Moving to Mackay

Lexi

Hi, I am new to this site. My husband and I are moving to Mackay around March/April with our 1 year old son. I am very excited but the unknown is also terrifying. I have a few questions which I am finding difficult to get answers too so here goes,

Are there any B&B's, guest houses that we could stay in on a temporary basis that would not cost a fortune? But they would have to be to a good standard for our little boy. I have emailed the council but have not had a response. I have also emailed 4 estate agents and also had no response. I have received some prices back from hotels in Mackay and they are very expensive.

My Husband's office is in East Mackay (Sydney Street). I am trying to get an idea of how far everything is, so could we look at property in North Mackay and could he cycle to work or is that a large distance?

I would also would like to know which areas I should be looking at for rental accommodation. North Mackay and South seem to have big outdoor swimming pools so I assume these are the areas that have the most happening? I would really like to be somewhere that has clubs for my little boy to join etc so we could both make friends.

Anyway my questions could go on forever but I will stop there. Even if you dont know the answers to my questions just making a friend before I get there would make me feel a lot better.

• 5 weeks later...
Hi, I am new to this site. My husband and I are moving to Mackay around March/April with our 1 year old son. I am very excited but the unknown is also terrifying. I have a few questions which I am finding difficult to get answers too so here goes ....

Hi Lexi

We are also looking into a move to MACKAY and have 2 young children too. Did you ever find any responses to your questions i.e. short stay rental, B&Bs for when you first arrive and are looking for your long stay rental, or any info on good areas to look to move to, longer-term? We are trying to do a budget/costing for everything also so would be good to have a good idea of all the costs involved.

Would be nice to hear from you! :cute:

Kate xx

HI, i stayed in mackay for a while, i couldnt find a hotel/b&B for a reasonable price. I believe this is because of all the miners that are in mackay and the accomodation is priced for there wages and most of the time is completly full anyway. The only thing we could find was on a caravan park, a little unit that was $400 a week so we ended up renting in a shared house which cost us $200 a week. Private house rental is (i think) the only way to go. When you get there go to a newsagents and buy a pocket trader which has private rentals in there, there are usually about 20 or 30. Hope this helps.Cheers

Hi Kate,

Got loads of help. As far as I can tell food is very expensive and fruit and veg will get more expensive becasue of the damage the cyclone did to the crops. I found that temporary accommodation was expensive too because it all seems to be geared towards tourists. There were cheap places but I was not sure if it was up to standard for my little boy to live in.

Electricity seems slightly cheaper and if you rent you wont pay council tax which seems slightly more expensive.

We are also from Newcastle, we live in Cramlington at the moment but we have tenants moving into our house soon so moving in with my in laws in Blyth at the end of Feb. Have you applied for you visa or are you just thinking about things at the moment?

Carrie

Guest lise2802
Hi Kate,

Got loads of help. As far as I can tell food is very expensive and fruit and veg will get more expensive becasue of the damage the cyclone did to the crops. I found that temporary accommodation was expensive too because it all seems to be geared towards tourists. There were cheap places but I was not sure if it was up to standard for my little boy to live in.

Electricity seems slightly cheaper and if you rent you wont pay council tax which seems slightly more expensive.

We are also from Newcastle, we live in Cramlington at the moment but we have tenants moving into our house soon so moving in with my in laws in Blyth at the end of Feb. Have you applied for you visa or are you just thinking about things at the moment?

Carrie

Hi there Lexi. I am from Durham. I'm living in New Zealand at the moment ( do not like it) and due to the pike river mine disaster will be moving to Mackay. Have you moved there yet? My boyfriend has just gone over there As he starts his work on monday, but i have to remain in New Zealand until my Visa comes through. Being only nineteen I'm concerned about college and completing my education. do you know of any colleges or how any schools work?

Lisa

Hi lise

I am not sure about colleges but I am sure there will be one. There is a Uni called the James Cook University in South Mackay.

We are not there yet still waiting on our visa but should be there by the 1st April. When do you think you will be arriving in Mackay?

If I can find anything out about colleges I will let you know. Hope you like Mackay more than New Zealand!

HI, i stayed in mackay for a while, i couldnt find a hotel/b&B for a reasonable price. I believe this is because of all the miners that are in mackay and the accomodation is priced for there wages and most of the time is completly full anyway. The only thing we could find was on a caravan park, a little unit that was $400 a week so we ended up renting in a shared house which cost us $200 a week. Private house rental is (i think) the only way to go. When you get there go to a newsagents and buy a pocket trader which has private rentals in there, there are usually about 20 or 30. Hope this helps.Cheers

Hi and thanks for your reply. Ive heard that it is rather expensive to live there. Unfortunately I dont think we could do the shared house thing with 2 toddler - more for the other residentd peace! Yeah I think I would check out the private rentals, Thanks!

Hi Kate,

Carrie

Hi Carrie,

Thanks for the reply. We lived in Rowlands Gill (some people havent heard of it mind!). We responded to a job ad on Pomsinoz and the recruitment guy thinks my partner could have a good chance with the company he is recruiting for - Based in Mackay - with visas. But we have had a job offer before in Brisbane and had it all fall through so we are rather cautious about things. But I like to find out about the areas etc first. Someone else off this forum is going over for the same job and the process has been quite quick for him.

We have had our house up for sale for over a year now as wanted to sell it before this came about but I think we would have to rent it out.

I know what you mean, you need a good sturdy, decent place to take little ones into, im rather picky too! :unsure: What do you think you will do, will you go straight into a longer-term rental?

