Heading back to the UK, but have debt in Aus

Guest marcusev

Guest marcusev

Hi there,

Hope someone could offer some guidance / advice to this matter.

I am heading to the UK after 9yrs here, but have racked up a bit of debt since living in Aus. I am sending a letter to my creditors requesting for some breathing space whilst I move back and resettle and find work, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this or what the uptake or response could likely be.

I have no intention of avoiding paying my debt, as my ex was in the industry and I know that Aus companies can utilise an agency in the UK to chase this, but curious if anyone has any further knowledge, facts or documentation to 'persuade' the creditors to freeze debt for a limited period of time or to negotiate a repayment structure..

Or, as one person suggested to me, an option could be to file for bankruptcy, naturally this causes an issue if I returned to Aus, but would there be any impact in the UK with this method?

Strange question I know, but I want to make sure I cover all bases before making decisions..

Guest chris955

If you try everything you can to make arrangements with your creditors it should be fine, if you make it clear you are not trying to avoid the debt then chances are you should be able to come to an amicable agreement.

Guest siamsusie

• Any person who is an undischarged bankrupt must obtain written permission from their trustee to leave Australia well in advance of the proposed departure giving reasons for departing Australia, dates of departure and return, itinerary, particulars about who will fund travel costs by providing all documentary evidence. eg confirmation by an employer of the need to travel, confirmation of payment of costs by a third party
  • If you leave Australia without your trustee's permission or do not return when you said you would or do not return when your Trustee asks you to, your trustee may lodge an objection to your discharge and your bankruptcy will be extended.
  • Permission is not required once a person is discharged from bankruptcy or the bankruptcy has been annulled.
  • A debtor who has entered a formal arrangement with creditors under either a Part IX debt agreement or a Part X Personal Insolvency Agreement is not restricted from leaving Australia.

http://www.bankruptcyadvice.com.au/BANKRUPTCY.html

1800 738 353 Freecall

(08) 9227 8353 (WA office hours)

The above might be useful for you.. Very best wishes on your future plans Susie x

Archived