You Know You Want To... Write A Book

Guest guest37336

Guest guest37336

I am fairly adamant that ANYONE can write a book. It has nothing to do with intelligence, qualifications etc, it is in my opinion within everybody to do such a thing. Many people also say what can I write about, and 'normally' I would say write about what you know, experienced etc, but I lack the imagination to write any other way,:embarrassed:. My imagination is just not 'sparky' enough, so I tend to write what I have experienced or know about.

It is bloody hard work, probably one of the hardest things I have ever done, time constraints, everyday life, monetary concerns etc, all take their toll, and of course there is always the thought, 'Is This Truly Worth It? Well, yes it is in my opinion, even if it is never published you have the ENORMOUS satisfaction of doing something that few do.

I have written a few, my 'relationship' with Australia, which is still being 'touched up', and the political aims of RAW UK. I dare say they will never be best sellers, but the satisfaction and 'cathartic' feeling they have given me are immeasurable.

So come on, if you chose to write a book what would it be? True to your life, Fantasy, Adventure, Action, Children's, there are so many subjects that the list is endless, come on let your imagination fly and get that draft going asap.

And if possible (though not important) what title would you give it. I know Jimbo wants to write one, I think his working title was/is 'A Screw For All Seasons':wubclub::wink:. And I know a lot of people would like to see Pablo have a crack, but I daren't suggest a title as the content would be impossible to classify under one title.:eek::wink:.

Edited to add. Forget how well you spell, punctuate etc, they can all be rectified with a lot of computer programmes and letting others read the draft.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Guest TaniaandRob
I am fairly adamant that ANYONE can write a book. It has nothing to do with intelligence, qualifications etc, it is in my opinion within everybody to do such a thing. Many people also say what can I write about, and 'normally' I would say write about what you know, experienced etc, but I lack the imagination to write any other way,:embarrassed:. My imagination is just not 'sparky' enough, so I tend to write what I have experienced or know about.

It is bloody hard work, probably one of the hardest things I have ever done, time constraints, everyday life, monetary concerns etc, all take their toll, and of course there is always the thought, 'Is This Truly Worth It? Well, yes it is in my opinion, even if it is never published you have the ENORMOUS satisfaction of doing something that few do.

I have written a few, my 'relationship' with Australia, which is still being 'touched up', and the political aims of RAW UK. I dare say they will never be best sellers, but the satisfaction and 'cathartic' feeling they have given me are immeasurable.

So come on, if you chose to write a book what would it be? True to your life, Fantasy, Adventure, Action, Children's, there are so many subjects that the list is endless, come on let your imagination fly and get that draft going asap.

And if possible (though not important) what title would you give it. I know Jimbo wants to write one, I think his working title was/is 'A Screw For All Seasons':wubclub::wink:. And I know a lot of people would like to see Pablo have a crack, but I daren't suggest a title as the content would be impossible to classify under one title.:eek::wink:.

Edited to add. Forget how well you spell, punctuate etc, they can all be rectified with a lot of computer programmes and letting others read the draft.

I just want to thank you for this reminder - I have at times had the inclination to do some writing and never really finished anything. I have short stories on my laptop crying out to be finished and perhaps now is the time to get back to it.... :wubclub:

Guest guest37336
I just want to thank you for this reminder - I have at times had the inclination to do some writing and never really finished anything. I have short stories on my laptop crying out to be finished and perhaps now is the time to get back to it.... :wubclub:

If I were truthful Tania, or is it Rob:wubclub: I had about four drafts on my laptop at anyone time, never finished one, but one day I pulled my finger out and bang, all done. Though I admit I write from experience so my books are that much easier than 'making one up' it still took me around three years to complete the first one, now as I have sussed out my own 'method' it can take a matter of weeks to finish one from start to finish.:jiggy:

And again if I were truthful, I am NEVER satisfied with any book I 'finish', but that is part and parcel of writing a book, could ALWAYS do better. But there comes a time when you HAVE to shut the laptop and say, 'Enough is enough, It's finished'.:jiggy:

Cheers Tony.:wubclub:

Its funny you should mention this Tony,

I am actually writing a book about our journey, obviously far from finished, but the title is 'KombiPoms' - the misadventures of two hapless Brits, their dog and a 50 year old VW

It will be available in all crap bookshops!:wacko:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

As you know Tony, i started writing my book about the nick, tonyman thought i was talking about him. My computer software was rubbish and i am looking at getting a new one to carry on, but as you know, until i leave i can't have it published even if i wanted to and i don't think any publisher would be interested in it, but on a personal note, it will be great to get it all down what i have experienced.

