Lake Macquarie East

Guest km75

Hello,

I am new to the forum, so hope it's ok to jump straight in...

My husband and I, and our two children (currently ages four and two), hope to move out to Australia in 2012 or 2013. My husband is Australian, and me and the kids have dual citizenship.

Previously we lived in Freshwater, Sydney (2003-2008) for four years which we loved, but now with two kids in tow we can't afford it, so we're considering a move to Lake Macquarie East, thinking perhaps around Caves Beach or Valentines - we want to be near the water, be it lake or beach. Just wondered if any of you were from around that way, and have any opinions as to the best suburbs and schools in the area.

My husband is a project manager (refurbishment) and I work in Insurance; whilst we know jobs and salaries would be more plentiful in Sydney we just fancy the lifestyle of Newcastle area.

Would appreciate any opinions on the suburbs, area and schools.

Thanks,

Katrina

Guest The Ropey HOFF

sorry i don't know the answer to this, i have replied so that someone might read this and give you an answer, best of luck.

Hi Katrina

We moved to Lake Maquarie from London a couple of months ago and we really like it. We never considered Sydney as we left London to escape the exorbitant rents.

Pretty much, the whole east side of the Lake is a good place to live, we also have 2 children (ages 1 and 3)

Caves beach and Valentine are nice, we are at Warners Bay at the moment which is really nice. Belmont, Eleebana and Speers Point are good places to raise children aswell and right next to the lake.

We are renting now, but when we buy we will look in the Swansea/Blacksmiths area as you are so close to both the Lake and the beach and the prices are the most reasonable on that side of the lake.

All the schools seem fine to us and all of a good standard.

Feel free to send me a message if you need any further information about the area.

Richard

Thanks for your reply Richard, yes seems like a lovely area. We're hoping to put our house on the market (Scottish Borders) this summer and will see what happens, with a bit of luck we'll be there in about a year! The lifestyle is really appealing, and it looks so lovely up there. Our oldest son should start school in Jan 2012, and I've looked at Caves Beach school and the local catholic primary, St Patricks, on the internet and both look good. We have friends near Valentines who have a four and one year old and they love it there, they moved up from Sydney about a year ago. Glad you're enjoying the change from London!

Thanks for your reply, Katrina

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Katrina,

we are in a very similar position to yourselves (Edinburgh). We are looking to move 2012 to Lake Mac and are getting excited! Just wish the $ would drop like a stone and that our flat sells next year! We have a 3 year and a 4 month old and I have been researching the Newie Lake Mac area for a couple of years now. Have you been checking the Newcastle Hearld? It's the wee newspaper that gives you the local news.

Warners at the Bay has a great bottle shop by the looks of it that you can get Scottish beers if you have withdrawls but I digress.

Richard nice to hear that you are enjoying it as your kids are about the same ages as ours and we'd love to move to Warners bay but doubt that we could afford a shed there in the current climate. I saw on News.com.au that Newcastle is one of the property hot spots for 2011.

I will be keeping an eye on this post with great interest.

:biggrin:Happy New Year to all and roll on 2012!

Scozz

x

Hey Scozz,

What made you choose Lake Mac as a destination? Was it the bottle shop at Warners Bay?! Have to admit hadn't researched that! I haven't looked at the Newcastle Herald but will take a look...thanks. I know, we're hoping the dollar will weaken soon and property sales will pick up here, it's really slow here in the Borders at the minute, but we're hoping it will sell within six months or so, we've just got to do a bit of diy before we put it on the market! We still can't make up our mind between the Northern Beaches and Lake Mac - think work will be the decider we lived in the northern beaches (Freshy) for four years and loved it.

Good luck with your move! Kat

Hi Kat,

the reason that I started looking at Newcastle was when I was speaking to a Dr at my work (I am a Nurse) who said that Newie was a great place to bring up kids. I had heard that it was an industrial town so I hadn't been when I was in Oz in 02/03. We lived in Cronulla for 6 months and loved it. My OH is from Sydney so we know what it's like (overpriced). Since then I have done lots of research online and compared crime rates when they are released etc. Looks like a great place to have a life that I can be proud of. Love the look of the beaches. At the end of the day though if it doesn't feel right then it'll have to be somewhere else. It is a small place but it is due to grow as it is relatively cheap and commuting distance to Sydney (almost).

If you come across anything interesting let me know. Unfortunately as I can see on Domain.com I think we'll have to see what we can afford when we get there but we'll be going before our DS starts school so we'll be renting near his school for as long as it takes.

Here's to the Housing Bubble bursting in Oz!

All the best to you guys too and hopefully can hook up for a beer when we get there!

S

x

• 1 month later...
Guest donna12

Hello

We are just waiting for our visa house and maisonette to sell hoping to arrive Nov time, have been to Newcastle and Lake Mac before really liked the area, the info given already by you guys is great have lots of areas to investigate now, i never thought of looking at the Newcastlel Herald, any one know if there are jobs around for Painter & Decorator, Plumber and does tiling and plastering, We have 6 year old twins who we havent even told yet, but life will be so much better for them really sporty boys love the out doors and fishing, My mum and partner live in NSW and so really hoping things work out

Guest Burchos

Hi

If we get a visa we are hoping to move somewhere between Terrigal and Belmont. Have also been looking at Caves Beach and Valentines. The house prices don't look too bad and from what I have researched on the internet and what my sister has told me about it (she has PR and lives in Newcastle) the area is very nice. We would like to be near the beach too.

Penny

Penny

• 2 months later...
Guest stanoggs

Hi There,

We are a family of 4 (2 kids 4 and 7 yrs old) who have moved from Cheshire earlier this year to the Lake Mac area.

We have now set up home in a little place called Nords Wharf on the south east corner of the lake. We remember all to well arriving here not knowing anyone or the area and having that very weird disision of where to live on arriva,l so if we can be of any help to you all just please ask any questions.

Also if anyone would like to meet up at some point it would be great to meet other brits who are liviing the experience we are.

Regards

The Mackie Family