Taz2008

Help needed to decide - WA or QLD? Pros and Cons...

We have recently got a CO after a very very long wait...:notworthy:

We jumped through many hoops to try and keep up with the immigration process over the last two years, but we always seemed to be one step behind. During our process we changed our application from the 175 to 176 visa gaining SS. However, as QLD (which is where we initially wanted to go to) took so long to get back to us we applied for WA (we were honest with them and explained that we had already applied to another state) and finally we received both SS for QLD & WA... However, we thought the decision of which state we would be going to had been taken out of our hands as my hubby's trade was not on the new QLD SMP but was on the WA SMP...

However, our CO has now asked us to decide which state we want to go to! Now, we initially wanted the sunshine state of QLD but after extensive investigations into WA we have warmed to that state too and since neither myself or my hubby has been to Australia we are finding it very difficult to decide which state would be better for our family and way of life.

So, to anyone who can help, anyone who has been or lives in either state would you mind giving me some true life pro's and con's to the state you know.

For example, any info on the following would be a great help:wubclub:;

• Work prospects in general (however hubby is a Plasterer)
  • Weather - how much rainfall do you get compared to sunshine? Is it too humid?
  • Freak weather - do you suffer from floods often, bush fires, droughts etc
  • What are the people like, is one side friendlier than the other?
  • Cost of living? Food, electricity, insurances, TV, Telephone/Internet, Water rates etc... any hidden charges to watch out for?
  • How much are your outgoings? (We will be a family of 5)
  • Do you find one state cheaper than the other?
  • Is Perth too isolated? Is there much nightlife and things to do during the day?
  • Is QLD too built up and over populated?
  • What activities are there for people with young families?
  • What areas in WA or QLD would you avoid and what areas would you say were good up and coming nice areas?

I know there are a lot of questions there, but if you can answer just a few with some pro's and con's it would be a great help to us... I have spent all week trying to find answers and seem to be going round and round in circles...

Looking forward to your comments and really appreciate your help.

Tasha x:hug:

IjH5p1.png

Process started 11/10/08 - VISA GRANTED 29/07/11 ~ Hubby is a Plasterer and me, well I am just bored of waiting!!!

Guest Noodle

Congrats on getting a CO esp. after such a long wait. Sorry I can't help with the question so I am BUMPING for you. Leila x :chatterbox:

The only thing i would say is it SEEMS if anyone on here ever posts about struggling for work it seems to me its queensland their in??????????????????

Perth has a dry heat i think,not humid,my mates all love it their anyway

• Like 1

"The problem with neo conservative capitalism and it's insatiable greed for more wealth and disparity amongst the populace,is that it ended up being the catalyst for the great depression and modern recession"

Me,tonight:wubclub:

congrats to you on getting ss its been such a long time for you all. well done . but now you in a dilemma would have been easier to get 1 first and that would be it eh ?? qld is very humid and been raining alot recently . dont know about wa but i have firend there and she loves it it drier heat. it also isolated but also nearer other countries and home etc . probably more work in wa from what i have gathered to. qld is lovely and wa is meant to be to, good luck x

There is a lot of work going on in WA and around Perth at the moment and looks like it's going to carry on for a while too. There are some massive mining and oil and gas projects going ahead. There is a forecast that thousands of new workers will be needed. They will all need somewhere to live and new developments are happening all over the place.

Our rainfall mainly occurs between June to August, our winter. We haven't had a lot this year, even in winter, and we don't get much at all in the summer months. Sunshine we get loads of, Winter and summer. Summer days tend to be clear blue sky almost every day. Not very humid at all, mostly a dry heat, especially whe easterly's are blowing off the desert. A lot less humid than QLD.

The only freak weather we've had in the 20 years here are bad hailstorm last year, which did quite a bit of damage to cars and property and we had some serious winds once which blew a few fences and trees down and did some damage. Nothing too bad really. Not like the Eastern States have had this year with the floods.

I find the people really friendly. It's generally poms paradise here, especially round the coastal areas so you are going to meet lots of people who have been through the emigration path and have a lot in common. Even our local surf club has a huge number of people from the UK. South Africans also seem to enjoy it here. I've been to Queensland too and found people over there to be just as friendly though.

• Cost of living? Food, electricity, insurances, TV, Telephone/Internet, Water rates etc... any hidden charges to watch out for?

