New to the process...help appreciated

Guest Taxi

Hi all,

We are just starting out on the Visa process. I have read through lots of information and think I have an idea of the steps required. Would appreciate some thoughts as to whether this is correct and some guidance if not!

We will apply under my occupation of Podiatrist. From what I see we are eligible to apply for State Sponsorship from South Australia as I have 18 months work experience.

1. Book IELTS test - SA requires IELTS of 7.0 and our registering body requires Academic IELTS of 7.0. Next available near us is 2nd March. I'll also need to score 8 in order to get enough points to pass the new points test come July 2011.

2. Meanwhile gather docs etc to have skills assessed by relevant body - which is ANZPAC.

3. When (hopefully) passed IELTS, send Degree info, current registration info, employer reference and IELTS result to our registering body (ANZPAC).

4. Meanwhile, gather supporting information for state sponsorship application ie. research into SA, job market etc etc.

5. Once have positive skills assessment apply to SA for State Sponsorship. Any thoughts on how long this part can take? Or is it a case of how long is a piece of string?

6. Once (hopefully) have SS from South Australia, apply for 176 visa via the immi website.

We aren't in a particular hurry to move but don't want to miss out if everything changes again in the near future.

I'm also a little concerned about having to achieve 8.0 in the IELTS come July. Any thoughts on whether it may be achievable to get a visa application in by then or is that a pipe dream?

Thanks for any input!

5. Once have positive skills assessment apply to SA for State Sponsorship. Any thoughts on how long this part can take? Or is it a case of how long is a piece of string?

I'm also a little concerned about having to achieve 8.0 in the IELTS come July. Any thoughts on whether it may be achievable to get a visa application in by then or is that a pipe dream?

Thanks for any input!

Hi Taxi

well it looks like you have reserched well on what is involved and what steps you need to take!!!

SA SS takes about 6 weeks as far as i can remember......maybe someone that applied more recently will let you know any different.....

as you sound very articulate, and assuming english is your first language??? i dont think you would have a problem with scoring 8 on your Ielts tests, also, if you dont make the grade first time round you can always do it again. I know there are tests you can do prior to going for the actual test to just get a feel for what it'll be like, and again im sure someone on here can give some more info

as for getting in your application before July, depending on how long it would take to get your skills assessed, and how dedicated you are to filling in all the masses of paperwork, you could have a go, think it takes 2weeks for Ielts results to come back.....so it could be doable...... if you get all the relevant balls rolling NOW.....

Hope this is of some help, and wishing you the best of luck with everything, and if there is one piece of advice i can impart about the whole process........ PiO is a savior when trying to deal with DIAC, the constant changes they make, and how they keep you hanging on!!!! If you really want to make the move, do it now, because you never know, by tomorrow all the rules might change again :wacko:

hope your having a good weekend

Jill

Thanks for your reply Jill. I've just seen that it can take up to 10 weeks for my skills to be assessed so it looks like I will be applying after July. As long as I can score 8 on the IELTS we can still (at present) apply. Thanks for the info that the test can be sat again if needed! I'll get everything sent off asap anyway just in case they manage things in well under the 10 weeks :)