Relocating on a budget - where did you save?

Guest IlkleyMoorBahtat

Guest Bambulka
Hi my daughter was 14 month the first time she went and we got one of those basenette things for her which was good as it ment we had extra leg room. She liked sitting in it with her toys so she could see over our heads and look at everyone on the plane. She was a bit big to get to sleep in it but as we had extra leg room we made her a bed on the floor and she loved it, slept for a long time. The only problem with having no seats for kids is when the seatbelt sign comes on you end up waking them to put them on your knee to get strapped in. You could hear people moan when we got on the plane with a little one but she was better behaved than most of the adults who'd made the most of the free drink. We did get food for her and a puppet and a story book and they came with a instant picture camera and took photos of her with us and the crew to mark how good she'd been on the flight. They warmed her milk up for me and let me store food in the frige for her, they gave her lots of water and fruit. Very good service.

Good luck with the move, tell your hubbys company to get their hands in their pockets. Expensive lark this moving isn't it. We're gonna do the container thing as my hubby has a recording studio and guitars and all sorts here. Don't think he'd b happy to leave it all. Also I'd like my things around me,

Hi Tricia,

Could I please ask who you've flown with as they sound fab! I have a 2 yrs old and we have just been granted our visa 2 days ago (finally!) so the planning starts now. Can you let me know please?

Thanks

Katarina

Guest Ari3139

Hi All, Well after doing a 4 hour flight to the Canaries last week I have decided to get her her own seat - it was a nigtmare as she would not sit still and talk about lack of room to do anything. I dread to think what 24 hours would be like.

So glad i did it in a way as I think I would have risked taking her on my knee and hopeing for a spare seat on the plane and a sympathetic stewardess that moved us about to give her one.

Deffinatley not worth the risk.

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works and confuse you even more but thought I had best let you know.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All,

We are in negotiations with OH company over relocation to Brisbane. They will only pay 50% of flight and shipping costs. This move wasn't planned and with me at home for the last few years with two little ones our savings have somewhat dwindled.

We are looking to make some savings and just wondered what others have done.

For example our youngest is 1.5yrs and strictly speaking we don't have to buy him a seat on the plane (£500 saved) however would this just make a long flight horrendous? Do they take kids in the hold :twitcy: only joking!

We could cut down the amount we are shipping, currently sole use of 20ft container (£3800 plus AQIS and insurance). Would this go down much or just cost us more when we get there having to replace stuff?

Thoughts anyone pls?

Hi There,

We travelled over a few years ago when my daughter was 23 months we paid for a seat and to be honest im really glad we did the flight would have been very uncomfortable if she hadn't had somewhere to lie down and sleep.

We paid to have 300 cu ft of belongings shipped over, the shipping company collected our stuff from our house in Edinburgh on the 5th of November and it has only just left the UK this week, we however arrived in Australia mid November and moved into our rental property mid December.

Luckily when we arrived we bought a whole 2 bed flat lot of stuff from another PIO'er which was fantastic for us as we haven't had to go out and buy everything again, but there are lots of garage sales out here where you can pick up real bargains and Kmart is really good for kitchen stuff to get you started, I was concerned that it would be replacing all the little things that would cost a fortune but you can go there and do it very cheaply the quality isn't the best but everything I have bought has been perfectly usable. So there are ways of buying good quality things for reasonable prices out here you just have to look around for it.

Cheryl.

Travelled many times to Australia (home) from the UK and generally you'll find a few spare seats and I've often seen cabin crews offer mums with kids on their laps empty seats once the planes up...! so there's always a good chance..But I would take a few treats and lots to occupy them!