Anyone in Blue Mountains/Penrith area?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cyprus2008
Hi cyprus2008

Up for a BBQ anytime - maybe we could meet at Tench Reserve one weekend - lots of space and a coffee shop!

If you're interested PM me your number or my details are on my website!

Hi becky ive got your mobile number from you website i will definately txt in the week 2 arrange a meet up! speak soon hayley

• 5 weeks later...

I'm sure we'll be up for a BBQ too at some time. Just been offered a job for an electrical company in Penrith which will make for a short commute. Can't wait to get there now......less than 5 weeks.

All our furniture has gone and the kids are sleeping on airbeds in Aberdeen but it's a small sacrifice for something we have been waiting for for 3 years!!

Somebody on here mentioned they were a nurse......

I'm quitting my offshore job to work locally when I get there which is obviously a drop in wages. It will give my wife opportunity to train and she wants to get into the health industry. Are there any provisions for new migrants to get help with childcare costs like people do in the UK?

Something along the lines of child benefit or working tax credit........

You can get money back for approved childcare and registered childcare if you meet work and study requirements which I think is around 15 hours per week of study or work. Approved childcare is long day care and registered is pre-school. You can get up to 50% of approved childcare paid for (income tested) paid direct to provider and you get 43cents per hour for registered care but you have to pay and then claim it back. You can get an estimate of what you are likely to get on www.centrelink.gov.au However, it also depends on residency status - but the calculators on centrelink should help!

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

With our wee man being 3 1/2, he has just started nursery over here, attached to the local primary school. He will be eligible for that next school year (Feb 2012) in Oz but I can't find any facilities in Glenmore Park. The closest is Kingswood South.

Any of you have kids of this age and what do they do?

Hi Mark - are you meaning pre-schools and Long day care in Glenmore Park? There are loads - depends if you wat a pre-school or a long day care centre! I definately advise you to look around when you get here as some pre-schools and day cares are shocking - as in the UK!

Depending on your son's date of birth will depend on what year he starts school in Oz. He has to turn 5 before 31st July to be eligible to start in 2012 - most kids start the year they turn 6 here but obviously it's all personal choice.

Hi Mark - are you meaning pre-schools and Long day care in Glenmore Park? There are loads - depends if you wat a pre-school or a long day care centre! I definately advise you to look around when you get here as some pre-schools and day cares are shocking - as in the UK!

Depending on your son's date of birth will depend on what year he starts school in Oz. He has to turn 5 before 31st July to be eligible to start in 2012 - most kids start the year they turn 6 here but obviously it's all personal choice.

He won't be 5 before July so it's a pre-school we are after rather than Kindergarten which he will be ready for in 2013.

I know that there are long day care centres but these seem to be expensive and have longer hours than what he is used to.

yep you're right there - I pay $40 a day for my daughhters preschool, but will pay $79 a day for my youngests long day care. The difference is you actually get a lot more rebate for long day care than pre-school. My daughters pre-school is term time - which suits me, but I get $175 a term back - which I have to claim back from centrelink - as opposed to getting $39 per day for the long day care which gets paid direct to them. Although the long day care goes from 6.30am - 6.30pm my daughter won't stay for the whole day - so it sort of works out about the same - if you see what I mean!

There are also more choices for long day care than just pre-schools. I hope this helps and makes some sense - feel like I am rambling but I know how much of a stress this can be!

I am based in Leonay - nr Emu Plains. KU centres are usually pretty good as they are not for profit. My eldest daughter went to the one in Penrith which she loved and it was great because it had such a nice environment. It was also 9am til 3pm and term time only - so great to have a break for the holidays, both financially and for her.

I looked at loads of long day care centres and the only one I liked at all was an Explore and Develop centre - I think there is one in Glenmore Park but I haven't been to it and they are privately owned and run.But it was by far the best option in my opinion. However, most of the private centres I visited were very run down and obviously not much being invested in them.

At least you will be here soon which will be a really good time to look around and get your little one's name down as the academic year obsviously starts in Feb, so currently all the pre-schools and day cares are doing their lists for next year. You will have a good chance of getting him in the one that you really want him to go to.

I think lots of people drive about 20mins to take their children to a pre-school they feel suitable. Obviously school a different ball game as kids go to the local public school - there is very little option unless you go private.

Anything else I can help with - give us a shout!

Hi Dudes, Im currently living with my uncle in Werrington Downs, Penrith. Just been on the job search lately as i arrived 3 weeks ago. I am a 23 year old joiner from Wigan on a WHV, looking to get a PR soon though, really dont wanna go home!!! How do you all find living out here? Also if anyone knows of any work gizza shout! Cheers. Mark

• 1 month later...

Been here over a month now. Settling in but it is hard, life seems expensive and our house is smaller but we are starting again after all.

Can anybody recommend any decent playparks for kids or anything fun to do over the Christmas holidays. We could even meet up if you have kids......

Hi Mark and Jodie

Have you tried the park near Cables Wake Park in Panthers? It's got a huge air pillow and play area. There is also the Coffee Club opposite the Nepean River which has a play area, or there is nice park opposite and a nice walk along the river to other parks as well.

Lollipops is an indoor play area which we go to occassionally - they wristband the kids and give you a matching security tag which gives some piece of mind!

There is a small park at Emu Plains which has a nice park attached with a smallish track around - good for bigger ones on bikes and scooters as well as a kick about.

Lookout in the paper over the holidays as Panthers do a free family funday Sunday - bouncy cstles, face painting etc and they do an open air movie at 6pm for the kids - think it is the first Sunday of every month! Bicentennial Park in Homebush is great but always v busy and we love the parks in Darling Harbour - when we get into the city!

Featherdale Wildlife Park in Doonside is great and you usually get 2 for 1 with Coles shop-a-docket!

We are having a BBQ with Jo and Jon (also from PIO) on Boxing Day which you are more than welcome to come to, otherwise meet up anytime - PM me or my contact details on my website below.

I know that it took us awhile to settle in, still finding our feet a bit now and it's definately so much more expensive than it used to be - but much prefer the lifestyle!

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...
Been here over a month now. Settling in but it is hard, life seems expensive and our house is smaller but we are starting again after all.

Can anybody recommend any decent playparks for kids or anything fun to do over the Christmas holidays. We could even meet up if you have kids......

Hi Mark

We are moving over in April and have been looking at Glenmore Park as a possible area to live. We are a young family of 4 (2 kids: 2 years and 6 months). I will be working around Parramatta.

How have you settled in & would you recommend Glenmore Park? What's it like for outdoor play areas, shops etc?

Cheers

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Chris85

Hi Everyone - only just seen this thread. I am living in the Penrith area also, got here in August and originally from Manchester. Let me know if anybody fancies catching up.

Cheers

Chris

Guest thehagans

Hello,

I live in Leonay (its lovely!) and have an almost 2 year old.

We were thinking about having a bbq soon if anyone is keen?

:)

Archived