help! any advice/info on autistic son and move to oz (or not)

suziblue

I think that the previous post confused citizenship and permanent residency. If you and all your family have got permanent residency with your visas then you are in the same position as you would be in the UK. The "diagnosis" and labelling of autism is such an inexact science that I wouldn't worry especially as he is doing well at school etc. He'll just need a bit of extra care settling him after the move....

Guest The Collins Family

Thanks Fiz, Our visa is a 457 Temporary visa with the option to go for a permanent one/citizenship after 3 years. I know that he will be fine in school after the initial adjustment stage I just thought it is best to know all the facts for the future so we can make our move as positive as possible for our son.:jiggy:

Thanks Fiz, Our visa is a 457 Temporary visa with the option to go for a permanent one/citizenship after 3 years. I know that he will be fine in school after the initial adjustment stage I just thought it is best to know all the facts for the future so we can make our move as positive as possible for our son.:jiggy:

You wont get citizenship after 3 years. You might get sponsored or be eligible for independent PR visa at any point. You can only apply for citizenship after you have been on a PR visa for a year, after living on Aus for a previous 3 yrs on any visa. Thats how the rules are now, could change before you become eligible anyway.

All about citizenship.........

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/

• 1 year later...
Guest sc0ttch

hi there, just had a catch up read on all posts. i am getting close to a similar situation myself. i was hoping to move to Oz next year with the girlfriend and her son, who is 4 and has autistic tendencies, he has autism very mildly. i was wondering if anybody knew if the above was aimed at any case of autism or just the more severe cases where the child would need a greater amount of private care and education etc? it is very unfair that this is the way but what can you do eh. the wee guy may need some but little extra care. i personally wouldn't mind covering the costs of private school if need be

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

This is my first time posting comment here in this forum. Can say i'm a newbie.

By the way, i am applying for Australia skilled visa 190 and i have a son aged 3 years 6 months, whom has speech delay and minor tantrum behavior. We have not send him to any professional to conduct ASD diagnosis yet.Although he has shows some signs of mild autism but his speech pathologist has high hope that he'll recover because up to now he is able to follow instructions, point finger to what he wants, and learning to say abc.

After looking at all the above advice, my only option is to get my PR visa done and follow fiz advice. That is to bring along my family to Australia and send my son to a private school.

My question is will my son's visa be rejected if the ASD diagnosis conducted in Australia later proves that my son is an autistic?

Please advice. Thank you in advance.

Weez

Hi all,

By the way, i am applying for Australia skilled visa 190 and i have a son aged 3 years 6 months, whom has speech delay and minor tantrum behavior. We have not send him to any professional to conduct ASD diagnosis yet.Although he has shows some signs of mild autism but his speech pathologist has high hope that he'll recover because up to now he is able to follow instructions, point finger to what he wants, and learning to say abc.

After looking at all the above advice, my only option is to get my PR visa done and follow fiz advice. That is to bring along my family to Australia and send my son to a private school.

My question is will my son's visa be rejected if the ASD diagnosis conducted in Australia later proves that my son is an autistic?

Weez

No. My son was diagnosed here despite us thinking that he had developmental delays. He had no official diagnosis at the time of visa application though, and we saw no reason to declare our observations/thoughts. If your son has no diagnosis, then I would hazard a guess there is no obligation to state his "problems" (as you see them). They may, after all, just be indicative of your son being a "slow learner" and his 'minor tantrums" just indicative of frustration.

Oz doesn't want to let in kids with autism(whatever that is) it seems.

My sister and her husband had a job offer in Australia - an excellent job with excellent prospects and salary. They have 4 kids, 1 of which has autism. However the Australian government issued everyone a visa expect for the autistic child. They were being sponsored by an Australian company to go there with full citizenship? I think they still could of gone to Australia on a temporary work visa but they wanted citizenship so in the end didn't go.

To be honest I don't know all the ins and outs of what visda they applied for and the one they got but in the end they realized that with the visa issued they would have to pay out of their own pocket all medical and special schooling costs for the autistic child.

I still think they could of gone and applied for full citizenship afterwards while they were there - but they did not want to take the risk.

One thing I am sure about is if their child was not diagnosed Autistic these issues would not of arisen.

Was a shame really as the child was very young(in my thoughts too young to be labeled under the umbrella of autism). Anyway hope you have the courage to go if you get the Visa!

Good luck!

A company cannot give you citizenship!

Hi we are in the process of moving to oz, my husband works with a guy in construction whos son has the same condition as yours and they are thinking of moving too but have the same concerns, (its not you is it?) he works for Murphys. anyway let me have a chat with my husband tonight and see what they have found out and where they are at as it seems they are in exactly the same position as you x

Hi all, This is my first time posting comment here in this forum. Can say i'm a newbie. By the way, i am applying for Australia skilled visa 190 and i have a son aged 3 years 6 months, whom has speech delay and minor tantrum behavior. We have not send him to any professional to conduct ASD diagnosis yet.Although he has shows some signs of mild autism but his speech pathologist has high hope that he'll recover because up to now he is able to follow instructions, point finger to what he wants, and learning to say abc. After looking at all the above advice, my only option is to get my PR visa done and follow fiz advice. That is to bring along my family to Australia and send my son to a private school. My question is will my son's visa be rejected if the ASD diagnosis conducted in Australia later proves that my son is an autistic? Please advice. Thank you in advance.

Just wanted to wish you luck with ur visa. I think I too would hold off an official diagnosis of ASD.

I work with ASD kids and the only thing that would concern me is that the earlier they receive intervention the easier it is for them to progress. I don't mind sharing my experience with you if you msg me. I have a few ideas on how you might avoid some of the minor tantrums if that would make things a little easier for you all in the meantime. Good luck x

Just wanted to wish you luck with ur visa. I think I too would hold off an official diagnosis of ASD.

I work with ASD kids and the only thing that would concern me is that the earlier they receive intervention the easier it is for them to progress.

Fully agree, but a dx just to get the "professionals"on board early, isn't neccessarily the correct way to go if you are wanting to migrate as a dx may prevent that. There is enough research and literature to enable a parent to implement those early interventions without help from professionals, as long as the child isn't "low functioning".

Fully agree, but a dx just to get the "professionals"on board early, isn't neccessarily the correct way to go if you are wanting to migrate as a dx may prevent that. There is enough research and literature to enable a parent to implement those early interventions without help from professionals, as long as the child isn't "low functioning".

Absolutely :biggrin:. That's what I advised too. The OP has contacted me and Ill give them as much info as I can to help them in the meantime.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

Weez

Hi and sorry for delay. I'd agree with the others who've replied-don't rush to get a formal diagnosis but continue with the speech therapist etc. My grandson got "diagnosed" when he started at kindy in Australia but no-one ever suggested that his visa was in danger because of this. My (personal) opinion is that the ASD label can be applied a little too readily and I wouldn't seek it in either country unless things deteriorate ....

Hi and sorry for delay. I'd agree with the others who've replied-don't rush to get a formal diagnosis but continue with the speech therapist etc. My grandson got "diagnosed" when he started at kindy in Australia but no-one ever suggested that his visa was in danger because of this. My (personal) opinion is that the ASD label can be applied a little too readily and I wouldn't seek it in either country unless things deteriorate ....

Looking at the feedback coming from the new DSMV it appears likely that a numbers of those diagnosed are going to be undiagnosed soon! Which is no bad thing IMHO! It's a label slapped on far too readily.

Looking at the feedback coming from the new DSMV it appears likely that a numbers of those diagnosed are going to be undiagnosed soon! Which is no bad thing IMHO! It's a label slapped on far too readily.

Hi guys,

We are applying for a 186 visa after passing our meds. This is fantastic news as our 11 year old has Aspergers.

Quoll, DSMV are taking away the diagnosis of Aspergers, PDD NOS etc and will use the general diagnosis of autism. As far as I know kids won't be 'undiagnosed'.

Yes, I believe it wouldn't be a good idea for the OP to get her son assessed before emigrating.

However I'm very puzzled to read that posters are saying it's not a good idea to be assessed and 'labelled' as autistic, etc.

My husband and I were glad our lad was diagnosed with Aspergers. Since then our son's self esteem has sky rocketed. Before then he was bullied for being 'the slow kid' in the class and he hated who he was. After he was diagnosed we could explain to him what Aspergers is, that his strengths of memory skills,scientific abilities etc are because of his Aspergers. He is very proud of having Aspergers. The kids in his class were taught what Aspergers is. His teachers found ways to help him and begun to understand why he was struggling in certain academic subjects.

Ok,there is a stigma about mental illness and we did worry that he would be ostracised for having Aspergers. Luckily the kids in his school don't see his 'label'- they accept him for who he is. If he comes across bullying in future we' ll deal with that. I'd like to think he'd be much more able to deal with it knowing his diagnosis compared to the person he was before he knew he had Aspergers.

Hi guys,

We are applying for a 186 visa after passing our meds. This is fantastic news as our 11 year old has Aspergers.

Quoll, DSMV are taking away the diagnosis of Aspergers, PDD NOS etc and will use the general diagnosis of autism. As far as I know kids won't be 'undiagnosed'.

Yes, I believe it wouldn't be a good idea for the OP to get her son assessed before emigrating.

However I'm very puzzled to read that posters are saying it's not a good idea to be assessed and 'labelled' as autistic, etc.

My husband and I were glad our lad was diagnosed with Aspergers. Since then our son's self esteem has sky rocketed. Before then he was bullied for being 'the slow kid' in the class and he hated who he was. After he was diagnosed we could explain to him what Aspergers is, that his strengths of memory skills,scientific abilities etc are because of his Aspergers. He is very proud of having Aspergers. The kids in his class were taught what Aspergers is. His teachers found ways to help him and begun to understand why he was struggling in certain academic subjects.

Ok,there is a stigma about mental illness and we did worry that he would be ostracised for having Aspergers. Luckily the kids in his school don't see his 'label'- they accept him for who he is. If he comes across bullying in future we' ll deal with that. I'd like to think he'd be much more able to deal with it knowing his diagnosis compared to the person he was before he knew he had Aspergers.

They reckon that the diagnostic criteria are being tightened up and I recently saw a report which suggests that something like only around 60% of currently diagnosed kids will actually meet the criteria for DSMV but I haven't seen the new criteria http://www.jaacap.com/article/S0890-8567(12)00042-1/abstract. Whether states will require reassessment for disability services is probably unlikely as it would be too monster a task - they'll probably require evidence of the new criteria or newly diagnosed kids and possibly at points of transition. All the current Pervasive Developmental Disorders will be amalgamated in DSMV as Autism Spectrum Disorders which seems to be what people have been calling them for the past decade or so anyway.

​I believe diagnosis in UK is a tad more stringent than in Aus and there are, unfortunately, many reports of kids being diagnosed just so they can be considered for disability support however the move has been away from support due to label towards support due to significant functional deficit with the "label" being just the first step in assessment. A lot of kids with the Asperger or PDDNOS "label" get little to no support because their deficits are not significant and some states are more stringent than others with their eligibility for support.

Edited by Quoll

I have never accepted Aspergers as a "condition". My personal belief has always lain with "Autisitic Spectrum Disorder".

My son's ability to function "normally" is dependent on many factors, mainly in the "sensory" area and that functioning can vary greatly. On his day/s of assessment, he was fairly "on the ball" and yet his assessment read that he was only 2 points off being classified as co-morbid "intellectually impaired". He received the Aspie dx despite his non-stereotypical behaviours. This dx would, (at that time) have led his educators to expect the stereotypical behaviours eg anti-social, when in fact, he was, and always has been very social. No doubt they would also expect him to be "nerd like" ie "good with computers/maths etc, which he wasn't. What we, as his parents recognised in him, was his 'recall"............his uncanny abilty to remember facts..........but only those facts that were of relevance/interest to him. These were mainly based around the family trees of 70's /80's rock bands and their personal details. .............he also memorised any routes that we drove. As this behaviour was "kept to ourselves" (purposely) it prevented his educators from seeing him as a savant, therby expecting him to perform better in other areas.....................so.................to sum up......................I think our insistence that he was seen as Autistic and not Aspie helped others not to expect more of him as many educators at that time seemed to focus more on behaviour than ability to perform academically.........they expected Aspies to have behavioural/social problems but perform well academically, which on a personal level, I knew not to be so in all cases as I had met several people who's children had been dx'd aspie who also weren't "sterotypical and who had problems academically.

