RPL help...Hardware Fundamentals - how much to write?

Guest JLT

We've just started the painstaking process of completing the RPL for Business Analyst. The first section my hubby has been asked to complete is the Core - Hardware fundamentals. He is an Analyst and doesn't have a computer science degree but 10+ yrs of work experience. We're not sure what information they are looking for. Does anyone know what kind of stuff to put down? It's a bit of a minefield and impossible to know if he's barking up the wrong tree. Any help would be just so much appreciated. We need to get this right first time.

Thank you

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I'm in the same situation as your OH. Never got a degree as I already had the job!

Under the new rules coming in, isn't RPL being done away with? In which case, are you able to get the RPL application in and done before the change, and if so will the app then be processed or stopped after the change? I ask because I'm considering the RPL route myself before they change it and you neeed a degree.

Also, if the RPL is successful, does that mean you then get the points as if you had degree? Otherwise I would fall short of 120, but meet state sponsor level.

Good luck!

Guest ssrini
Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I'm in the same situation as your OH. Never got a degree as I already had the job!

Under the new rules coming in, isn't RPL being done away with? In which case, are you able to get the RPL application in and done before the change, and if so will the app then be processed or stopped after the change? I ask because I'm considering the RPL route myself before they change it and you neeed a degree.

Also, if the RPL is successful, does that mean you then get the points as if you had degree? Otherwise I would fall short of 120, but meet state sponsor level.

Good luck!

I would like to know from where is the fact stated that RPL route is over.I am unable to find it anywhere from any official statement of DIAC or ACS.

I want to know if your degree is not in your nominated occupation then whether you get points for your degree?

Not over for everyone, see the sticky in this forum regards the new points system, posted by George.

As for the latter question, I don't know. It doesent say it has to be relevant to the chosen SOL application, just says a degree doesent it? But then on the ACS side you would need to have 6 years work exp as well as the unrelated degree in order to meet ACS requirements. At least, that's how I see it - I may well be wrong, I'm still getting my head around all this!

Guest ssrini
Not over for everyone, see the sticky in this forum regards the new points system, posted by George.

As for the latter question, I don't know. It doesent say it has to be relevant to the chosen SOL application, just says a degree doesent it? But then on the ACS side you would need to have 6 years work exp as well as the unrelated degree in order to meet ACS requirements. At least, that's how I see it - I may well be wrong, I'm still getting my head around all this!

Other than George's post, nowhere else it has come out that RPL route is parting it's ways. Even in George's post it looked to me to be a conclusion out of the new point system but nothing in concrete though I may be wrong.

I have 10 years of experience with unrelated degree and would still be interested whether degree points will be awarded to the person having qualification from other than nominated occupation.

Guest Mongobear
We've just started the painstaking process of completing the RPL for Business Analyst. The first section my hubby has been asked to complete is the Core - Hardware fundamentals. He is an Analyst and doesn't have a computer science degree but 10+ yrs of work experience. We're not sure what information they are looking for. Does anyone know what kind of stuff to put down? It's a bit of a minefield and impossible to know if he's barking up the wrong tree. Any help would be just so much appreciated. We need to get this right first time.

Thank you

Hi,

please have a look at ACS' key areas of knowledge

http://www.acs.org.au/assessment/docs/keyareasofknowledgerev4_2.pdf

On Page 3 they give some details about what they would like to read in each sections. You don't have to address each of the listed points but just the ones your hubby knows about.

Good look

Uli

Wish i could help more JLT, ive never even seen the form or read the guidance for it. I will have to fill it in myself at some point i expect, but its looking like that wont be for another year at the earliest. Im now looking at 5 years to get to Oz, by which time ill be 37! eep! cutting it close :chatterbox:

there was a post on here recently by someone regards the ACS assesment, in the same / similar IT field. Perhaps contact that member and swap tips?

And I thought i was the oldest member to still be on home soil! We're planning to go in about 18 months, visa permitting, and then it will have taken us about 4 years in total. I've lost count now of the time we've spent on this. Sure it will all have been worth it.

Im only 33! so with 4 years id be 37.

ouch, when i think of it that way.. in 4 years im almost 40! oh dear.

In saying its going to take me that long, im trying to be realistic, im actually aiming at about 18 - 24 months, but on hearing some poeple taking that long just to get a visa granted... its a scary prospect, most of those seem to be SS visas though. I then read up on people doing it in as little as 3 or 4 months! must be nice...

Guest Mongobear

Hey JLT,

send me a PM. I've done the PIM3 RPL already and might have some info for you. My RPL is with the ACS so I don't know if it will be successful, however, I already received a successful assessment via PIM2 RPL back in 2009 and used pretty much the same wording now.

So just yell if you're interested

Uli

Mongobear, id be interested myself if you would be willing to share?

while i dont see me having to do it for a year or so it is still something i am worrying about. Also, like JLT im worrying weather its even worth doing once the new points system comes into place.

• 4 months later...
Guest sachinparth23

Hi Mongobear

facing a tough time to get the sample RPL. Pl help if you have gon through it and willing to share.

you can send the same at sachinavi underscore two thousand at yahoo dot com

thanks in advance.

Rgds

s

Guest Mongobear
Hi Mongobear

facing a tough time to get the sample RPL. Pl help if you have gon through it and willing to share.

you can send the same at sachinavi underscore two thousand at yahoo dot com

thanks in advance.

Rgds

s

Hi,

where are you struggeling at?

Cheers

Uli

Guest sachinparth23

Hi Mongobear

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I am currently in india and my brother-in-law has got Australian PR.

I have 10+ years experience in the feild of networking and willing to migrate to Australia and in processof preparing report for ACS assessment but could not find the sampel report any where.

Rgds

Sachin

Guest Mongobear
Hi Mongobear

Kindly revert

Hi,

did you check this doc already?

http://www.acs.org.au/assessment/docs/keyareasofknowledgerev4_2.pdf

It contains detailed instructions on what to write for each section. You don't have to address every single point but rather only the ones you think you have experience in. Furthermore you might want to have a look on RPLhelp.com. The examples there are outdated but they give you a good overview how to write the RPL.

Sorry, but I cannot give you my own RPL since I know the ACS is checking for duplicate passages and I don't want to get in trouble.

Cheerio

Uli

Archived