Kate

I have heard of Rowlands Gill. We have been really lucky, my Husbands recruitment consultants Sister has offered us a place at hers until we find something more permenant. She lives in Slade Point so just next to Mackay. I am going to start looking as soon as we get there.

Stay in touch and let me know how the job offer goes etc because once I am there I will be able to have a good look around for you and see if I can find anywhere that is nice but not ridiculously priced.

If you do come it would be great to meet up. Our little boy Alex is 15 months and I am sure would love your 2 little ones. I am 30 and my Husband Jamie is 28. Jamie has got a job as an Engineer and we are hoping that I wont have to work so I can spend time with Alex and have another baby.

Anyway keep me posted and I will too on our visa application.

Carrie

Hi Carrie,

You are lucky, thats really kind of her isnt it - must be a huge weight lifted off you! Yeah that would be great, if you let me know how you get on with your area searches. And would be lovely to meet up if we do get there. Still seems like such a long way off possibility for us. Would be good to hear how you get on. Will keep you posted too!

Kate x

Hey Kate,

Our visa status is now updated to processed further and they are asking for discharge papers from my husband as he used to be in the territorial army. It was so long ago that it is filed away and could take 28 days to get it. It feels like you just get closer and someone pulls it away from you again!

Hey Kate,

Our visa status is now updated to processed further and they are asking for discharge papers from my husband as he used to be in the territorial army. It was so long ago that it is filed away and could take 28 days to get it. It feels like you just get closer and someone pulls it away from you again!

Ah thats a nightmare! Hopefully that will be the only thing they need. I bet you are just wanting to get there now. We are still waiting for the recuitment guy to ring Stephen with the details so feel like we are just sitting waiting for that call.

Just twidling our thumbs as you see none of our friends or family know we are doing this yet, as we have been here before and everyones opinions started to sway us away from the idea. And then when it all fell through - we had everyone to explain it all to :wacko:

Kate x

I cant imagine having to tell everyone that it had all fallen through. Dont let anyone sway you, if your willing to try again after what happened last time it must be what you both want and you have already made a friend which will hopefully make it easier to settle in.

I warn you there is plenty more thumb twiddling to come once the visa application is in. Fingers crossed for your phone call and for the MOD to pull their finger out and hand over the discharge papers.

Carrie x

Ah thats a nightmare! Hopefully that will be the only thing they need. I bet you are just wanting to get there now. We are still waiting for the recuitment guy to ring Stephen with the details so feel like we are just sitting waiting for that call.

Just twidling our thumbs as you see none of our friends or family know we are doing this yet, as we have been here before and everyones opinions started to sway us away from the idea. And then when it all fell through - we had everyone to explain it all to :wacko:

Kate x

Just hang in there, mate...

Mackay is far warmer than Newcastle :laugh: And cleaner...

Yes, I used to go to Gosforth for "summer" hols when I was a youn 'un.

Cheers, Bobj.

Just hang in there, mate...

Mackay is far warmer than Newcastle :laugh: And cleaner...

Yes, I used to go to Gosforth for "summer" hols when I was a youn 'un.

Cheers, Bobj.

Ha ha I bet it is! Thats the bit im looking forward to - letting the kids out in the nice fresh air!

Gosforth - I didnt know that was where people holiday'd :cute:. We love Tynemouth beach in the hols, but you get one nice sunny day, and its absolutely packed.

Still no news....

Kate

Hi everyone

Just a word of warning, I have just spent a week in Mackay trying to find a rental property, its not easy I tell you. For anyone that has a set date for moving I would advise calling all the real estate agents at least 3 weeks prior to that, the trouble I had was they wont let one person view a house so when you go and view you are up against 7 or more people but the main problem was houses that were available now they will leave for up to 2 weeks before they do a viewing. I found it all a bit weird it doesnt work like that in Brissy, however we did get the house we wanted yippeeee and get the keys on Monday. Not trying to put anyone off but it would have been easier had I known that before I arrived.

There is a great place to take the kids though Bluewater Lagoon its free has slides and very shallow pool area for the younger ones, we went last week and the kids loved it.

Hi everyone

Just a word of warning, I have just spent a week in Mackay trying to find a rental property, its not easy I tell you. For anyone that has a set date for moving I would advise calling all the real estate agents at least 3 weeks prior to that, the trouble I had was they wont let one person view a house so when you go and view you are up against 7 or more people but the main problem was houses that were available now they will leave for up to 2 weeks before they do a viewing. I found it all a bit weird it doesnt work like that in Brissy, however we did get the house we wanted yippeeee and get the keys on Monday. Not trying to put anyone off but it would have been easier had I known that before I arrived.

There is a great place to take the kids though Bluewater Lagoon its free has slides and very shallow pool area for the younger ones, we went last week and the kids loved it.

Hiya,

Thanks for that info, I was aware of those 'block viewings' but only from when I was researching Brisbane rentals a couple of years ago, wasnt sure if it was the same in Mackay. But not sure how it works, if there are lots of people viewing and they all like it - who gets it? Is these a points scheme or something? So really if they are available for about 2 weeks only - we will probably have to have spare cash for short-term rental until we found somewhere.

The lagoon place sounds excellent - what area is that in?

Kate x

Hiya,

Thanks for that info, I was aware of those 'block viewings' but only from when I was researching Brisbane rentals a couple of years ago, wasnt sure if it was the same in Mackay. But not sure how it works, if there are lots of people viewing and they all like it - who gets it? Is these a points scheme or something? So really if they are available for about 2 weeks only - we will probably have to have spare cash for short-term rental until we found somewhere.

The lagoon place sounds excellent - what area is that in?

Kate x

Here you go, mate:

Google Maps

Cheers, Bobj.