Moving to Canberra...feet not touching the ground!

MrsMoo

Hi there

I posted in the Education section but apart from that this is my first foray into PIO.

My husband has just had confirmation that we are moving to Canberra with his company, from the UK, for 12-18 months (possibly even longer) and its all going to be a roller-coaster ride with the expectation being that we'll be out there by March-April!

On the plus side, the financial package is fabulous but on the negative (as I posted in Education) my 13 year old twin boys may be struggling education-wise and I'm worried about how that will pan out. I'm also nervous at seeing so many people saying that good rental property is as rare as rocking-horse poo, but I'm also seeing on Real estate properties & homes for sale, rent and share that there are 6-8 properties showing up new every day that look suitable, so I'm guessing they must be snapped up really quickly.

I'm probably going to have the luxury of not working (first time in my life) while we're out there because most of the work requires Australian citizenship. Do you think I'll be able to keep myself occupied? :laugh:

Well a big hello to everyone who's embarking on this adventure too; its scary but exciting and I can't wait to get started.

Hi! So you decided to come!

Rentals are always coming on the market and at this time of year they are gone in the blink of an eye if they are any good. It will slow down a bit in a month or so, once the uni students are all settled. Dont be misled by the pictures on allhomes either, they could make a dump look like Buckingham Palace! And you will need to check out the neighbourhood for rusty holdens on the nature strip. Also, if you have no idea about where you want to be then you have the freedom to go anywhere. I know that my ex boss has been looking for a couple of months and found nothing - but she is fairly specific about the area she wants to live in. Where were you thinking of?

You would get more buzz as a non working mum if you lived in the inner suburbs rather than out in the mulga but, honestly, there isnt that much around to keep you occupied during the day - remember that most families here are double income families to service the mortgage. My d-i-l is even finding it hard to find other young mums with babies and she is a Canberra girl, recently returned from the bush. I wouldnt have any problem keeping myself occupied as my hobbies are now very much computer based or craft. There are plenty of gyms and pools though if that is your bent. There are lots of places that welcome volunteers as well.

It rather depends on your skill set as to whether you would get work or not. The non gov sector has jobs too! We recently advertised for a very lowly admin position and got 56 applicants and the successful one already had a relationship with the organization. You could probably pick up contract work.

As your DH is only here for 12 - 18 months, does that mean you are coming on a 457 visa? If so, be aware that the ACT charges international school fees for kids ($10k pa per child) unless the occupation is on the SOL list (you would need a ruling in writing from the International students section before committing, I suggest). Last time I checked, the Catholic system didnt charge international fees, just their regular fees and that worked out a bit cheaper. If you can afford it, and you can get them in, you might like to look at Canberra Grammar or Radford for your boys or, failing that St Edmunds or Marist if you are worried about them returning to the UK system. You said they are 13 - if they havent turned 14 by 30 April they will be in year 8 here this year.

Always happy to catch up for coffee - I only work part time these days - and if I can help do send me a pm

Is that an open invitation to meet up?? Just arrived on Friday (28th) and it would be good to meet up with someone in Canberra who knows the way around. Could do with advice on rentals versus buying, schools, fees, areas to llive, health insurance etc etc.

Regards

Ice Cream

PS What's a pm? afternoon, post mortem, prime minister?

Is that an open invitation to meet up?? Just arrived on Friday (28th) and it would be good to meet up with someone in Canberra who knows the way around. Could do with advice on rentals versus buying, schools, fees, areas to llive, health insurance etc etc.

Regards

Ice Cream

PS What's a pm? afternoon, post mortem, prime minister?

Oh for heaven's sake do NOT send me a prime minister! Happy to catch up with any newbies for coffee though (Civic is best for me) pm = personal message. I think you could say I know my way around, been here almost 32 years!

Archived