Guest garynhelen

Is the Australian 'dream' over?

Guest garynhelen

Just feeling really discouraged about the whole migrating to Oz thing. We are stuck in category 4 and have no clue how long it will take and even if the visa will ever be granted!

Meanwhile, my kids are getting older one being 18 in May, another getting really attached to a person of the opposite sex!

On top of that, the exchange rate is stupid, and our property price has dropped whilst Oz properties prices have risen!

Also, my OH has been overlooked for promotions due to the fact that he has been open about our visa application, and friends naturally don't want to invest time in people they believe are heading off any time!!

Just wondering whether its more realistic to forget the whole idea, but then that leaves me feeling really flat.

We are in the same situation. Do not tell to anyone about the impending immigration. Live as you lived, maybe everything will be in the form of a surprise to some of holiday:)

Guest garynhelen

Was kinda hard to keep it all a secret as we went on Wanted Down Under in 2009! Feel like it was all a bit like 'this is what you CAN'T have'

Just feeling really discouraged about the whole migrating to Oz thing. We are stuck in category 4 and have no clue how long it will take and even if the visa will ever be granted!

Meanwhile, my kids are getting older one being 18 in May, another getting really attached to a person of the opposite sex!

On top of that, the exchange rate is stupid, and our property price has dropped whilst Oz properties prices have risen!

Also, my OH has been overlooked for promotions due to the fact that he has been open about our visa application, and friends naturally don't want to invest time in people they believe are heading off any time!!

Just wondering whether its more realistic to forget the whole idea, but then that leaves me feeling really flat.

Hi garynhelen,

Things change all the time keep positive I applied Nov 08 I can't tell you how many changes I have seen, the sol list, the priorities have changed at least twice, the SMP and don't forget they the SOL could change again and the priorities nothing is set in stone, I also have a son who is 18 but he will be dependent for at least 3 years with his study so I am not worried yet and like yourself in Cat 4 and with the changes in July with the new points will make it harder for others to apply so hopefully giving DIAC a chance to get rid of the back log.

I see you wasn't successful with the Off-List nomination did WA say why if you don't mind me asking as this is something i have approached QLD with.

Tania

:xmas7:Cat 4 (Fitter) 175 04 November 08, CO 09/09/11 Visa Grant 15/11/11

Guest Guest47308
Was kinda hard to keep it all a secret as we went on Wanted Down Under in 2009! Feel like it was all a bit like 'this is what you CAN'T have'

Sorry you seem to be stuck in the system garynhelen :frown: I can imagine your feelin mega peed off with it all now!!!

We are still at the stage of choosing an agent lol so can only imagine how u must be feeling.

I wish you all the best and hope it is sorted for you soon!

PerkiPie

I believe you should not get disappointed, there are many applicants who fell in Cat7 (after Sep2009) and are now in Cat2 and having their applications processed.

Australian immigration rules are always unpredictable and may change anytime,

I hope DIAC finishes Cat2 and 3 quickly and process Cat4 as soon as possible

Regards

Reza & Zahra,EA Assessment 21 APR 10,SS 18 Aug 10,176 lodged 01 Sep 2010, Co 15 Dec 2010, PCC and Meds call 11 OCT 2011, Visa Granted 07 Nov 2011, Aussie Citizen 19-Sep-2016:arghh:

I think it's normal human nature for you to feel a bit flat when you see something you put on a pedestal appear to be slipping away from you rather than getting closer.

However, what I would say is, don't give up. If this really is your dream then stick to it.

Take the rough with the smooth and one day I'm sure you will be able to look back on this period as you walk along a sun-kissed Aussie beach, surrounded by your loved ones and think to yourself "What was I worrying about?"

I truly believe that everything always works out for the best and when it does, it will feel so much sweeter having gone through a 'rough patch'.

Ian (28) Ange (27) Ellie (10) & Harriott (6 months)

Hi GarynHelen,

Please forgive my ignorance of the wider aspects of Visa regulations.

Are there any states that have your OH's occupation on their SMP and if there was would you consider applying there?

We have only been in this process for 11 months and the changes have been mammoth. You know how unpredictable DIAC are. I know this doesn't help you at the moment but please don't give up hope (easy to say and difficult to do I know!). Your dream is worth holding onto, one day you will get to Oz and hopefully will be able to look back on this and notch it down to experience. My wee Granny used to say "just remember hen, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger".

I hope and pray that you get some nugget of good news soon.

