Poor student wanting to move - is it realistic?

Guest Mark g

Hi all!

I am 21 years old and in my final year at uni studying Accounting and financial management here in England.

Being a student I have built up fairly large debt I will need to pay off once (or if) i'm lucky enough to find a job! I have little cash in my bank accounts apart from a few savings I made when I was younger.

I have recently applied for Australian citizenship as my Dad was born in Australia. Assuming my citizenship goes through - fingers crossed, I will then be eligible to apply for a passport.

I was wondering if anyone could point out or offer some guidance on what the next step I should make to be able to work and live in Oz?

Also with my financial situation as it is, do you think me moving to Oz is realistic or am I getting excited about something which is unlikely to happen?

Any views and thoughts would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Mark

I would wait and see if you are given citizenship before committing to anything. I assume you have checked out the migration website and have an application in the pipeline. Which part of Australia were you thinking of? I imagine there would be more work in the Eastern capitals.

If you can get yourself an australian passport, then once you've saved enough for the airfare, you'd effectively be in the same boat over here as in the UK. i.e. needing to find work, probably needing to move and find accommodation near that work, and basically building up a new life from scratch, in a new town, needing new local friends, it's what everyone goes through when leaving Uni. I would say it's probably easier to make the move now, than in a few years time once you've already established yourself somewhere, and then uprooting yourself and doing it all again.

Differences would mainly be:

- distance from and cost to visit family and friends (Skype is your best friend for dealing with this)

- cost of a one way flight to australia

- you would be repaying your student loan from post-tax income in australia, rather than pre-tax in the UK (you are required to inform the student loans company when you move abroad, and keep them informed of your income. They will let you know what your repayments in GPB need to be, and you will have to sort them out, meaning that you are responsible for paying any international transfer fees/exchange rates etc)

- culture, scenery, climate etc, but I'm sure you're already aware of those

Thank you both for your replies!

If I were to move I would most likely move to either the Brisbane area as I have family there or maybe the Melbourne area.

As you said I think one of the biggest barriers would be finding a job, which Is a problem in England anyway.

Is there a big difference in the cost of living eg rent and food prices etc between the main cities in the country?

Again thanks for your replies they have both been very helpful.

Rents are generally higher in the bigger cities (Sydney, Melbourne).

From experience, I would say go where you have family, provided there is work around there, it's as good a place as any to start, and on the occasional days when it all gets a bit much, as least you've got some company and a free dinner.

Rents are generally higher in the bigger cities (Sydney, Melbourne).

From experience, I would say go where you have family, provided there is work around there, it's as good a place as any to start, and on the occasional days when it all gets a bit much, as least you've got some company and a free dinner.

I would second that - nothing like a few family members if you start to feel homesick!

Guest tomwhite

You can survive on very little if you need to and you are determined to make it work - if you have full working rights (which you would with citizenship of course) you'll be able to find some kind of work, quickly, as long as your not fussy and don't want massive pay at first. Then you can look for something more meaningful.

You'd need the airfare (obviously) and enough to keep you going for a month minimum I would say, and if you've got family members here that would make it easier too.

Archived