Guest TaniaandRob
If I were truthful Tania, or is it Rob:wubclub: I had about four drafts on my laptop at anyone time, never finished one, but one day I pulled my finger out and bang, all done. Though I admit I write from experience so my books are that much easier than 'making one up' it still took me around three years to complete the first one, now as I have sussed out my own 'method' it can take a matter of weeks to finish one from start to finish.:jiggy:

And again if I were truthful, I am NEVER satisfied with any book I 'finish', but that is part and parcel of writing a book, could ALWAYS do better. But there comes a time when you HAVE to shut the laptop and say, 'Enough is enough, It's finished'.:jiggy:

Cheers Tony.:wubclub:

ROFL Definatly Tania here you can tell when I post a :wubclub: - Rob would more likely post a :cool: teehee - I have started many times but at least now I have a laptop they get saved so I can go back to them. Now I can't wait to get home and have a look. I am also never happy with my finished product (be it writing, photography, music, drawing, painting or any of the things that I enjoy) - thats what makes us keep going and trying for better isn't it? It is also why I am looking forward to being a student again this year and being home again where I will have more time to indulge in these things that I love (and less money to indulge in those things that we really dont need....) :wubclub::cute:

Guest guest37336
ROFL Definatly Tania here you can tell when I post a :wubclub: - Rob would more likely post a :cool: teehee - I have started many times but at least now I have a laptop they get saved so I can go back to them. Now I can't wait to get home and have a look. I am also never happy with my finished product (be it writing, photography, music, drawing, painting or any of the things that I enjoy) - thats what makes us keep going and trying for better isn't it? It is also why I am looking forward to being a student again this year and being home again where I will have more time to indulge in these things that I love (and less money to indulge in those things that we really dont need....) :wubclub::cute:[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more Tania, :notworthy:.

As you know Tony, i started writing my book about the nick, tonyman thought i was talking about him. My computer software was rubbish and i am looking at getting a new one to carry on, but as you know, until i leave i can't have it published even if i wanted to and i don't think any publisher would be interested in it, but on a personal note, it will be great to get it all down what i have experienced.

If its an honest account of prison life I think people will be interested - I am always interested to hear about what life in prison is actually like and not something that is played up to make it more interesting.

Guest sh7t man no way

id quite fancy writing a book on pio--i think id base it on an agatha christie type of plot--id call it murder on the pio express--there heaps of charactors on here,and so many subplots--id like to be the poirot detective type who solves the murder,there would be heaps of charactors involved in some way with the murder (now who would i murder on pio in the book),and who on pio would be the charactors--i may need some help on this from the members--who do you suggest:biggrin:just a bit of fun mind you

Guest The Ropey HOFF
If its an honest account of prison life I think people will be interested - I am always interested to hear about what life in prison is actually like and not something that is played up to make it more interesting.

Hi mate i can't say alot about it but here are just a few of the nicknames of the screws i have worked with.

The Beers Monster

Tazmanian Devil

The Basta7d

The Viking

Mr Pain

No Neck

Bluto

None of these guys were to be got on the wrong side of and my nickname was................ the Pink panther a big pink pussy cat. lol. I didn't fit into the brutal regime in the 80's, but now i am considered a dinosaur a relic from a the past, too strict too confrontational and my nickname is Mr NO, crikey if they had to deal with the grusome evil screws above, they would crap themselves.

Its all going to be in my book, porridge i loved it, but............... nothing like real life.

Guest guest37336
id quite fancy writing a book on pio--i think id base it on an agatha christie type of plot--id call it murder on the pio express--there heaps of charactors on here,and so many subplots--id like to be the poirot detective type who solves the murder,there would be heaps of charactors involved in some way with the murder (now who would i murder on pio in the book),and who on pio would be the charactors--i may need some help on this from the members--who do you suggest:biggrin:just a bit of fun mind you

I have for some time considered this Alan. Then thought better of it as I would have to be put in the 'Witness Protection Programme'. There again, I don't care as long as I am in a safe house in the middle of the outback, now you have started the old cogs firing mate.:jiggy:

Guest sh7t man no way

I have for some time considered this Alan. Then thought better of it as I would have to be put in the 'Witness Protection Programme'. There again, I don't care as long as I am in a safe house in the middle of the outback, now you have started the old cogs firing mate.:jiggy:
rob said if i spill the beans on pio he will put me in the pio whitness protection programme sponsered by the mods:wideeyed:what do you think mate-should i go for it:twitcy:

Guest guest37336
rob said if i spill the beans on pio he will put me in the pio whitness protection programme sponsered by the mods:wideeyed:what do you think mate-should i go for it:twitcy:

Go on, go on, go on, go on. I promise to visit you.:wubclub:

Guest sh7t man no way
Hi mate i can't say alot about it but here are just a few of the nicknames of the screws i have worked with.

The Beers Monster

Tazmanian Devil

The Basta7d

The Viking

Mr Pain

No Neck

Bluto

None of these guys were to be got on the wrong side of and my nickname was................ the Pink panther a big pink pussy cat. lol. I didn't fit into the brutal regime in the 80's, but now i am considered a dinosaur a relic from a the past, too strict too confrontational and my nickname is Mr NO, crikey if they had to deal with the grusome evil screws above, they would crap themselves.

