The Definition Of 'Nice'

Guest guest37336

Guest guest37336

Been a lot of talk lately about being 'Nice'. So just what does this mean? Is it being able to understand others view points, is it having the ability to interact with others, whilst these are worthy points I think nice can be one word that allows us to forgive ourselves a whole plethora of other sides of our character.

I class myself as 'nice', BUT. I am not egotistical enough to believe that I can also be rude, self indulgent, arrogant, self centred etc. Far too many people say they are nice in the hope that it will excuse all of their other misgivings. To be nice is great, but if we are not honest enough to realise that at times we can be total and utter knobs we are not only misguided, but kidding ourselves that because we class ourselves as 'nice' we can excuse all our other behaviours.

Ask anyone that knows me and they will say that whilst I can be nice, I can also be an extremely difficult and bloody annoying to live with. To admit we have faults is not a weakness, it is in my opinion a worthy and honourable trait to have. The minute we are honest with ourselves we can then see how others may see us, and this in turn allows a far better uderstanding of human nature.

None of us are perfect, but it does peev me lately that some are excusing what they say because they see 'Themselves' as nice. When in reality the opposite can be the case.

To excuse what we say because we think in the main we nice is to live in cloud cuckoo land. We are not only kidding ourselves, bit more to the point we seem to believe that we can say and do to whoever and all is OK because we are Nice.

Just my thoughts, and you will have to excuse any spelling errors as I am typing this on my iPhone sitting freezing the proverbials off in the services car park and my eyesight and patience are giving up the ghost.

Cheers Tony. :wink:

Guest guest36762

Hi tony

I see myself as essentially 'nice'. But really I think it's a bit overrated. You can be nice but completely aloof to the concerns of others. I have worked with people who are outwardly friendly, easy going, funny etc, all in all, nice. Until something happens which enables you to see them in a different light, ie shallow, self absorbed, callous even. I certainly have this paradox in myself.

Often the people who are not overtly nice end up being the ones with the qualities worth admiring, such as courage, integrity etc and THEY are the nice ones.

Guest guest36762
I would rather be around people who were honest about things than someone who hides behind false niceness.

Ah well, it seems we'll never make it as friends then.....:cry::cry::cry:

Nice is my new neighbour who the other day removed a shower screen and cut down the metal legs of a new baby bath/change table I stupidly bought as it was too big for our bathtub -- and the guy at the video shop later that day who tapped me on the shoulder and handed back the $50 dollars I had dropped out of my wallet without realising. Most people have the potential to be nice I reckon :notworthy:

Guest famousfive

For me,nice people are just too flippin' wishy washy.I mean,a lot of people who proclaim to be nice are often hiding a very different persona underneath and their niceness is just a facade for the outside world.These are the types that wear that false smile you can spot from a hundred paces and who ingratiate themselves with the boss and anyone else of influence.These are often the ones who like to be 'seen' to be doing things,always in the foreground but rarely in the background where the hard graft is taking place.They will be the first up to help with the local raffle draw but would never put themselves out to sell tickets door to door on a wet and windy day.They will be the ones saying such and such really has more than enough food for the party,so no need for you to bring anything dear,then show up with a platter the size of mount everest.They are the ones who tell you your new curtains are beautiful then slate them when gossiping down the shops.This type of niceness I can do without.

I am much more interested in finding out if people are good,rather than nice.I have met many people who would never fall into the 'nice' category,but they are really good people.They may be rough around the edges,blunt at times,off in their own little fantasy world or even aloof but if they are good people then I would be proud to get to know them.

As for on the forum....I am sure that some who come across as nice may not necessarily be good people and some who seem like good people do not always come across as being nice either.Am I one of the nice people?I doubt it but I would hope that I am not fooling myself by thinking I am a good person who wishes no ill will on anyone.

Guest guest30038
Ah well, it seems we'll never make it as friends then.....:cry::cry::cry:

Are you saying that you aren't honest and have false niceness?

kev

"One of the worst things about life is not how nasty the nasty people are.You know that already. It is how nasty the nice people can be"

Anthony Powell,

Guest guest30038

I'm not nice.

Def: pleasant or pleasing or agreeable in nature or appearance;

I'm an ugly bastard that rubs people up the wrong way. Am I bovvered? No I'm not. I know what's in my heart.

