Would love to get a great group of new girlfriends- Melbourne/Geelong or surroundings

Guest jaymi

Hey Uk (& Maybe Aussie!!) Girlies...I've been in Geelong (just outside Melbourne) since May 2010 and i still havent really made friends due to working in a call centre and commuting (so i have long days!) Im 27 years old, female, living with my Aussie Fiance previously from London & Basingstoke in the UK, still awaiting my partner visa!!!. I miss the UK but love it here but feel very isolated and lonely and sometimes in need of a good ol' girly night of laughter,dancing and gossip. If you're feeling the same and are in Melbourne....Lets arrange a group girly something :-)

We can chat on Facebook or other before to make sure we have similar interests or whatever....I've never had to make friends this way before so whatever works hey :-) :biggrin:

Looking forward to getting a Sex and the City style gang together!!

Guest markandmichelle

Hello

I am same as you.... been here since May 2010, we are in Cranbourne.

We are a couple to and it is hard to meet others, that has to be the thing i miss most about the uk, good friends.

Drop me a line and have to sort something out.

Michelle.

Hello

We are a couple to and it is hard to meet others, that has to be the thing i miss most about the uk, good friends.

Michelle.

Thats great Michelle.

They just dont tell you how lonely it can be on all these 'Move to Aus' style shows!!, esp if you wanna have a good old moan about your respective other and they're the only person you have to talk to!!!!! I had a few great friends in the UK but you can sometimes feel like life just goes on without you back there dont you :-( Still heres to making some new great friends :-)

Guest markandmichelle
Thats great Michelle.

They just dont tell you how lonely it can be on all these 'Move to Aus' style shows!!, esp if you wanna have a good old moan about your respective other and they're the only person you have to talk to!!!!! I had a few great friends in the UK but you can sometimes feel like life just goes on without you back there dont you :-( Still heres to making some new great friends :-)

Thats very very true, i think that is one thing that never really gets talked about, and so understand what you are saying, after years of having people close to you, and people always there, you move to the other side of the world and its like you have losted everyone that you had to have the girls days out, the coffee meet ups, and of course the good old moan about anything and everything..........lol, and yes sometimes it does feel like life is going on without you, i think in all of it that has been the hardest thing of all,

Keep your chin up hun, you never know whats around the next corner and heres to new friendships......

Michelle.:jiggy:

Guest Tralaah
Hey Uk (& Maybe Aussie!!) Girlies...I've been in Geelong (just outside Melbourne) since May 2010 and i still havent really made friends due to working in a call centre and commuting (so i have long days!) Im 27 years old, female, living with my Aussie Fiance previously from London & Basingstoke in the UK, still awaiting my partner visa!!!. I miss the UK but love it here but feel very isolated and lonely and sometimes in need of a good ol' girly night of laughter,dancing and gossip. If you're feeling the same and are in Melbourne....Lets arrange a group girly something :-)

We can chat on Facebook or other before to make sure we have similar interests or whatever....I've never had to make friends this way before so whatever works hey :-) :biggrin:

Hi Jaymi, I live in Geelong too, I've been here since August 2010, I came over from Devon. I agree with the isolated feeling, even though I work in Melbourne and surrounded by so many people, the isolation can be so strong, but then on the other hand I do love it here! What part of Geelong are you in?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tralaah
Wow, people in Geelong, would love to meet up sometime, I'm in Belmont.

Hi, I'm planning to go to the meet up that Dom is planning on 25 Feb, are you going? It would be nice to meet up?

Hello

Michelle.

Hi there,

I totally understand that, its a big change when you move out here, I think you can live anywhere if you have a good group of friends to chat to, its just the finding them thats the problem : )

Would totally be up for meeting up in melbourne or surronds.

martina

Guest markandmichelle
Hi there,

I totally understand that, its a big change when you move out here, I think you can live anywhere if you have a good group of friends to chat to, its just the finding them thats the problem : )

Would totally be up for meeting up in melbourne or surronds.

martina

Hi Martina :biggrin:

I so know what you mean it is hard i think it has been the hardest part of being here, but there are some great people about its just getting to meet them.......

Which part are you at? have to sort something out and sort out a meet up if you still fancy it?

Hope you had a good weekend?

Take care and talk soon.

Michelle.

Guest marnieg

Hiya, I've never replied to a post and am new to this forum so here goes. I just came across your post and its made my day :laugh: I'm so excited.

Me, hubby and kids are moving to Geelong in August this year. I'm very concerned about being isolated and thought not many UK people looked at Geelong to settle. Then I read your post. Whats really spooky is my close friends (who I spent the last 3 years with at uni) call ourselves the Sex and the City girls!! I'm 34 and just qualified as a midwife so will also be working loads as well as sorting the kids out, but can always spare a night out with some new friends. Its a really good idea to chat on Facebook to get to know eachother. Its also really reassuring that you've had so many replies. Cant wait to get out to Geelong.

Marnie

Guest Tralaah
Hiya, I've never replied to a post and am new to this forum so here goes. I just came across your post and its made my day :laugh: I'm so excited.

Me, hubby and kids are moving to Geelong in August this year. I'm very concerned about being isolated and thought not many UK people looked at Geelong to settle. Then I read your post. Whats really spooky is my close friends (who I spent the last 3 years with at uni) call ourselves the Sex and the City girls!! I'm 34 and just qualified as a midwife so will also be working loads as well as sorting the kids out, but can always spare a night out with some new friends. Its a really good idea to chat on Facebook to get to know eachother. Its also really reassuring that you've had so many replies. Cant wait to get out to Geelong.

Marnie

Hi Marnie

I was initially unsure about replying to posts, but I'm so glad I did! I had been reading them and wishing I could pluck up the courage and, having been here for a few months and feeling a little lonely, I thought I had nothing to lose, and I didn't! Jaymi and I have been texting/emailing each other and trying to spot each other on the train, and finally yesterday we met up which was great! Jaymi is now moving to Werribee but that's only 20 minutes on the train, but we are planning to meet up more for shopping trips etc (especially as Zara is opening in Melbourne in April - we are sooo excited about that!) once my partner has gone overseas at the end of February. I love Geelong, a few years ago I lived in the Eastern suburbs on a working holiday visa, but I prefer it on the western side! I'm not on Facebook, trying to resist it(!), but if you want to PM me any time, do. How excited you must feel about your new life!

Angela

• 4 weeks later...

Good for you Jaymi for putting up this post,

This is the 1st step to making some friends in Oz,

Outside of work etc,

just be brave and type a few words, it can't hurt,

You've had over 500 views but only a handfull of replys.

You could be living around the corner from your new best friend so take the plunge and type:biggrin:

i'm sure lots of people are trying to make new friends but its not always easy at the best of times,

I'm still not in Oz but when i get there i will be putting on a similar thread and hope to meet people in the same boat and people who have been there done that to steer us in the right direction!

Good friends are hard to get but u know right away i think in about 20 seconds if you CLICK:chatterbox:

Hello all :)

Saw the title of this thread & it sounds like it's from my head! I agree that they don't say just how lonely life can be when you make the big move down under. I've never had to make friends in this type of way before, so wasn't sure if it was silly or even a bit strange, but it seems that there are others in the same position as myself - which is a good thing!!

I'm living in Geelong also (Herne Hill) & would be up for drinks, chats, lunch, etc!!! :) xx