ielts paper and pen or computerised?

Boesman

Hi, I am going to do the ielts test for my 175 visa as I need extra 5 points. Was just wondering which is the most efficient way to go for the test? Pen and paper or computerised? Does the computerised way go quicker and is it easy to follow the instructions? Does it work the same way as the preparation material or would the pen and paper option be safer?:wacko:

Hi,

It depends what you're more comfortable with.

But the paper test has a portion which is marked by a human, and there may possibly be mistakes made with the marking. They try very hard for this not to happen, but if you were to ask for a re-mark this is where the mistake may have been made. If you had taken the test on computer, this would less likely to have a mistake in it.

Good luck.

Guest elysium

I would say computer-based version of IELTS can be very convenient (Writing section) to those who use computer everyday / typing, writing, chatting with a keyboard for most of their life. Saves a lot of time and mess - no erasing, and the convenience of cutting and pasting and deleting etc... if that function hasn't been disabled by the administrator. If you are a fast typer you get more time to check your writing and editing after composing an essay :smile: But I'm not sure about the computer-based IELTS requirements and specifics as I have only taken the pen and paper one. Last I heard the computer-based IELTS is only available for the Academic module... not sure if it's available for the General Module yet. Good Luck!

• 6 years later...

If you are taking the IELTS for the purposes of getting a visa through UK immigration, you might be able to take the IELTS on a computer. People applying for United Kingdom Visa and Immigration (UKVI) can take a computer based IELTS… sometimes.

If you are a UKVI candidate who needs to take the Academic IELTS (rather than the general training IELTS), there are computer-based options. However, these options are only available in a select number of countries. UKVI applicants can take IELTS on a computer in the following countries: Bangladesh, Brazil, China, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Kuwait, Malaysia, Nigeria, Pakistan, the Philippines, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Taiwan, Turkey, Vietnam, the UAE and the UK.

This makes the computer-based IELTS a fairly limited offering. The majority of IELTS test-takers aren’t immigrating to the UK, but are instead applying for university study. Moreover, most UKVI candidates don’t take IELTS Academic. Instead, they take the IELTS General Training test, which is not offered on computer.

Ultimately, the computer-based IELTS is limited to medical professionals and a few other classes of skilled immigrants who take IELTS Academic as part of their UK visa requirement. And even then, such individuals can only take the computer-based IELTS in a select handful of countries, most of which are in Asia.