hello! im new! hoping for lots of info!?!bricklaying in oz!

Guest hamnan

me and my other half have been thinking of moviing to oz for a few years now.he is 30 and i am 27 this year,we have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. i am an at home mum for now but was a travel agentfor 6 years. my other half is a qualified bricklayer and is currently helping manage projects.he is hoping he would be able to get a job as a brickie in oz and hoping for at least the same money as here? i would love some info on best areas for this job title and best areas for family . and also any living cost info etc wud be fab????

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Yorkshire girl35

Hi there, we are in same position by the looks of it, Im 35 my hubby is 39, we have 3 kids. at the moment my hubby is self/emp but building trade in doncaster really slowing, we aere looking at melbourne- geelong area-seems to be alot of jobs advertised there (look in geelong local papers onlin) BUT, today feeling really down about it, houses in that area seem to be very expensive & quite shabby, im now looking at Perth-dont know work situation but i will let u know.

I might as well join you two!

We are hoping to be in Adelaide by Dec this year (we have the visas) and my OH is a Brickie and i'm a stay at home mam to our 5 kids , 4 sons and 1 daughter and its so daunting isn't it...but compared to the way this country is going I think we might as well take the chance on Oz .

Im 34 and hes' 40......feels like its the right time (mid-life crisis and all that:wink:)

Good luck

Zoe x

Guest brickie001

ok here goes there is enough work in perth if u really wanna slog bricks over here.

i think the rates are about $300 a day and forget daywork in the uk this is oz head down arrsee up all day unless u form ur own team and then u supply all your tools,mixers profiles labour the lot(exc materials) anything from $0.90 to $1.60 a brick.

best way to gauge cost of living is do an online shop @woolworths or summat

Ere yorkygirl i might know ur oldman if he is a trowel from donny

Guest Yorkshire girl35

oh no, just got word from visa board, changing all visa regs from 1st march 2011, if a brickie over 40 you must have proof of qualifications-my hubby has a City & Guilds in brickwork, but new strict regs say you can only go if have completed an apprenticeship-he did do this but cos it was 1989 we cant get any proof-can anyone help with this-anyone else having same probs-aaaarrrrgggghhhh

Guest brickie001

thats easy 1) contact the company where he did his apprenticeship

2) all apprentices are throu C.I.T.B contact them to trace his papers

worsecase senerio is that the employer where he did his apprenticeship went bust but that dont matter as CITB are still about and any training you do are all linked on your CITB file which is also linked to CSCS.

Dont have the numers cos iam in oz but it aint hard to find CITB

Guest tiddywiddy
oh no, just got word from visa board, changing all visa regs from 1st march 2011, if a brickie over 40 you must have proof of qualifications-my hubby has a City & Guilds in brickwork, but new strict regs say you can only go if have completed an apprenticeship-he did do this but cos it was 1989 we cant get any proof-can anyone help with this-anyone else having same probs-aaaarrrrgggghhhh

Hi

Just read the above & was wondering if my o/h would also need to have had trained via an apprenticeship? He is a qualified electrician which he done over 4 years at college as a "Mature Student" so has city & guilds, work history etc but never done it via an apprenticeship? Can you tell me where I would obtain all the info you have please, feel gutted if this is the case, doomed to stay in the UK if so : ( :arghh:

Guest Yorkshire girl35
thats easy 1) contact the company where he did his apprenticeship

2) all apprentices are throu C.I.T.B contact them to trace his papers

worsecase senerio is that the employer where he did his apprenticeship went bust but that dont matter as CITB are still about and any training you do are all linked on your CITB file which is also linked to CSCS.

Dont have the numers cos iam in oz but it aint hard to find CITB

If only it was that simple!

OH did his apprenticeship 1987-1989 CITB records dont go back that far!! before computers remember, and what is the cscs you mentioned?

He's around the same age as my hubby -will question him on all of the above as soon as he's in from work!! He did the same as him at the same time so maybe he can add something???

Dont worry, there will be an avenue you can go down ....just finding it is sooo stressful isn't it?

Zoe x

Guest brickie001

seems odd if you ask me i did my apprenticeship in doncaster 1984-1987 and they have records of me and CSCS is the construction skills certificate scheme where they also hold records on my SMSTS training i did and NVQ 5 in site management its all CITB.

So what about where he did his apprenticeship cant they supply a letter to certify he did it there.

Guest Yorkshire girl35
seems odd if you ask me i did my apprenticeship in doncaster 1984-1987 and they have records of me and CSCS is the construction skills certificate scheme where they also hold records on my SMSTS training i did and NVQ 5 in site management its all CITB.

So what about where he did his apprenticeship cant they supply a letter to certify he did it there.

sound like you have recentley got copy records, maybe u can help, i have spoke to C&G they have only record of the actual course not an apprenticeship, i spoke to the college-he did it at ellers rd bessecar, but spoke to doncaster (new) there records only go back to 1990 (need 1989) so tell me, whats the CSCS & SMSTS mean? the comp he did apprenticeship with no longer trading. i even spoke to his old teacher yesterday n he doesnt recall there being a cert to say completed an appren. so dunno where to turn-any infor welcome:cry:

Guest brickie001

try CITB (Construction Industry Training Board) They was in charge of most apprentices then and they are still about. I never had to actually prove my apprenticeship and i did have letters and a reference from where i did my time + my C&G. Ring citb n try that.

best of luck and anyway i wouldnt want to stack rocks here for very long in that heat all day

Guest Yorkshire girl35
He's around the same age as my hubby -will question him on all of the above as soon as he's in from work!! He did the same as him at the same time so maybe he can add something???

Dont worry, there will be an avenue you can go down ....just finding it is sooo stressful isn't it?

Zoe x

Hia Zoe

finally found the people who can issue a copy certificate for an apprenticeship-it is 0844 5763556 certificate/indenture thingy madingies!!! lol if u need it. spoke to Go matilda today, think we gonna try using the agents as may be able to fast track things before new visa regs in july-they say skilled test thas was done via vatesses is now done by vic uni (victoria university i think) by way of online skype interview-much quicker!!! i hope, so wish us luck- was just getting me head around going, then not going n now may be going again!!! why do we do this to ourselves.:eek:

Thats good news! Dont get me started on the going/not going/maybe give it a try bloomin roundabout- we have been like that for nearly 4 yrs and now that we have to get there by May 2012 all of a sudden we had a mild panic and decided that we should get things sorted and go!! The dates are the ever changing thing atm ....more like April 2012 not Nov/Dec 2011 :wub: now!

We used a migration agent-VisaBureau, they were great , I know people do it themselves but as there are 7 of us I felt overwhelmed and was so glad I had them to turn to, a bit of an expense but worth it in my experience.

Keep me posted x

Zoe x

Archived