Sign in to follow this  
Guest Siamozzer

HELP! PetAirUK turned me down - what now?

Guest Siamozzer

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a tizz about this (and I know it's a bit long, so sorry in advance), but any help or suggestions will be much appreciated. :)

We're currently living in Denmark, and we'll be moving to Sydney soon, hopefully August/September-ish. We have a two year old Siamese neuter who'll be coming with us.

After reading all the rave reviews here (and anywhere else I could find them) about PetAirUK, I thought we were set, and that his move would go smoothly, but, after my request for a quote, I received a reply from PetAir which said that they couldn't help. When I asked for clarification, I was told

Unfortunately the reason we are unable to assist from the UK is that the airlines request that the company booking the flight needs to be based in the country of departure so we are, in this instance, unable to even assist with flight booking.
and she sent me to the IPATA website to look for a Danish company.

Now, there is only one company here, and I had rather abortive contact with them last year, when I was arranging the export of a Siamese breeding queen from here to the UK for a friend of mine. I called them for a quote, and they asked me to send an email, which I did. When I got no response I called again a few days later and was told that they would be getting to it soon, but I never did receive a quote from them. My friend ended up driving all the way from the UK and back to pick up her cat!

Now, maybe I'm being too harsh, but the thought of putting the complicated process of a move to Australia - not to mention my cat's life - in the hands of a company that couldn't even get themselves together enough to email a quote, makes me go :swoon:!

So, now what do I do? I have managed to find this on the IPATA website, but it has left me even more confused:

You do not need to have a professional pet shipper in your city or even in your state/country. Through their international network, professional pet shippers can handle any and all arrangements to ensure personal care and handling of your family pet from the time it is picked up at your home until it is delivered to your new home - wherever it might be.
So, who is right (IPATA or PetAirUK), and what would you do? Has anyone here actually managed to go through a pet shipping company that wasn't in the country they were in, or were you turned down by the airlines? What should I do: try to find an Australian company who will do an import (or maybe another pet shipper), or is the Danish company my only option?

TIA. :)

Guest siamsusie

Hi Siamozzer,

Moving to Melbourne Kate, (Admin) is the pet expert on this forum. hopefully she will pick this up and advise you accordingly... alternatively maybe send her a pm.

I hope you manage to sort this out.

With best wishes Susie x

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/members/16482.html

Guest Siamozzer

Thanks, Suzie. Me too. :smile:

I'll wait for a while and see if Kate pops in here, and then if she doesn't I'll be sure to send her a PM later.

Guest BrightonBoys

Are there any regualtions about shipping your cat from Denmark to the UK? If there isn't could you get your cat to here and then organise the trip from the UK?

Kevin

Guest Siamozzer

They have to be in the 'originating country' for 6 months before being allowed into Australia, which would mean we'd need 6 months from now to complete the rabies tests and titres for him to be allowed into the UK in the first place, and then he'd have to be resident in the UK for another 6 months before we'd do it all again to ship him to Oz.

We did consider it, Kevin, but it's not going to work, , sadly.

Hi Siamozzer

Ok the rules are nothing to do with the shipping company themselves but to do with the airline. As pets fly as cargo they have to be shipped from the same country that the company is in.

However, I have just had a chat with Bob and he says that if you get your furry one on the Pet Passport (you are right this is 6 months) you can then ship to the UK. Don't worry your little one will not have to spend another 6 months in the UK (there are ways around this).

I have just spoke with Bob who is the director of Petair and he is more than happy to work with you on a plan to ship your little one, if you want to call him direct please ring: 01725 551124 and ask for Bob Ghandour.

As you are not moving until August you do have time to get everything in place if you act now.

Any problems let me know.

Kate

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Guest BrightonBoys

:notworthy::notworthy: @ Kate

Now can you mange me a discount on my two boys please.......

:notworthy::notworthy: @ Kate

Now can you mange me a discount on my two boys please.......

Unfortunately not but nice try:wink:

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Guest BrightonBoys
Unfortunately not but nice try:wink:

Well was worth asking.......:biggrin:

Guest Siamozzer

:notworthy::notworthy: Thank you very much Kate. You're an angel.

However, I have just had a chat with Bob and he says that if you get your furry one on the Pet Passport (you are right this is 6 months) you can then ship to the UK. Don't worry your little one will not have to spend another 6 months in the UK (there are ways around this).

That's very good to know. :biggrin: He does already have a passport: I imported him from Sweden to Denmark as a kitten. However, his rabies vaccination is the Tricat 3-year one, and he's only two, so he's never had a booster, but I suppose I'll need to get him one before the move to Oz.

I have just spoke with Bob who is the director of Petair and he is more than happy to work with you on a plan to ship your little one ... As you are not moving until August you do have time to get everything in place if you act now.

Any problems let me know.

Kate

Thanks again. I'll give Bob a call just now, and I will keep you posted.

:notworthy::notworthy: Thank you very much Kate. You're an angel.

That's very good to know. :biggrin: He does already have a passport: I imported him from Sweden to Denmark as a kitten. However, his rabies vaccination is the Tricat 3-year one, and he's only two, so he's never had a booster, but I suppose I'll need to get him one before the move to Oz.

Thanks again. I'll give Bob a call just now, and I will keep you posted.

