You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest journeydownunder

Vetassess started ielts being sat today!!

Guest journeydownunder

So we are still a loooooong way from getting to Oz but finally vetassess has been submitted and today I have sat my ielts and am now waiting At international house London to do the speaking bit!

Feels good to have at last done something about this 10 year dream! Just hope we get the results we want! Fingers and toes crossed!!

Xxx

Good luck, hope all goes well x

Oz is Beautiful, but the uk is home :wubclub:

Returned to Bournemouth 20th August 2010

Let's roll the wheel of fortune ! Good luck to you !

IELTS PASSED MAY, 28. OVERALL 8.0, LISTENING 9.0, READING 8.5, WRITING 7.5, SPEAKING 7.0. AITSL certificate granted on May, 16. EIO submitted on 2/7/12. Invitation received 3/12/12. 489 Visa granted on 24/04/13

Guest journeydownunder

Thanks everyone! Just have to wait out the results now. If anyone knows how many points you need to score on each of the tests to get band 8 then please share! I'm not good at waiting!!

Guest roymoody

There's a scoring calculator below which should give you an idea of how many correct answers you need for a particular band. I sat my IELTS yesterday too and think I should be a band 8 in reading, listening and writing but don't think I did well on the speaking test .... I looked at a lot of questions online and they all seemed to be about whats your favourite present, whats you favourite type of music,etc but my questions were based around something like "..what challenges are faced in the modern world and how have the intellectual and physical challenges people face changed throughout the decades ?" ..... Whats that all about ???!

its going to be a long 2 weeks ... and them another exam booking I think !!!

Calculate Your IELTS result - get your Band Score in Reading and Listening

Guest journeydownunder

Thanks roymoody that's really helpful. Like you I think I'm fine for an 8 on the Reading and listening as it's either right or wrong and I'm pretty sure I got most of them right. The writing and speaking is so much harder to judge. I need 8 overall and 8 in speaking for my state sponsorship so we will just have to see how we go! We go on hols on Thursday for 18 days so I will have to wait a little longer to find out! Grr!!

Good luck with your results! What bands do you need and what visa route are yu taking?

Guest roymoody

As I'm now "old" ... at 41 ... I no longer have enough points under the normal route so hoping for WA state sponsorship ... I had my skills assessed about a year ago but everything was put on hold whilst Oz sorted out the SMP's ! The WA SMP was released with my skill but IELTS 7777 was the minimum requirement...hence the exam yesterday ... I really want to get things moving and don't really want to have to take this exam again ! I think I will get a 8886 .. which is no good ! ... Good luck with your 8's ... keep us posted !

Guest Magnetic6

I think if you're both native English speakers it's really unlikely you'll fail the speaking part of the test, as my examiner walked me to the room for my test he basically told me it was a formality....you'll both be fine!!! x

Guest journeydownunder
I think if you're both native English speakers it's really unlikely you'll fail the speaking part of the test, as my examiner walked me to the room for my test he basically told me it was a formality....you'll both be fine!!! x

I'm not worried about passing, but I need 8 on speaking and 8 overall to satisfy the "limited occupation " requirements for ACT sponsorship. Fingers crossed or I'll be spending another saturday sitting exams :-(

x

Guest Magnetic6

You won't get an 8........you'll get a 9 :wink: x

Guest journeydownunder

Bless ya! Thanks!! I hope so!!!

X

Guest roymoody

It looks as though I was worried about nothing .... just got my IELTS results through this morning .... Listening 9, Reading 9, Speaking 9, Writing 8.5, Overall 9...... and I was worried I wasn't going to get a 7 in my speaking test ! Thats Oz a little closer now ....

Guest journeydownunder

Awesome congrats!! Like you say, one less thing to worry about! Keeping my fingers crossed then that I've done ok! I'm in Thailand, not back for another 9 days!!! Eek!!! I'll let you know how I get on!!!

Em

Hi, My OH has to take his IELTS test. We haven't booked it yet so I was wondering if it's worth ordering the practice materials for him to have a go? He's a born and bred Brit by the way. Thanks

Guest roymoody

I would definetely look at the practice tests - maybe its just me (or that school is now a distant memory) but I didn't know that a opinion essay, an argument essay and a hidden argument essay should have different formats ! The structures outlined on the web, coupled with the practice materials make it easy. Time will be against you though - its worthing working out how you get all this into the available time slots !

As I have proved with my speaking test (and the rubbish answers!!) its more about structure than content. I think you could probably talk about anything ! I was told that the only way a native english person would not get at least a 7 in the speaking would be not to say anything ! I wish they had told me that first and I wouldn't have been stressing about it !

Good Luck !

Guest journeydownunder

Got back from hols today to my results and.... Yipppeeeeee!!!! L9 R8.5 S9 W9 overall 9!!! So relieved I can't tell you!! I was dreading have to back to London and spend another Saturday taking tests!!!

Phew... now just waiting for the VETASSESS result whilst holding my breath hoping ACT don't fill my "limited" occupation!!... Eek!!!:eek:

good news, i to am now to old and have to sit an ielts , i have a degree i'm still very apprehensive about this, hopefully i can draw some inspiration from your results well done again!

Visa Applied 25/5/11, GRANTED 16/9/11 Now Living the Dream In Perth:jiggy: