Student Guardian visa or long term Tourist ?

annever

Hello,

I’ve been reading this forum for some time now as we’ve started the long process of the family sponsored 176 visa in August (Ielts passed and Vetassess still pending :mad:). Thanks to all of you for this wonderful source of information.

In the meantime, we have changed our plan. Because my brother who lives on the Gold Coast is going to have his second baby, because he misses family and also because it is now the right time for us to take a career break and not in 2 years, we have decided to go to Australia already as from July this year (flights are booked :cool:) .

Therefore, we decided to enroll our older child in a local primary school for a year and request a student visa for him. For the rest of us (my partner and my second child), we have some doubts about which visa to request. We are not sure that both parents and a child can be on a student guardian visa (580) and we are also a little bit uncomfortable about the "no further stay" condition that seems always attached to it.

The other option would be to request a long term tourist visa for the rest of us. It seems pretty straight trough to obtain if we can show that we have enough funds to support ourselves for one year and may not come with a no further stay condition (again if I understood it well).

I know that every situation is different but what would be your choice? Keeping in mind that we may want to try to find a company to sponsor us in order to be able to stay longer (we cannot indefinitely live without working). Are there any pitfalls we've overlooked in this project? Any other options to be considered?

Thank you for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MarkandVerlie
Hello,

I’ve been reading this forum for some time now as we’ve started the long process of the family sponsored 176 visa in August (Ielts passed and Vetassess still pending :mad:). Thanks to all of you for this wonderful source of information.

In the meantime, we have changed our plan. Because my brother who lives on the Gold Coast is going to have his second baby, because he misses family and also because it is now the right time for us to take a career break and not in 2 years, we have decided to go to Australia already as from July this year (flights are booked :cool:) .

Therefore, we decided to enroll our older child in a local primary school for a year and request a student visa for him. For the rest of us (my partner and my second child), we have some doubts about which visa to request. We are not sure that both parents and a child can be on a student guardian visa (580) and we are also a little bit uncomfortable about the "no further stay" condition that seems always attached to it.

The other option would be to request a long term tourist visa for the rest of us. It seems pretty straight trough to obtain if we can show that we have enough funds to support ourselves for one year and may not come with a no further stay condition (again if I understood it well).

I know that every situation is different but what would be your choice? Keeping in mind that we may want to try to find a company to sponsor us in order to be able to stay longer (we cannot indefinitely live without working). Are there any pitfalls we've overlooked in this project? Any other options to be considered?

Thank you for your help.

Hi There,

I can only really advise you on the tourist visa option, as this is what I am on.

The No further stay clause only means that you cannot have any extension to your current visa or apply for another visa, whilst in Australia, you can very easily zip over to NZ and apply for further visas. If you can still prove funds, and meet all other requirements, there is no reason why you can't apply for another 1 year tourist visa from there.

Seeking work whilst on a tourist visa is frowned upon and if DIAC wanted to, they could revoke your visa because of it.

We are currently in Perth, waiting for our 176 to come through.

I'm a kept man on a 1 year tourist visa while my wife keeps me in beers on a Working holiday visa!! 12 month tourist visas ALWAYS come with a no further stay clause. I'm not too sure about 6 or 9 month ones.

Hope this has been of some help.

Mark

Guest Laura G

The guardian visa is only for 1 Parent, no dependents and an 8503 condition

The whole family could come on a student visa.

If your coming to the Gold Coast, there are courses such as Surfing that you can get a visa for.

Cost for a 12 month course is approx $6000, your kids school fess would then be reduced to just over $8k as he/she would receive discount fees on a 572 student visa compared to international costs on a 571 visa.

Another type of course would be a Diploma of Management, which is about $4500 for a 36 week course

At least you could have 20 hours per week work rights

one visa fee of $550 rather than paying for the tourist visas fees for all the family.