l bathroom, thats so painful when the kids are messing about for hours in it...

Another "essential" for me is the laundry room which is the norm here. Space in europe is of the essence I agree but "washing machines" in the kitchen has to be one of the most unhygenic things going!

Still living in the bush probably suits me better and I can choose which tree to have a wee under:biggrin: