Guest The Ropey HOFF

Household bills in Australia and the uk.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I have posted several times two households bills, mine from the uk and someone on PIO who lives in Brisbane and i have always said that everyones bills will be different and i said that based on these figures, this persons utility bills were almost half the cost of mine here in the uk, based on wages, not the exchange rate. If anyone disagrees with these figures, or if they just want to help they could post their own figures to compare the only figures i have, apart from one other person, who lives in Brisbane, who has similar figures to my quoted ones. So please feel free to post your bills, preferably from different States.

Please note - the equation i am using is based on the average pay from wages in Australia, not the current exchange rate, you will be earning dollars and spending dollars.

Based on the commonly accepted PIO rate $2.2 to £1, below are my monthly outgoings in the uk and someone living in a bigger house in Australia, in red.

Rates/ £1450 per year/ $3200 is it the same?...... approx $1600 in Brisbane

Gas/electric/ £1600 per year/ $3500 - how much do you pay?...........approx $1900

Petrol/ £1.35/ $2.90 how much? .................diesel - $1.20

car insurance/ £500/ $1100 ? ................incl Rego & fully comp approx $1300

yearly water rates/ £400/ $850 ?................ $416

progress.gif

Can you remember which thread they were on? you could copy n paste them to get started.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Can you remember which thread they were on? you could copy n paste them to get started.

Cal x

Cheers Cal, i was just going back into a thread where they were to copy and paste them.

We all have different views on the cost of living in Australia and me personally i thought Australia was slightly dearer not by much, i could have lied and said different, because of the figures above, but i will be honest, but it is only my opinion, but because things like food, clothes, cars, paying to see the doctor, school fees and other things i found it evens it all up, i would like this to be a true reflection of the cost of living and hopefully it will give people an idea of what they will be facing, in both countries.

Im in WA here are some of mine

Water rates - $709.25

Council Rates - $1198

Electric - $872.35

Gas - $902.10

The people who reach the top of the tree, are only those who haven`t got the qualifications to detain them at the bottom.

Peter Ustinov

Guest chris955

Is that $872 a year ? :elvis: We pay approaching that per quarter.

Im in WA here are some of mine

Water rates - $709.25

Council Rates - $1198

Electric - $872.35

Gas - $902.10

Is that $872 a year ? :elvis: We pay approaching that per quarter.

Per year - I just went through last years bills and added them up - I am a tight fisted Jock though and do try to watch whats being used.:cute:We don`t have a pool and we don`t use the aircon that much.

The people who reach the top of the tree, are only those who haven`t got the qualifications to detain them at the bottom.

Peter Ustinov

Our electricity bills are cooking in at around $550 every 2 months but gas is around $35 every 2 months.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Theres alot of differences already, which is what i expected, anyone think it would be a good idea to say how big, or small their property is? Could that be a factor?

Guest chris955

Blimey, I would be ecstatic if we got near that for 4 months.

Per year - I just went through last years bills and added them up - I am a tight fisted Jock though and do try to watch whats being used.:cute:We don`t have a pool and we don`t use the aircon that much.

Theres alot of differences already, which is what i expected, anyone think it would be a good idea to say how big, or small their property is? Could that be a factor?

Ok, 4 x 2 - there is only the 3 of us though, we have gas hob & water, electric oven, evap air con plus alll the usual stuff. We don`t watch much tv but do spend time on computer/reading etc.

Peter Ustinov

Water - $1100 a year

Electric $2.40 a day

Gas $1.20 a day (I'm not making these figures up) - summer usage. Predicting x3 in winter with a gas fire.

Rates $1350 (Kuringai, Sydney)

No aircon, no pool, no fish tanks, some home-brewing. Family of 5.

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

Tight-fisted Jock as well....where has the haggis smilie gone??? Its almost Burn's Night!

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

Don't forget that the cost of bills can rise when you have visitors. We had visitors for a 3 month period and that was extra water usage, extra air-con when we wouldn't have normally put it on. Fans running for most of the night.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

...hang on. Just found an IKEA receipt in my OHs purse for $1000 - 10,000 apple-scented tea lights - should that come under Electric or Gas I wonder?:biglaugh:

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

Guest sh7t man no way

i think the size of the house,and how many people living in it would be a factor--a couple would use less than a family of 4 i feel

We have a 4 by 2, it's a new property, one large living area but we only ever use our bedroom, daughters bedroom and living, we have a big alfresco with outdoor kitchen and pool but pool is solar heated and outdoor kitchen is gas. we have reverse cycle air con but have only really used it in last few weeks as it's got hotter and only at night. I have no idea how the electricity bill comes in so high but I'm obviously really happy with gas! we do tend to have loads of stuff plugged in and on stand by when off, could this be eating up power? Also, I do use the dryer a lot (sorry:wacko:) I know this is bad but everything drys like cardboard outside!! Any advice on cutting down the electricity bill very welcome.....

Guest sh7t man no way

We have a 4 by 2, it's a new property, one large living area but we only ever use our bedroom, daughters bedroom and living, we have a big alfresco with outdoor kitchen and pool but pool is solar heated and outdoor kitchen is gas. we have reverse cycle air con but have only really used it in last few weeks as it's got hotter and only at night. I have no idea how the electricity bill comes in so high but I'm obviously really happy with gas! we do tend to have loads of stuff plugged in and on stand by when off, could this be eating up power? Also, I do use the dryer a lot (sorry:wacko:) I know this is bad but everything drys like cardboard outside!! Any advice on cutting down the electricity bill very welcome.....
what we used to do to not having the aircon on all night was to freeze a large bottle of water,and put it in front of a fan--when it blows it blows ice cold air--also this may sound silly but we also got an hotwater bottle,and put that in the frezzer,and put it in bed an hour before we retired to bed--this cooled the bed down,and kept you cool till you droped of:wubclub:

Each 5kg load in the tumble dryer probably costs you around 70 cents. 200 loads in one year = $140. Probably a similar saving if you could turn all the stuff on standby off at the wall socket.

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

I tend to hang my washing out overnight in summer - and Im a bit anal about checking everything is switched off at the plugs when not in use.

Peter Ustinov

Guest keelbeal

Hiya, Ive been lurking for weeks and finally posting...

We applied for our state sponship for victoria this week. im just trying to get a rough idead of cost of living out there. could some one please tell me if the figures are ok ....

council tax equivilant $117 per month

water $70 per month

water rates $21 per month

buildings insurance $45 per month

contents insurance $30

electric $100

gas $48

phone $121

internet $40

private health care on website said would be $236 a month another said $75 (i know depends on package but which sounds closer to the mark)

food $1000 a month

these are all based on a family of 4. I know if you rent you dont always pay water and council tax but id rather over estimate.

thanks in advance

xx

We applied for our state sponship for victoria this week. im just trying to get a rough idead of cost of living out there. could some one please tell me if the figures are ok ....

water $70 per month

contents insurance $30

electric $100

gas $48

phone $121

internet $40

private health care on website said would be $236 a month another said $75 (i know depends on package but which sounds closer to the mark)

food $1000 a month

these are all based on a family of 4. I know if you rent you dont always pay water and council tax but id rather over estimate.

thanks in advance

xx

Don`t forget that if you rent to begin with you wont have buildings insurance, lwater or council rates to pay (unless you use over with the water).

Peter Ustinov

Guest keelbeal
Don`t forget that if you rent to begin with you wont have buildings insurance, lwater or council rates to pay (unless you use over with the water).

ok thanks but long term when we buy a place do the figures look about right. i know its hard to tell depending on useage etc but roughly

Here are mine in Perth, WA.

House is 3x2, no pool, don't use the aircon at all, only fans. Two adults and a 4 month old baby.

these figures are my last bills.

Electric: $ 226 for two months

Gas: $ 79 (september - december)

Phone: $33 per month

Internet: $49 per month

Contents insurance: $125 per annum

As we're renting we don't pay council tax and only contribute a small amount towards water rates, last time I paid, it was $116.

I must say though our electric bill is a lot higher during the winter as I use electric heaters a lot and electric blankets as well. Otherwise, very frugal, don't leave appliances on standby, and switch off lights when not in rooms.

Guest keelbeal

thanks so looks like if i use the figures ive got i should be ok

water $70 per month

contents insurance $30

electric $100

gas $48

phone $121

internet $40

food $1000 a month

thanks in advance

xx

Thanks for that post, I'm just completing our SS for WA and was trying to come up with some figures, so thank you and good luck

:biggrin: