Partner Visa

Guest tomandlibby

Guest tomandlibby

Hello all,

my partner and I have decided to move to Australia from the UK. i am Australian and she is British and are thinking of applying for the partner Visa (subclass 309).

we can't seem to find out any information on the timescale of the whole process from application to visa granted. also, how long it will take to receive permanency thereafter.

thank you for any help!

H and welcome to PIO.

If you look on DIAC, it will tell you all you need to know regarding your visa type etc etc.....

Timescale depends on how straight forward your application is and supporting documents also. Once the visa is granted, you will have a 12 month timescale to activate your visa in Australia from the time when you have your medical and police checks are DONE, and not from when the visa is GRANTED. Once you activate the visa, you then have a 4 year period to migrate, so you could come and go until you are ready to make the move.

Hope this helps and good luck with your application! :wink:

Hello all,

my partner and I have decided to move to Australia from the UK. i am Australian and she is British and are thinking of applying for the partner Visa (subclass 309).

we can't seem to find out any information on the timescale of the whole process from application to visa granted. also, how long it will take to receive permanency thereafter.

thank you for any help!

Hi, a straightforward application will take 5-6 months to process through London.

If you have been living together for more that 3 years, or have a child that is two or older together your partner will be granted a subclass 100 Permanent Partner visa.

If you have been living together for less than 3 years (but at least 12 months) your partner will get a subclass 309 Temporary Partner visa. Which after a further two years becomes a permanent visa.

The partner visa booklet is the best source of information :1127.pdf (application/pdf Object)

Guest tomandlibby

thanks for replying so quickly! we have come across something that appears to be a problem, on the check list for documents to include with the application it says:

Evidence that your sponsor is aged 18 years or older and is an Australian citizen,

Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, such as:

• certified copy of birth certificate

• Australian passport or foreign passport containing evidence of permanent

residence

• evidence that your sponsor usually resides in Australia

we can do all of these apart from evidence that your sponsor usually resides in Australia as he has lived in the UK for almost 5 years. What does this mean?

again thanks in advance!

Archived