Don't know about hidden charges, I think you will find it a bit more expensive for some things than the UK but your salary should be higher. There are loads of threads on this site comparing the cost of living but I reckon it's just to hard to work out. Once you start earning dollars, if you have a few left over at the next payday you are doing OK.

Too many variables here. Would depend on whether yourent or buy. We have friends with the same size family as you and they rent a big house across from the beach. There is no way they could afford to buy it but it suits their lifestyle as the kids love the beach and surfing and they can just walk there in about 5 mins. You have to match your lifestyle to your earnings, no matter where you live.

I think WA would probably be more expensive overall but the floods over East may change that. I think we are a bit ripped off for eating out in WA compared to the other states. Not massively so though. I think salary's may be higher in WA though.

• Is Perth too isolated? Is there much nightlife and things to do during the day?

We have a 21 year old son and he seems to find heaps to do. Especially weekends. He has a good group of friends and a couple of them have boats. He is over in Bali at the moment and loads of people he knew were there over New Year. If you like sport, biking, (heaps of bike paths, along the coast is a great ride) beach life, swimming, eating out, movies, shopping, there is heaps to do.

On the too isolated question I don't think about it much as we love being in Perth and WA we don't really feel we need holidays.

QLD is a massive State and some parts are busy, some not. The Gold Coast is great for a visit but I wouldn't want to live there. I could quite easily live on the sunshine Coast though. I still like Perth and surrounds better, but QLD is my second favourite state.

Loads of sporting activities available, swimming pools, surf clubs, football (aussie rules and soccer), cricket, whatever sport you like really. Usually much more accessible and cheaper than the equivalent in the UK too. Heaps of places to take the kids, outdoor cinemas in summer, zoo, aquarium, beach, free barbeques at most parks and beaches. Kings Park in the City. Lots to do!

• What areas in WA or QLD would you avoid and what areas would you say were good up and coming

North and South of the City in the coastal areas are expanding with new suburbs being added all the time. A wide variety of housing available in newer areas. Personally I would avoid living too far from the coast as

1. It gets a lot hotter as the sea breeze only gets in land so far.

2. We love the beach and being close to it.

3. If you can possibly live near the coast the property values tend to rise faster if there is a boom and hold there value better if things don't turn out so well. Only my choice though. Some may prefer 10 acres in the hills, or to live near the city.

Good luck

• Like 1

Hi Paul1perth,

Thanks for all the great info youve posted about Perth. We are a family of 5 hoping to move to Perth. We've done a lot of research about perth, but its great to hear from someone who's actually living there. You've just confirmed to me what a great place we have always thought it was......sold it to us 100%

One thing i wasnt prepared for though was the expense of buying a car out there. Looked on several websites the other night, and me and the hubby were shocked at the cost of buying a used car. I just hope we get a good price for our house when we sell it, otherwise i dont see where we are gonna get the money from to buy a car.....may have to be resigned to the push bike!!

Perhaps we werent looking in the best places for prices though. Can you recommed where to look for the best prices for used cars in wa

Thanks a million again for all the useful info.

Guest kmthor

im a draftsman in the construction trade all i can say here is the housing is better off than comercial building at the moment.

Im in Brisbane and its warm to bloody hot in the summer and when you get aclimatised you will feel the cold inthe winter 8 to 12 average at night. Yes its humid if Perth is less humid. rainfall LOL well the last few years theres been plenty but before that hardley any. if you go out west (rural) water will play a big part of your life.

yes to all of the above

cant comment on this but i will say people are more friendly the more rural you go

getting expensive.

this is what i a pay for 2 adults in an average 4 bed 2 bath

electric $450 a quarter

insurance.. this depends what insurance you are on about and how old you are.. but car insurance is miles cheaper.

TV: Fox full service $149 ish a month for there full service

telephone/internet: $100 that gives me 100GB DL/UL ADSL2 i use my mobile for all other calls

WATER: $320 a quarter. only just started getting water bills..its a bit of a bone of contention at the moment. from the people iv spoken to they all get about the same bill dosnt matter how many people seem tho live there.

RATES: just under $300 Quarter

ELECTRIC: ITS GETTING BLOODY EXPENSIVE iv had bills of $650 a quarter but if managed to get it down to $450

Cars depends if you want new. the secondhand market is a protected market so no secondhand jap imports that pushs the prices up.