Take care

Lorraine x

:jimlad:

Agent 02/10, carpentry +ve assmt 08/10, SA SS apprvd 11/10 176 lodged 9/12/10 Cat 2 01/11 CO 14/02/11 medicals 17/03/11 PCC's 11/3/11 VISA GRANTED 31/3/11. Validated July 2011. House finally sold June 2014 flights booked 1/4/15

Guest garynhelen
Hi garynhelen,

Things change all the time keep positive I applied Nov 08 I can't tell you how many changes I have seen, the sol list, the priorities have changed at least twice, the SMP and don't forget they the SOL could change again and the priorities nothing is set in stone, I also have a son who is 18 but he will be dependent for at least 3 years with his study so I am not worried yet and like yourself in Cat 4 and with the changes in July with the new points will make it harder for others to apply so hopefully giving DIAC a chance to get rid of the back log.

I see you wasn't successful with the Off-List nomination did WA say why if you don't mind me asking as this is something i have approached QLD with.

Tania

Hi Tania,

Thanks for the encouragement, It's true things do change all the time, so may change back in our favour at some point! Hopefully when the economic situation has improved!!

The reason WA gave us for declining 'off list ' sponsorship, was that we didn't meet the criteria of having a job offer or being resident already in WA. Which was a new policy they had brought in after we applied due to high numbers seeking sponsorship. Catch 22!

Not sure what the criteria is with QLD though.

All the best with your visa,

Helen

Guest garynhelen
Hi GarynHelen,

Please forgive my ignorance of the wider aspects of Visa regulations.

Are there any states that have your OH's occupation on their SMP and if there was would you consider applying there?

We have only been in this process for 11 months and the changes have been mammoth. You know how unpredictable DIAC are. I know this doesn't help you at the moment but please don't give up hope (easy to say and difficult to do I know!). Your dream is worth holding onto, one day you will get to Oz and hopefully will be able to look back on this and notch it down to experience. My wee Granny used to say "just remember hen, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger".

I hope and pray that you get some nugget of good news soon.

Take care

Lorraine x

Hi Lorraine,

Yes my husbands occupation does appear on NT and ACT, but both these states require proof of liquid funds, not proof of equity. Because of the current property prices in UK, we do not intend to sell our properties, but to rent them out and wait until prices pick up a bit. So its impossible for us to raise the $60,000 +? dolllars needed to be in a position to apply for sponsorship. WA and SA only ask you to declare how you will finance your trip, but we're not on their lists :nah:

love this quote;

"just remember hen, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger".

Thanks for the encouragement

Helen

Guest jamtart

Looks like you are in the same boat as us. Life in limbo and changed dramatically since our visa was lodged. Our 19 year old, who was 'dependent' is now not, as he left Uni (doesn't want to emigrate with us anyway) and our 18 year old who wasn't 'dependent', now is (and wants to emigrate with us). Heaven knows what our life will be like when our application eventually gets looked at. How on earth does it work if their 'dependency' has changed since you lodged the visa? Our house has dropped £40,000 in value, exchange rate is rubbish and house prices are shooting up on The Sunshine Coast. Is it going to be worth it in the end?:sad:

helen i so know how you feel,its sooo hard seeing everybody getting their co and moving forward i feel like ive been shoved out of the gang lol.

i was finnished with the dream at christmas i was so deflated i couldent speak about oz, i was angry too and kinda thought up yours then wa for dumping me, but on a positive i picked myself up eventually and started looking in to the states that did want me, and that was hard becuase i wasent open to anywhere else but with research sa lookes realy good for us im lucky becuase my boys are small so no probs there, but weve sold twice and pulled out twice been overlooked for promotion for me and hubbie sticking with a job he hates cos "were off to oz soon" lol.

as people have said things do change( dont we know it)

keep your chin up:biggrin: good things come to those who wait..............

besides it gives the economy more time to recover:biglaugh:

jools xx

Guest bindog1uk

Hi garynhelen, better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all, stick with it or you will never know what you could of had. When you get into your fifty's or sixty's and you hadn't gone you will alway's regret it, going through life wondering what could have been, if it's your dream, stick with it , it will come true one day:hug:

:wink:Lesley

Because of the current property prices in UK, we do not intend to sell our properties, but to rent them out and wait until prices pick up a bit.

I hear this a lot.

Property prices are still above the peak of the 1989 boom relative to wages, rents or a variety of other metrics. I really wouldn't be surprised if you see another 20% or 30% off them.

If you're looking to sell then now's a good time to do it. Otherwise you could end up waiting for around a decade for wages to catch up.

Yeah, I'm pretty bearish on the UK property market. The Australian one is a major crash waiting to happen.

"just remember hen, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger".

That's Nietzsche, an eminently quotable German philosopher who is very popular with dispossessed teens. He missed out the "just remember hen" part though, as that would have wrecked his brooding image. :wink:

Guest natamy

queensland asked us to show we had approx £22000.all our money was tied up in our property.we managed to borrow the money as a loan.we then asked our bank to produce a letter confirming our funds.about two weeks later after a reply from queensland,we gave back our loan.it might have cost us aprox £5-600ish[one year ago] but it took us to the next stage