Its all going to be in my book, porridge i loved it, but............... nothing like real life.

ive met you jim,and iff i didnt know you where a prison officer i would have never have guessed it in a million years--if i didnt know you i would have gueesed you where sumthing to do with the art world--your just so sensitve to other peoples needs:wubclub:if you didnt know me as an electrican,what would you have guessed i would be:wideeyed:

Guest sh7t man no way

Go on, go on, go on, go on. I promise to visit you.:wubclub:
will pm you mate--before i go public i need it in black,and white from admin:wideeyed:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
ive met you jim,and iff i didnt know you where a prison officer i would have never have guessed it in a million years--if i didnt know you i would have gueesed you where sumthing to do with the art world--your just so sensitve to other peoples needs:wubclub:if you didnt know me as an electrican,what would you have guessed i would be:wideeyed:

I still like to relax mate have a laugh and a beer, chill out in a jacuzzi and not stress about things and anyone meeting me would think something similar to you, a screw....... never. But once the uniform is on its a different kettle of fish, you become hardened to prison life, you switch off your outside life and if you show any weakness you can be in a sh7t load of trouble. I am not a fighter i am a talker, but i talk and they listen, i have worked with the most aggressive muscular powerful blokes you can imagine and i know if anything happens they will be there in a flash and they know i will be there for them also. I am lucky i can just switch off, but some can't. I have some incredible stories to tell though.

Guest sh7t man no way

I still like to relax mate have a laugh and a beer, chill out in a jacuzzi and not stress about things and anyone meeting me would think something similar to you, a screw....... never. But once the uniform is on its a different kettle of fish, you become hardened to prison life, you switch off your outside life and if you show any weakness you can be in a sh7t load of trouble. I am not a fighter i am a talker, but i talk and they listen, i have worked with the most aggressive muscular powerful blokes you can imagine and i know if anything happens they will be there in a flash and they know i will be there for them also. I am lucky i can just switch off, but some can't. I have some incredible stories to tell though.
i figure mate in your job you have to live in two different worlds,and it must be hard to swicth of--as you know lesleys a nurse like helen,an hour before she gets in from work she may have had a death at work,its hard to swicth of from that type of work--i take me hat of:wubclub:why cant you write your book mate,and publish it-is it the official secrets act thing--or privacy laws

"Adventures of a bricklayer",rite from when i was a kid and my growing up in lpool.

Very first day on site with the subby i served me time with...........I seen the boss going over to the JCB driver and laughing and joking,thought nothing of it.

Next minute the JCB driver picks up a perfectly good pack of brick(about 500),and drops them in a trench,then buries them with the back hoe(shovel),and im like wtf:wideeyed:

So i asked the lads what was happening,they said "on this site they count how many packs of brick there is,and whats been used(to build!),and if a pack has GONE we have obviously used them to build with havnt we?:biggrin:,well that pack isnt HERE anymore more is it?!so we've used that pack to build:wink:"..........:laugh:,so dozens of packs were buried+paid for,because the company thought we'd built with them,NOT buried them.

This went on for months,every pack of brick used was worth about £100 back around 1980,£200 quid per thousand brick set,the company we were sub contracting to sussed it in the end(he knew they would eventually) and my boss moved on to the next company.

Theres too many stories like that tho tbh,the book would be longer than war and peace.

Then theres the time all the lads got battered with baseball bats by a gang of "security consultants" because the boss refused to pay for "site security",awww them was the days!:laugh:

Guest famousfive

I have written four childrens books but yet to even try and get one published.Last year I got a copy of one of them printed up professionally for the kids as a present and they love it.I also did the illustrations which took quite a bit of work to get to suit the style of the book.They are chapter books aimed at 8-12yr olds and I have started another one aimed at teens.One day I will try and publish them but that may be a wee while yet.

Anyone can write a book yes, but 99.9999999% will be ****te mate, so many peopel have tried and so many have failed because they are just garbage, if you want to do a book of poemes that is a different matter and has a better chance of making it.

Here is one I pened earlier.

Last night I lay in my bed looking up at the stars,

the beautiful sky and the endless horizon

and suddenly I thought where the f*** is my roof?

Guest famousfive

I should also have mentioned that my eldest daughter,11yrs,has been writing a diary type account of our move to aus,living here,and will continue her account when we make the return journey.It follows our whole experience and is very interesting.She says she would like to publish it some day if anyone was interested to do so.I think it would be very useful for other kids about to make the journey because she writes in a very natural way and is very detailed,she covers a whole gammot of experiences,difference and feeling.I am of course very proud of her efforts and hope she manages to publish it eventually.

Archived