Childcare could be an issue but i cant comment just what iv seen on the news

cant comment

I have a mate that spend 6 months in perth and 6 months in the states. he loves it

umm you do realise how big queensland is?:wink:

you name it you can do it here,

• What areas in WA or QLD would you avoid and what areas would you say were good up and coming nice areas?

again depends on weather you are going rural or urban

km

OP are you sure they aren't going to put you back in the queue if you opt for Queensland and you are not on their SMP? :err:

Perhaps I am being overly cautious, but why else would they ask ... I mean what is it to CO where you decide to live, don't assume they are asking out of idle curiosity.

Go for WA. :wink:

Guest MarkandVerlie
Hi Paul1perth,

Thanks for all the great info youve posted about Perth. We are a family of 5 hoping to move to Perth. We've done a lot of research about perth, but its great to hear from someone who's actually living there. You've just confirmed to me what a great place we have always thought it was......sold it to us 100%

One thing i wasnt prepared for though was the expense of buying a car out there. Looked on several websites the other night, and me and the hubby were shocked at the cost of buying a used car. I just hope we get a good price for our house when we sell it, otherwise i dont see where we are gonna get the money from to buy a car.....may have to be resigned to the push bike!!

Perhaps we werent looking in the best places for prices though. Can you recommed where to look for the best prices for used cars in wa

Thanks a million again for all the useful info.

My wife manages a backpackers hostel, Theres always cars for sale, on the noticeboards and gumtree, usually much cheaper especially if you find someone who is selling because they have to leave the country. I've seen mitsubishi magna's sell for 200-300 bucks, although 1000-2000 is more common. Backpackers I should point out are not known for looking after stuff especially cars, so I'd suggest getting it checked out by a mechanic first, or if you have a basic knowledge, have a good look round it yourself.

I agree though the price of even a heap of a car here is so expensive

Just to balance up the Qld side of things:

[*]Work prospects in general (however hubby is a Plasterer)

There is a state boom on at the moment, mainly concentrated around the resources industry - coal, iron ore, coal seam gas to LNG. What that means is that there are a lot of knock on effects on other areas of the labour market, such as for plasterers. Consider that the coal companies are building whole towns to site their staff for instance. Having said that, WA is experiencing something similar in terms of a boom.

[*]Weather - how much rainfall do you get compared to sunshine? Is it too humid?

Qld very humid - summer is the opposite of the UK, ie worst season in my opinion. The other 9 months are pretty awesome though, low to no humidity and settled warm weather

[*]Freak weather - do you suffer from floods often, bush fires, droughts etc

Yes, especially just now (flooding)

[*]What are the people like, is one side friendlier than the other?

Qlders are pretty laid back - there is a real mixture of those who have traveled and those who have never left the state!

[*]Cost of living? Food, electricity, insurances, TV, Telephone/Internet, Water rates etc... any hidden charges to watch out for?

You pay for water now, which is fair enough I think - its a scarce resource here. They need to be building more dams but haven't due to green issues!

[*]How much are your outgoings? (We will be a family of 5)

Excluding mortgage, we probably pay less overall fir outgoings (we're a family of 4), than we did in the UK. Food costs and electricity are all going up, but they're going up around the world so no point in making an issue of those

[*]Do you find one state cheaper than the other?

Don't know

[*]Is Perth too isolated? Is there much nightlife and things to do during the day?

I used to live in Melbourne and I'd say that Brisbane is like Mel about 10 years ago - it was a big country town until about 5-10 years ago, but its a lot more sophisticated now!

[*]Is QLD too built up and over populated?

Yes, in the sense that everyone is clinging to the coast!! Which pushes property prices up. However, if you want 200 hectares near Roma, I'm sure it'll be about the same price as 800 sqm in Mooloolaba!

[*]What activities are there for people with young families?

Everything - all water sports, hiking, mountain biking, diving/snorkelling, theme parks (Gold Cst), etc etc etc

[*]What areas in WA or QLD would you avoid and what areas would you say were good up and coming nice areas?

Bris - city fringe such as Zillmere and that kind of area on the north side are up and coming - check out RP Data and get a feel for the property market (Zillmere is one that the senior analyst at RP Data told me to watch out for!!)

It all depends on what you make it and everyone's circumstances are different is what I've learned, but these are some general pointers!

Cheers

Ken

Wow - some fantastic in depth answers from you guys... more than I could ever have hoped for.

So a big huge thanks to all of your inputs... :wubclub:

From what I understand the two states in question are both fantastic, and it has been a real struggle to decide, however, we think that we have now decided on WA!

I think for the type of work my hubby does we have both come to the conclusion that QLD maybe too wet and humid and cause him problems when working outdoors. It seems, from what you guys are saying and our research on the Internet, that WA has a lot more days of sunshine which would mean work would not be rained off etc...

The recent flooding in QLD has also put me off if I am totally honest. It must be awful having to deal with the flooding on the scale it has been this time round.

Again, thanks to all of you for your comments. Its been really helpful.

Best wishes

OP are you sure they aren't going to put you back in the queue if you opt for Queensland and you are not on their SMP? :err:

Perhaps I am being overly cautious, but why else would they ask ... I mean what is it to CO where you decide to live, don't assume they are asking out of idle curiosity.

Go for WA. :wink:

Hi Pumpkin, yes there is always that chance of being put back in the queue, but as I am now pregnant I am going to have to wait again until baby is born before they do anything further for us... So as the baby is due in March, nothing will happen before then now... but as we have decided to go with WA I am sure that an issue wont arise now.

Thanks for you comments.

Tasha x:biggrin:

IjH5p1.png

Process started 11/10/08 - VISA GRANTED 29/07/11 ~ Hubby is a Plasterer and me, well I am just bored of waiting!!!

All the best Tasha,hope it all works out:wink:

"The problem with neo conservative capitalism and it's insatiable greed for more wealth and disparity amongst the populace,is that it ended up being the catalyst for the great depression and modern recession"

Me,tonight:wubclub:

Guest dunkyboy

Hi Tasha

you've had a long wait for a CO !!

I have been in WA for 5 months now and my wife and I love it, I think it is a bit more expensive here than Eastern Oz but not too bad, as for the weather, it is very rare to have humidity and as for rain :biggrin: you will be happy to see it when it comes (big drought issues in WA)

I've never been in QLD but WA gets the thumbs up fro me !!

Hi Tasha

you've had a long wait for a CO !!

I have been in WA for 5 months now and my wife and I love it, I think it is a bit more expensive here than Eastern Oz but not too bad, as for the weather, it is very rare to have humidity and as for rain :biggrin: you will be happy to see it when it comes (big drought issues in WA)

I've never been in QLD but WA gets the thumbs up fro me !!

Hi dunkyboy

Yes its been a long time since we were all on that QLD thread waiting for State Sponsorship!

We always seemed to be weeks away from a CO and then immigration rules would change and we would be back of the queue again... Lets hope this time now that we actually have a CO we manage to get the visa this year!!!

Can't beleive you have been over there for 5 months now! So glad you are enjoying it.

Take Care,

Tasha x

IjH5p1.png

Hi dunkyboy

Yes its been a long time since we were all on that QLD thread waiting for State Sponsorship!

We always seemed to be weeks away from a CO and then immigration rules would change and we would be back of the queue again... Lets hope this time now that we actually have a CO we manage to get the visa this year!!!

Can't beleive you have been over there for 5 months now! So glad you are enjoying it.

Take Care,

Tasha x

Hi Tasha,

I see that you lodged your 175 in March 09. I would think that you should hear sometime soon. We are a family of 5, my husband is a carpenter & joiner. We lodged our 175 in Feb 09 and like you, because of all the constant changes, we decided to apply for ss. We were initially interested in going to qld, but then oh was taken off that list, and so after much deliberation we decided on WA. We got ss in wa in July 2010. After months of hearing nothing, we couldn't believe it when our agent advised us just before xmas that we had been assigned a case officer, and that he had requested us to get meds and police checks done. We had our meds and p checks done on 20 december, and now we are just waiting to hear back. So, with regard to your visa applic, keep positive, im sure it must be your turn to get a case officer v soon. Best of luck to you, am sure you are gonna love wa just like us!

Some great replies to your question here Tasha, I must admit it has opened my eyes, we may look in to the same as what you have done.

Proview

My wife manages a backpackers hostel, Theres always cars for sale, on the noticeboards and gumtree, usually much cheaper especially if you find someone who is selling because they have to leave the country. I've seen mitsubishi magna's sell for 200-300 bucks, although 1000-2000 is more common. Backpackers I should point out are not known for looking after stuff especially cars, so I'd suggest getting it checked out by a mechanic first, or if you have a basic knowledge, have a good look round it yourself.

I agree though the price of even a heap of a car here is so expensive

Hang on mate most cars on gumtree are deathtraps ,

Here at last:jiggy:

SUFC life not a pastime

I limit myself to 2 drinks a day, I`m now 10 years in front make that 15

Guest JK2510

Glad you've chosen WA tash!

Perhaps we could meet up sometime! :)

Hi Tasha,

I see that you lodged your 175 in March 09. I would think that you should hear sometime soon. We are a family of 5, my husband is a carpenter & joiner. We lodged our 175 in Feb 09 and like you, because of all the constant changes, we decided to apply for ss. We were initially interested in going to qld, but then oh was taken off that list, and so after much deliberation we decided on WA. We got ss in wa in July 2010. After months of hearing nothing, we couldn't believe it when our agent advised us just before xmas that we had been assigned a case officer, and that he had requested us to get meds and police checks done. We had our meds and p checks done on 20 december, and now we are just waiting to hear back. So, with regard to your visa applic, keep positive, im sure it must be your turn to get a case officer v soon. Best of luck to you, am sure you are gonna love wa just like us!

Hi,

Thanks for your comments, looks like we are in a very similar situation!!!

We do actually have a CO now, since 30th December... but as I am pregnant and not due until March things have to go on hold for us again! Typical!!!:laugh:

We are nearer this time though than we have ever been before, so am starting to get excited about it all again now!

Let us know when you get your visa - good luck !

Tasha x

IjH5p1.png

Glad you've chosen WA tash!

Perhaps we could meet up sometime! :)

Oh Yes Jodie, it would be great to meet up one day! We could have a huge PIO WA BBQ!!!:laugh:

Have you got any ideas as to what part of WA you will go to?

IjH5p1.png

WA WA WA WA WA WA WA WA WA WA

Do you understand where I am choosing just pure selfish reason's as we will be able to meet at long last and I can have a big cuddle with you baby xxxx

Oh and Case officer whoo hoo don't worry hun with have youre champers for you :wink:

Em x

Sept 07 Pathway D gone 6th Nov 08 TRA Passed 26th Feb 09 Visa lodged 21st Mar 09 SS sent 9th Jul 09 SS approved 25th Feb 10 CO 17th Mar 10 GOT IT May 10 validated april 11 oneway

HI, Im the exact same going round in circles have been to OZ twice last time emmigrated 2003 to perth came back to scotland 2004 for various reason one of them dont think I was in right frame of mind 1st round & get thinking I was missing out back home. Have been granted RRV & the debate has started again do we leave scotland & go back to Perth it is a lovely state but so many questions this time round. My husband would go back tomorrow & my daughter is swaying that way too but I just wish someone would tell me what the right thing to do is. We both have ok jobs here & feel we are giving up alot but im trying to weigh up pro & cons good luck with your decision

HI, Im the exact same going round in circles have been to OZ twice last time emmigrated 2003 to perth came back to scotland 2004 for various reason one of them dont think I was in right frame of mind 1st round & get thinking I was missing out back home. Have been granted RRV & the debate has started again do we leave scotland & go back to Perth it is a lovely state but so many questions this time round. My husband would go back tomorrow & my daughter is swaying that way too but I just wish someone would tell me what the right thing to do is. We both have ok jobs here & feel we are giving up alot but im trying to weigh up pro & cons good luck with your decision

Hi

Sounds like Australia is not done with you just yet!!!

:wub:Drives you mad trying to figure out what will be the best for any future life doesn't it!... "Are we making the right move?" "Are we not?"

Sometimes I just have to stop thinking about it all and just go with the flow as I start to panic about if we are making the right choice for us and our children.

I suppose its the walking into the unknown! But, if we don't give it a go we would always wonder what if!

I am sure you will make the right decision... Good luck with it!

Tasha :wubclub:

IjH5p1.png

Guest Guest47308

If your still looking for advice............... i would say go with your 1st instinct! I have tried to ignore mine in the past and its blown up in my face :eek: (so to speak)

Are you any closer to making a decision Taz2008?

PerkiPie

If your still looking for advice............... i would say go with your 1st instinct! I have tried to ignore mine in the past and its blown up in my face :eek: (so to speak)

Are you any closer to making a decision Taz2008?

PerkiPie

Hi Perkipie

Yes we have made our decision and that is to go with WA.

We are now just waiting for our baby to arrive so that our CO continues processing us.

Fingers crossed we might have a visa in about 2 or 3 months time.

Cheers

Tasha

IjH5p1.png