I am who I am (and that's all what I am, I'm popeye the sailor man)................sorry...........got carried away for a minute there. :biglaugh:

I'm honest about how I feel and see things. I may see 'em a little differently than some, and I may be wrong in how I see them, but I speak (at the time) as I find.

As FF has said, (my interpretation) often niceness can hide evil intent......def: Pleasing or agrreable in nature: often these people are telling you what you want to hear whilst at the same time telling somebody else what they want to hear............even if it is a derogotary assessment of the person that they have just been nice too. Cynical? No....fact. The world is full of 'em.

Some of the Finest (not nicest) folk that I have had to deal with were far from nice, either to me or to others. They told it how it was, stood up and were counted, and didn'

t pull punches when they told me that I was being a prat. I learned a lot from them.

Being "nice" is just a tool for being popular, but that's not to deny that some very good folk have the knack of being good souls, whilst also presenting themselves as nice.

What I'm trying to say is I judge on deeds. not on "niceness"

kev

"One of the worst things about life is not how nasty the nasty people are.You know that already. It is how nasty the nice people can be"

Anthony Powell,

I think being nice is in your actions and words. Doing things for others, giving people compliments etc. Whether they're being nice because they're genuine or for other reasons is another story though! So really being nice doesn't equalI them being a good person unless you know why they're being nice. Does that make sense? I don't think it has anything to do with being able to understand someone. Someone who isn't nice to me could still understand me/what I'm saying/doing.

I think your level of mistrust of other people can sometimes dictate how nice you appear to others.

People who are wary, shy or assume others might be thinking bad of them tend to accidentally come across as gruff, stand offish, unfriendly or whatever.

And conversely we have all met those sort of people that it would be very hard for anyone to not find nice....those that seem to be naturally very open, friendly, modest and kind.

I think either sort of person can be a good person but the closer you are to type (a) the more you risk letting your own feelings become a self fulfilling prophesy.

Guest sh7t man no way

nice is a concept of the human condition--some people are nice some arnt--its just the way life has treated them--everybody has the ability to be nice,but some do not chose to be because it can be seen as a sign of weakness--im a nice person,and proud to be--there heaps of nice people in life it all depends how you determine life:wubclub:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Is it me or does there seem to be more............ not so nice folk currently on PIO, who want to pick on the nice folk, who want to help others in the journey to Australia.

Is it time for them to move on we all know who they are, its a shame because it brings PIO down to their level and there are thousands looking for help and all they do is snipe at folk.

Guest flakey
Is it me or does there seem to be more............ not so nice folk currently on PIO, who want to pick on the nice folk, who want to help others in the journey to Australia.

Is it time for them to move on we all know who they are, its a shame because it brings PIO down to their level and there are thousands looking for help and all they do is snipe at folk.

Here here :notworthy::wubclub:

Guest flakey

just wondering what the experts think.

If someone doesn't do nice things all the time does that make them bad?

I don't particularly think i'm bad but I don't think i'll be being made a saint any time soon either.

Oh well, who gives a sh7t

hang on doen't bad mean good nowadays?

I've no clue whether I am nice or not. I am caring by nature but is this the same as nice? I guess most decent people would like to think they are good people, but everyone has their moments and fails at this once in a while don't they? I know that I am very far from perfect. I also have times when if people are rude to me or other people around me I quickly loose patience so am probably quite stand offish at times too.

I'm not 'nice' in the mornings that's for sure! :eek:

Guest sh7t man no way

sorry jim--i will change:wubclub: your right mate pio may be in dangour of loseing its way--we nead a vigalanty--are you the man jim:wideeyed:i will be your assistant if you want me:wubclub:--we need a name,like batman,and robin type thing-that will put fear into these dasterdly people

sorry jim--i will change:wubclub: your right mate pio may be in dangour of loseing its way--we nead a vigalanty--are you the man jim:wideeyed:i will be your assistant if you want me:wubclub:--we need a name,like batman,and robin type thing-that will put fear into these dasterdly people

Am now imagining you and Jim dressed as Batman and Robin. :err::biglaugh:

Guest sh7t man no way

Am now imagining you and Jim dressed as Batman and Robin. :err::biglaugh:
do you remember only fools and horses kat,when they dressed up as batman,and robin--well that basically describes me,and jim--hes 6/3,and im 5/8--also im a bit of a dell boy,and jim reminds me so much of rodney--got the picture:wink:we could have tony as trigger:jiggy: