Should I wait until my ?son has finished his GCSE

Guest Di 44

I need some advice, my husband comes to Perth in Feb/March and it is our intention that we follow in July. My problem is my son is in year 10 so next year he will be doing his GCSE's he has worked really hard this year and is on for A's and B's do I wait to join my husband unitl he has finished his GCSE's so instead of coming over in 2011 it will be 2012. I really don't know what to do for the best. Has anybody been in this situation who could give me some advice. Thank you

Diane x

You would face living apart for a minimum of sixteen months so that your son could gain qualifications which carry very little weight in Australia. Go as soon as possible and get him into the Australian system which will make it easier for him to slot in with his peer group.

Of course, you might welcome the 16 month break......

Quoll is the ace on these questions.

Mamba

Does he want to go to university? If so, is he happy to go in Australia? If that's the case I'd probably take him sooner rather than later so he can settle and do years 11 and 12 there. That way he'll have Australian qualifications for university entrance. As mamba says, GCSE's really don't mean much in Australia, (A levels do, but that means another 2 year wait!). The big question is really where he wants to be for further education, if that's where he's heading.

I agree, it's so difficult knowing what to do for the best. It's hard when you see your children working hard and achieving to think about uprooting them when there are no guarantees that they'll be happy and successful when you move. I'm in a similar situation and have lived without my husband for a year now - it's not easy, but it is doable as long as you can face that long 'commute' to see each other every now and again!

Good luck

Caramac is spot on. GCSEs mean diddly squat in Australia but if he sees his post school life being here and has no aspirations to go to uni in UK then he would probably be better coming sooner rather than later. However if you have any inkling that you/he might want to return to UK for further education then he would be better doing both GCSE and A levels to keep ALL his options open (not to mention the 3 year residence before uni to avoid international fees rule).

Not an easy choice by any means - perhaps boarding school?? (LOL)

Good luck with your decision

Thank you everyone, this really does help, I think I need vto talk to my son again about what he wants to do. I think it would be much better for us as a family to be together rather than apart.

Thank you

Di x

We came over with a 16 & 17 year old in June 2010, both had completed their GCSEs in UK which were converted and gave them a pass for year 11 over here Ok if they wanted TAFE but they need year 12 for Uni so both are back in school finding the work REALLY easy just biding time to get that all important tick in a box!... I would say get him to complete his education here, this is where his future is..........

Archived