which supermarket do you use?

twinkletoes35

• 2 weeks later...
So, no Tesco in Oz?

What about white goods, any suggestions on where to look for these, as well as garden and house furniture?

No Tesco in Aus..we use Coles and Woolworths..Retrovision and Harvey Norman for white goods..Bunnings for garden and alot of people go to auctions for furniture..

terri:cute:

For white goods online try appliancesomline.com.au plus I think The Good Guys website actually has prices on it (online shopping hasn't really hit Oz yet).

For furniture there is Ikea and Fantastic Furniture at the cheap end then places like Freedom Furniture and Harvey Norman for better quality before you hit the more individual designer stores.

For garden furniture online I'd check out Barbecues Galore.

Food wise I use Woolies and Aldi for the general goods but veggies come from the greengrocer and meat from the butcher rather than everything from Tesco's like in the UK.

I use Coles, Woolworths and IGA for different things. We don't have Aldi up here yet.

White goods we have found the Good Guys to be good so far.

Super A Mart for furniture, pretty good quality and lower prices. (No Ikea here either)

Garden stuff, usually from Bunnings which are a bit like B&Q.

Local butcher and fishmarket when I can.

Coles and Woolworths, you could do a test shop with both of them as they both have online shopping.

For white goods I like Clive Peters but we are in Melbourne. Also Retravision, find our Good Guys not so good anymore. Depends on the Franchisee I think.

I also buy on line using the comparison sites.

While in Sydney I used ---Franklins,Aldi and Coles for food The Sunday markets were good for fruit and veg.

White goods Good Guys and Harvey Normans.

Ikea,Harvey Normans and Fantastic Furniture for home furnishing

Rays outdoor World for BBQs,kayaks,fishing gear etc.

HOWEVER We moved to Darwin 4 weeks ago !!!!!!!!

No.....Ikea,Rays Outdoors,Franklins,Fantastic Furniture,Officeworks,Aldi etc.So we are trying to work our way around the very limited choices we have.

We tend to use Woolworths in preference to Coles...but only for the very unscientific reason that their car park is easier to navigate at our most local stores.

For white goods, let me throw "The Good Guys" into the equation. We've bought a few things at Harvey Norman but, more often, find The Good Guys more flexible on price and delivery.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...
Guest shusselmann

We do far more shopping around here than we did in the UK (where we were usually happy with one supermarket for everything).

Aldi are cheaper but I find I can't get all the fresh food we like there, so we do Aldi for tins, breakfast cereal etc, then Woolworths or our local green grocer and butcher for fresh stuff.

Ikea for furniture and we hire our white goods because we didn't want to buy stuff to fit a rental property we might not be in for very long...

I miss the fact that supermarkets in the UK sell a bit of everything - groceries, clothing, electrical etc - made things a little easier, although probably led to more impulse buys!

Great thread. It inspired me to do a fake online shop at Coles and it was reassuring to see the price isn't that different from the UK and that we can get own brand and cheap brand items which I was told just didn't exist out there. Obviously it's difficult to judge brands and what we will ultimatly like the taste of but its all good research.