No worries at all, glad to hear you have the passport in place, give him a hug from me:animal-cat::animal-cat::animal-cat:

Guest Siamozzer
No worries at all, glad to hear you have the passport in place, give him a hug from me:animal-cat::animal-cat::animal-cat:

Just did. :biggrin:

Okay, so I've spoken to Bob, and it looks like this can be sorted out, our cat can go via the UK and dispensations can be applied for. I'm just waiting for a quote, and we'll take it from there. :cute: So, looks like there'll be a happy ending to this after all.

Thanks again for you help, Kate. I thought you might like to see a picture of the beautiful boy (I freely admit to being biased) that you've been sorting out.

:wubclub:sorry had to jump IN but yr cat is BEAUTIFUL !

Brides x

If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle:cute:

Guest BrightonBoys

I grew up with siamise cats... he is a right beaut!!

Guest Siamozzer

Aaw, thank you both. :cute:

I think he's gorgeous, but then, I have since I saw his kitten pics on his breeder's website. I fell utterly in love, and knew I he was mine, in another country or no. I then had to endure OH's friends' comments like, 'What? Aren't there any kittens in Denmark?' :embarrassed: :laugh: Who knows what they think of us paying so much to take him to Oz, but I don't care really!

Anyway, he's been my devoted sidekick since then (he'd probably say he was my supervisor if he could talk - you sound like you'd know what I mean when I say that about the Siamese breed, BrightonBoys) and I wouldn't part with him for the world.

Aaw, thank you both. :cute:

I think he's gorgeous, but then, I have since I saw his kitten pics on his breeder's website. I fell utterly in love, and knew I he was mine, in another country or no. I then had to endure OH's friends' comments like, 'What? Aren't there any kittens in Denmark?' :embarrassed: :laugh: Who knows what they think of us paying so much to take him to Oz, but I don't care really!

Anyway, he's been my devoted sidekick since then (he'd probably say he was my supervisor if he could talk - you sound like you'd know what I mean when I say that about the Siamese breed, BrightonBoys) and I wouldn't part with him for the world.

He is lovely, can I ask which breeder you got him from.

I know quite a lot of the Siamese breeders from the show world.

I have known breeders spend $70k to improve their lines:wink:

Guest Siamozzer
He is lovely, can I ask which breeder you got him from.

I know quite a lot of the Siamese breeders from the show world.

I have known breeders spend $70k to improve their lines:wink:

Hi Moving2Melbourne. So sorry that I didn't see this yesterday - don't know how I missed it, but sorry. :)

Yes, sure, he's a S*Sandvretens cat (but with quite a few Koosje van Tutte, La Bell and Lang Thai cats in his pedigree - names you're more likely to recognise, I think). He's my first show neuter, although I have been owned by SIAs all my life. :laugh: His breeder wanted him to go as a stud (he really is lovely), but no good homes turned up before we did, so, it was fate. :wink:

I'm desperate to start breeding Siamese and Orientals myself (I've been looking into it - planning, doing genetics research and line-chasing etc. for the last 10 years), but the timing of this Oz thing has really put a spoke in my wheel. A good friend of mine (the breeder mentioned I before, whose new breeding queen came to visit us for a while before she went to the UK - the cat in my avatar) has actually offered me the most gorgeous OSH f kitten, who I've gotten really attached to and am absolutely heart-broken to have to turn down, as my foundation queen, but when we get to Oz things will be up in the air and it'll be a while before I'm settled enough to think about it again.

On one hand, I'm really excited to meet new breeders and see new cats in Oz, and they have such fantastic type on the whole there, but if the cat fancy in Oz is anything like the UK it'll be tough to break in again, and probably be a while before I gain enough trust to be allowed to have a kitten for breeding. It's almost enough to make me want to stay here!:err:

Hi Moving2Melbourne. So sorry that I didn't see this yesterday - don't know how I missed it, but sorry. :)

Yes, sure, he's a S*Sandvretens cat (but with quite a few Koosje van Tutte, La Bell and Lang Thai cats in his pedigree - names you're more likely to recognise, I think). He's my first show neuter, although I have been owned by SIAs all my life. :laugh: His breeder wanted him to go as a stud (he really is lovely), but no good homes turned up before we did, so, it was fate. :wink:

I'm desperate to start breeding Siamese and Orientals myself (I've been looking into it - planning, doing genetics research and line-chasing etc. for the last 10 years), but the timing of this Oz thing has really put a spoke in my wheel. A good friend of mine (the breeder mentioned I before, whose new breeding queen came to visit us for a while before she went to the UK - the cat in my avatar) has actually offered me the most gorgeous OSH f kitten, who I've gotten really attached to and am absolutely heart-broken to have to turn down, as my foundation queen, but when we get to Oz things will be up in the air and it'll be a while before I'm settled enough to think about it again.

On one hand, I'm really excited to meet new breeders and see new cats in Oz, and they have such fantastic type on the whole there, but if the cat fancy in Oz is anything like the UK it'll be tough to break in again, and probably be a while before I gain enough trust to be allowed to have a kitten for breeding. It's almost enough to make me want to stay here!:err:

It sounds like you are doing everything right and if you take your boy out in to the show world when you have settled over here you will soon meet up with some breeders who will trust you. It's when you get people who they have never heard of or seen start asking for a breeder that alarm bells ring. If you do have any problems once you are out here getting set up let me know, I have a few contacts who can help you get on your feet. You could also look at importing a few new lines in to Oz:wink:

Take a look here at the governing bodies we have over here:

Australian Cat Federation (Inc) Home Page

The Governing Council of the Cat Fancy Australia and Victoria - Home

I wish you all the best for your move and also for your own breeding program:wubclub::hug: