Help needed to decide - WA or QLD? Pros and Cons...

Taz2008

.... It seems, from what you guys are saying and our research on the Internet, that WA has a lot more days of sunshine which would mean work would not be rained off etc...

The recent flooding in QLD has also put me off if I am totally honest. It must be awful having to deal with the flooding on the scale it has been this time round.

While it is more humid in summer so more difficult for an outside job I just thought I would correct the record for others deciding...Brisbane has less rainy days than Perth. (Source: BOM)

And for those worried about the floods...approx 3% of Brisbane homes near the river were affected.

Good luck in Perth!!!

While it is more humid in summer so more difficult for an outside job I just thought I would correct the record for others deciding...Brisbane has less rainy days than Perth. (Source: BOM)

And for those worried about the floods...approx 3% of Brisbane homes near the river were affected.

Good luck in Perth!!!

Thanks for your comments. It is so hard making these choices when you have never been to or experienced the country!

I think its a game of pot luck :twitcy:. I just hope we have made the right choice as its too late now :laugh:.

Thanks

Tasha

Thanks for your comments. It is so hard making these choices when you have never been to or experienced the country!

I think its a game of pot luck :twitcy:. I just hope we have made the right choice as its too late now :laugh:.

Thanks

Tasha

Definitely a lot of pot luck...it can come down to which part of a city you move to. One area might gel with just the right amount of "life" and activities etc while another may be boring, isolating, too noisy, rough or whatever.

My advice is to spend less time thinking about the house you want and more on the location of the house. Go for a smaller house if it means you get the location you want. I say this as some british immigrants get mesmerised by the huge impressive new build houses on far flung estates but are then disappointed with the neighbours or the area. These new estates can be very isolating and lonely for some. On the other hand some love them.

Perth sounds like a nice place and I hope it all works out for you :wubclub:

Guest The Trainer from Perth

Perth weather is the best in the country, but I am biased and have lived here for 22 years...

Cheers

Karlos

Guest Nando65

• Work prospects in general (however hubby is a Plasterer)

There is a lot of work going on in WA and around Perth at the moment and looks like it's going to carry on for a while too. There are some massive mining and oil and gas projects going ahead. There is a forecast that thousands of new workers will be needed. They will all need somewhere to live and new developments are happening all over the place.

• Weather - how much rainfall do you get compared to sunshine? Is it too humid?

Our rainfall mainly occurs between June to August, our winter. We haven't had a lot this year, even in winter, and we don't get much at all in the summer months. Sunshine we get loads of, Winter and summer. Summer days tend to be clear blue sky almost every day. Not very humid at all, mostly a dry heat, especially whe easterly's are blowing off the desert. A lot less humid than QLD.

• Freak weather - do you suffer from floods often, bush fires, droughts etc

The only freak weather we've had in the 20 years here are bad hailstorm last year, which did quite a bit of damage to cars and property and we had some serious winds once which blew a few fences and trees down and did some damage. Nothing too bad really. Not like the Eastern States have had this year with the floods.

• What are the people like, is one side friendlier than the other?

I find the people really friendly. It's generally poms paradise here, especially round the coastal areas so you are going to meet lots of people who have been through the emigration path and have a lot in common. Even our local surf club has a huge number of people from the UK. South Africans also seem to enjoy it here. I've been to Queensland too and found people over there to be just as friendly though.

• Cost of living? Food, electricity, insurances, TV, Telephone/Internet, Water rates etc... any hidden charges to watch out for?

Don't know about hidden charges, I think you will find it a bit more expensive for some things than the UK but your salary should be higher. There are loads of threads on this site comparing the cost of living but I reckon it's just to hard to work out. Once you start earning dollars, if you have a few left over at the next payday you are doing OK.

• How much are your outgoings? (We will be a family of 5)

Too many variables here. Would depend on whether yourent or buy. We have friends with the same size family as you and they rent a big house across from the beach. There is no way they could afford to buy it but it suits their lifestyle as the kids love the beach and surfing and they can just walk there in about 5 mins. You have to match your lifestyle to your earnings, no matter where you live.

• Do you find one state cheaper than the other?

I think WA would probably be more expensive overall but the floods over East may change that. I think we are a bit ripped off for eating out in WA compared to the other states. Not massively so though. I think salary's may be higher in WA though.

• Is Perth too isolated? Is there much nightlife and things to do during the day?

We have a 21 year old son and he seems to find heaps to do. Especially weekends. He has a good group of friends and a couple of them have boats. He is over in Bali at the moment and loads of people he knew were there over New Year. If you like sport, biking, (heaps of bike paths, along the coast is a great ride) beach life, swimming, eating out, movies, shopping, there is heaps to do.

On the too isolated question I don't think about it much as we love being in Perth and WA we don't really feel we need holidays.

• Is QLD too built up and over populated?

QLD is a massive State and some parts are busy, some not. The Gold Coast is great for a visit but I wouldn't want to live there. I could quite easily live on the sunshine Coast though. I still like Perth and surrounds better, but QLD is my second favourite state.

• What activities are there for people with young families?

Loads of sporting activities available, swimming pools, surf clubs, football (aussie rules and soccer), cricket, whatever sport you like really. Usually much more accessible and cheaper than the equivalent in the UK too. Heaps of places to take the kids, outdoor cinemas in summer, zoo, aquarium, beach, free barbeques at most parks and beaches. Kings Park in the City. Lots to do!

• What areas in WA or QLD would you avoid and what areas would you say were good up and coming

North and South of the City in the coastal areas are expanding with new suburbs being added all the time. A wide variety of housing available in newer areas. Personally I would avoid living too far from the coast as

1. It gets a lot hotter as the sea breeze only gets in land so far.

2. We love the beach and being close to it.

3. If you can possibly live near the coast the property values tend to rise faster if there is a boom and hold there value better if things don't turn out so well. Only my choice though. Some may prefer 10 acres in the hills, or to live near the city.

Good luck

Great post Paul1Perth!!! You said it all my friend.:notworthy:

We have recently got a CO after a very very long wait...:notworthy:

We jumped through many hoops to try and keep up with the immigration process over the last two years, but we always seemed to be one step behind. During our process we changed our application from the 175 to 176 visa gaining SS. However, as QLD (which is where we initially wanted to go to) took so long to get back to us we applied for WA (we were honest with them and explained that we had already applied to another state) and finally we received both SS for QLD & WA... However, we thought the decision of which state we would be going to had been taken out of our hands as my hubby's trade was not on the new QLD SMP but was on the WA SMP...

However, our CO has now asked us to decide which state we want to go to! Now, we initially wanted the sunshine state of QLD but after extensive investigations into WA we have warmed to that state too and since neither myself or my hubby has been to Australia we are finding it very difficult to decide which state would be better for our family and way of life.

So, to anyone who can help, anyone who has been or lives in either state would you mind giving me some true life pro's and con's to the state you know.

For example, any info on the following would be a great help:wubclub:;

• Cost of living? Food, electricity, insurances, TV, Telephone/Internet, Water rates etc... any hidden charges to watch out for?

• Is Perth too isolated? Is there much nightlife and things to do during the day?

• What areas in WA or QLD would you avoid and what areas would you say were good up and coming nice areas?

I know there are a lot of questions there, but if you can answer just a few with some pro's and con's it would be a great help to us... I have spent all week trying to find answers and seem to be going round and round in circles...

Looking forward to your comments and really appreciate your help.

Tasha x:hug:

Just seen your post Taz, congrats on the Case Officer!!!

Good luck with your plans - we fly out on 10 Feb eek!!!!

All the best

Juls x x:wubclub:

YOu are so right your head begins to bust with it all & starts taking over your life, hoping to put house up for sale in next few weeks but the hosuing market not great so will just need to wait & see. I have looked on so many websites for this & that but hey ho time will tell .

Guest simon geoffrey moore
We have recently got a CO after a very very long wait...:notworthy:

We jumped through many hoops to try and keep up with the immigration process over the last two years, but we always seemed to be one step behind. During our process we changed our application from the 175 to 176 visa gaining SS. However, as QLD (which is where we initially wanted to go to) took so long to get back to us we applied for WA (we were honest with them and explained that we had already applied to another state) and finally we received both SS for QLD & WA... However, we thought the decision of which state we would be going to had been taken out of our hands as my hubby's trade was not on the new QLD SMP but was on the WA SMP...

However, our CO has now asked us to decide which state we want to go to! Now, we initially wanted the sunshine state of QLD but after extensive investigations into WA we have warmed to that state too and since neither myself or my hubby has been to Australia we are finding it very difficult to decide which state would be better for our family and way of life.

So, to anyone who can help, anyone who has been or lives in either state would you mind giving me some true life pro's and con's to the state you know.

For example, any info on the following would be a great help:wubclub:;

• What areas in WA or QLD would you avoid and what areas would you say were good up and coming nice areas?

I know there are a lot of questions there, but if you can answer just a few with some pro's and con's it would be a great help to us... I have spent all week trying to find answers and seem to be going round and round in circles...

Looking forward to your comments and really appreciate your help.

Tasha x:hug:

hi i went to oz 4 years ago and found qld better than wa the atmosphere was alot better

HI, we stayed in WA for just over a year in northern suburbs which really has everything for kids & transport good only shortfall just now is it seems to be getting very expensive for housing hence the reason we are now looking at south of river. We spent a month in QLD which was great however keep getting drawn back to WA . We have friends that live in QLD palm cove & love it they have moved from perth after living there for 8 years said it was the best move they are ever made. Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

Guest Shazztastic

I live in Perth but have visited Queensland (Brisbane/ Gold Coast) a few times.

Qld summer weather is just awful although here in Perth it may not always be humid but still unbearably hot at times. We don't really get "weather" here. It's either sunny, dry and hot or sunny, dry and not as hot.

Please realise EVERYTHING is expensive here in Perth.

Not sure what kind of social life you are expecting to have. We have a grown son and still have no real social life. It's near impossible to get a taxi and when you actually do, they charge a bomb.

My husband and my son both work in the construction industry and easily pull in about 70 hours a week at work. This is normal and expected here.

House prices here in Perth are over the top. Rent is astronomical , that is if you can find a rental property. A pint in our local costs $12 in town it can cost up to $15. A glass of red costs between $7 -$9. An average loaf can cost between $3.50 - $6 depending on the type.

Yes, cars and carparts are expensive. Although in our favour here ..there is no M.O.T.....yet!

Travelling, as in flying from Perth to other states is also very expensive. One thing in QLD's favour is that flights between eastern states are so much cheaper plus there is a decent train service.

Perth still does not have Sunday trading. Day light saving was trialled here and personally I loved it but it would seem that those in favour where few and far between. Nothing changes in a hurry here. They fear change!

There are alot of areas here in Perth I would avoid. We live in the hills as there is more space and the air is clearer. Couldn't stand living in suburbia where the roofs are almost touching!

Don't mean to sound so negative, but it's good to be informed I say!

You read that may things but to actually see the prices of bread, beer & things it actually makes you think . Our other family memebers are heading to sydney & most likely down south as they have family in kiama but this is far too long a commute to the city. The Uk is getting expensive as well & your weekly shopping going up & up but if you are earning ok money it dosent seem as bad.. thanks

Archived