What's The Definition Of 'Cheap/Expensive'?

Guest guest37336

Guest guest37336

Have been reading a few threads on here and also been watching a few ads on TV, and this isn't a 'new' thing, just a general observation.

I read the other day on here that £2000 - £3000 for a second hand car was classed as cheap, not having a go, but the word cheap did surprise me a bit. Also on the TV, a lot of goods etc, are now said to be 'only' this amount or that amount, but when looked at realistically these items are really (well to me) expensive. A TV reduced from £800 to £600, now according to the ads, 'That is a bargain'.:goofy:

So have we lost sight of what constitutes a bargain these days, are we for the most part much more well off in this and age (even with the recession) that we see money as 'just' that, money and place little value on it.

I guess a lot depends on what you are earning really. Someone on £50,000 - £100,000 may well view certain things as being 'cheap', whereas someone on a lower wage might view the exact same item as expensive, horse for courses I guess, but nonetheless it is a little worrying when some items (and lets be honest) can be a bit peripheral to our everyday lives, are seen in this light.

I guess what I am trying to say is, have we become a little blasé about money and what it can do for us, and also take away from us. I know with the current economic situation a lot of people are struggling, some more than others, but all the same our 'view' of certain aspects of the world have IMO become a little skewed and the true value of having money, and vice versa have become a little off kilter.

Just my thoughts is all.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

I have to agree with you, spending $1000+ on something almost seems "normal" nowadays.

Recently I have had to hold myself back from impulses to buy a "bargain" because in reality is still a bloody lot of money that you are spending.

I was getting my motorbike serviced and new tyres ($1000+ :chatterbox:) and the dealer also sells jet skis. There must have been at least 20 new jet ski's in the service department that cost $15k/$20K waiting to be picked up!

Guest guest17301

I think its all relative Tony, it depends on how flush you're feeling. A bit of extra cash slips through the fingers very easily though doesn't it.

If we added up the amount we waste on absolutely useless purchases per year I reckon we'd be shocked. I'd love to live off the land and be one of those people who recycle everything, a proper hippy but unfortunately I'n not diciplined/organised enough and like my everyday conveniences.

Archived