Changing the DSMV to a single dx of "autistic spectrum" in light of the above, would help professionals such as teachers etc, understand the full implications of Autism.................would perhaps do away with the stereotyping of "high functioning" aspies and "low - functioning Auties"...............that on any given day, an autistic person may function higher or lower than his norm..............no different than neuro-typicals. The biggest benefit that I can see in Oz, is that those poor buggers who dipped out of a dx of Autism simply because they failed to fulfill just one or two criteria..................hence they were dx'd PDDNos, may now be included and get the assistance that was lacking under their dx of PDDNos, many of whom, I have seen have much more problems than my son, who received asistance, ever did

Edited by Johndoe

Hi Quoll and John,

I'm so sorry that it has taken me so long to get back to you. Thankyou both so much for your replies. I totally see both your view points.

Quoll, when you say "disability support" do you mean one to one teaching at school? It would be very interesting to know how many hours a week kids on the spectrum get in English schools. We live in Ireland and we knew before our lad was assessed the special needs services here were few and far between. He is lucky if he gets half an hour one to one teaching a day. This will be less in September because of government cut backs yet again.

John - I totally understand what you mean about the new DSM 5 - Temple Grandin echoes what you said in an article :

http://www.salon.com/2013/05/18/temple_grandin_on_dsm_5_sounds_like_diagnosis_by_committee/

It is great news for those previously diagnosed with PDD NOS to get the help they need.

I think there are very few kids diagnosed with Aspergers that are savants - wow - that's a huge stereotype and really worrying if teaches associate the two together. My lad has dyslexia and DCD so even though there is a lot going on in his head it's not reflected on paper...

Thanks once again guys

If you want additional support in Gov schools then you would do so through the disability support programs, all if which have eligibility criteria and because of the open slather on diagnoses for fundings sake and a finite budget those criteria have gradually tightened up over the years and now try and focus on the lowest/neediest 2% of the population by as objective data as possible. A label is the first step only. Support is usually very limited and may not be evident in 1 to 1 support at all.

Interesting that Temple Grandin thinks there will be more diagnoses - the link I provided before indicates that the diagnosis rate might well be lower if they have done a half competent job at objectifying the criteria. I doubt Education services could afford a much higher rate in Australia, there just isn't that much cash in the pot for the needy and as states have moved dramatically to inclusion there aren't the economies of scale of specialist support programs.

If you want additional support in Gov schools then you would do so through the disability support programs, all if which have eligibility criteria and because of the open slather on diagnoses for fundings sake and a finite budget those criteria have gradually tightened up over the years and now try and focus on the lowest/neediest 2% of the population by as objective data as possible. A label is the first step only. Support is usually very limited and may not be evident in 1 to 1 support at all.

Interesting that Temple Grandin thinks there will be more diagnoses - the link I provided before indicates that the diagnosis rate might well be lower if they have done a half competent job at objectifying the criteria. I doubt Education services could afford a much higher rate in Australia, there just isn't that much cash in the pot for the needy and as states have moved dramatically to inclusion there aren't the economies of scale of specialist support programs.

Hi Quoll

Thanks for your reply. All being well we will be moving to Victoria and I know from my research that it is unlikely he will get one to one help there. But I think there is more autism awareness and courses for teachers on how to teach kids on the spectrum?

I'm hoping too that autism has less of a stigma over in Australia. In a recent survey here in Ireland parents were asked in their experience did autism have a stigma and 100 percent said yes. Sad!

Hi Quoll

Thanks for your reply. All being well we will be moving to Victoria and I know from my research that it is unlikely he will get one to one help there. But I think there is more autism awareness and courses for teachers on how to teach kids on the spectrum?

I'm hoping too that autism has less of a stigma over in Australia. In a recent survey here in Ireland parents were asked in their experience did autism have a stigma and 100 percent said yes. Sad!

Victoria has the most stringent disability eligibility criteria so be prepared to get nothing if your son didn't get knocked back at the medical. I suspect you will find the parents of many children with autism and other pervasive developmental disorders in Australia will say that there is a stigma attached to the label and almost universally they will complain about the level of service on offer and the relative capacity or willingness of teachers to accommodate their kids in a mainstream environment. The level of diagnosis is higher in Aus I believe, especially of Aspergers in younger kids. I've had many reports of kids with autism returning to UK and being impressed with the programs and level of support their kids have accessed - no idea about NI though so can't compare there.