Relocating to WA from QLD

Guest AussiePool

Guest AussiePool

Hi folks,

We are looking at relocating from Queensland to WA this year sometime and I have a few questions.....(Many of which, I know, will have been answered before!).

We've spent 12 years now in Queensland in various locations (Brisbane, Townsville, Hervey Bay and currently the Sunshine Coast) and did spend one year in Adelaide but hated the cold. This is my first question;

1) What's the weather REALLY like in Perth? My wife and I like the heat but more especially, we like warm evenings which we didn't get in Adelaide. As soon as the sun set in Adelaide, it went cold. What's Perth like for this? I know there is less humidity in WA but does this SIGNIFICANTLY affect the night time temps?

2) We also HATE the rain!

3) Which suburbs are desirable on our budget of $500K? I've been looking north of Perth in places like; Wanneroo, Clarkson, Butler and even as far as Yanchep (Don't mind the travel). Any advice? (just me and my wife, late 40's)

4) What are the areas to avoid? i.e. crime rates, bogons etc!

5) What is a WA winter like? As alluded to before, my wife and I (especially my wife!) HATE the cold and panic when it gets to 20 degrees!

6) I have been a manager in the sales industry (construction) for some time now, what are the job prospects like? (My wife is an employment consultant)

7) Any other advice for two acclimatised Poms would be most grateful

Cheers!

Hi folks,

We are looking at relocating from Queensland to WA this year sometime and I have a few questions.....(Many of which, I know, will have been answered before!).

We've spent 12 years now in Queensland in various locations (Brisbane, Townsville, Hervey Bay and currently the Sunshine Coast) and did spend one year in Adelaide but hated the cold. This is my first question;

1) What's the weather REALLY like in Perth? My wife and I like the heat but more especially, we like warm evenings which we didn't get in Adelaide. As soon as the sun set in Adelaide, it went cold. What's Perth like for this? I know there is less humidity in WA but does this SIGNIFICANTLY affect the night time temps?

its been getting quite humid here the last few years it was 70% humidity yesterday i believe ,wouldn't even bother installing evaporation air con now , waste of time

i live near the coast a some times a cool breeze comes in which i love its not cold but comfortable breeze , my father lives in land and in the evening you could still fry an egg on the bricks .

2) We also HATE the rain!

the rain tends to be seasonal here occasionally it rains in summer which tends to cool things down or make them really steamy.

most of the winter weather is between july and aug as a rule with sept having lovely days with some rain

3) Which suburbs are desirable on our budget of $500K? I've been looking north of Perth in places like; Wanneroo, Clarkson, Butler and even as far as Yanchep (Don't mind the travel). Any advice? (just me and my wife, late 40's)

it depends on where you work to where it would be better to live , all the above are fine although i personally wouldnt want to drive form yanchep to the city even if you got the train you would need to drive to currembine station [ the nearest] to get to the city and the traffic on marmion is bad .

you get more house for your dollar down south of the river etc i was in mandurah for new year and looked at the realestate paper and found it quite cheap compared to north of the river

4) What are the areas to avoid? i.e. crime rates, bogons etc!

not getting into that , as you can have people jump down your throat with an opinion on this matter !!lol

5) What is a WA winter like? As alluded to before, my wife and I (especially my wife!) HATE the cold and panic when it gets to 20 degrees!

in winter at night it can get as low as 4 you just rug up but winter is not a long season here generally although it was cold this winter gone

6) I have been a manager in the sales industry (construction) for some time now, what are the job prospects like? (My wife is an employment consultant)

cant help you here you need to check on seek , hubby is in construction hvac he thinks things are going to be hard this year

7) Any other advice for two acclimatised Poms would be most gra

Cheers!

apparently its saying my message is to short lol must be because ive typed it inside your message maybe this line will be enough for them lol

Honestly, if you're looking for weather that has minimum daytime temps of 20 degrees Celsius in wintertime, you'd be better looking at places from Geraldton northwards. Perth is reasonably dry but this contributes to the cold winters - in the city areas we regularly get minima of around 3 or 4 degrees, sometimes lower, with maximums of 15 and 16 degrees. You're not going to get really balmy weather unless you're a fair bit north.

The other thing to keep in mind is that while a lot of Perth houses are double brick (so well insulated that way), by far the majority of them don't have double glazing or central heating.

Guest AussiePool

Thanks for your replies folks, but now I'm even more confused! :err:If the drive from Yanchep into Perth wouldn't be recommended (about 51km) why would I look to a place like Mandurah to live when it's 75km from Perth? I understand that Mandurah has more affordable housing, but surely it would take longer to get to Perth?

I looked at Geraldton, but only having a population of 30,000, then opportunities would be limited, wouldn't they?

What are the night-time summer temps like? Can you still eat outdoors without feeling cold? (We couldn't in Adelaide). Any more advice on climate or suburbs would be GREATLY appreciated!

:jiggy:

Guest AussiePool

BTW folks, some friends of ours live in Armadale and another lives in Seville Grove. What are these suburbs like as they are obviously nearer the city than the ones I have already mentioned!

Thanks for your replies folks, but now I'm even more confused! :err:If the drive from Yanchep into Perth wouldn't be recommended (about 51km) why would I look to a place like Mandurah to live when it's 75km from Perth? I understand that Mandurah has more affordable housing, but surely it would take longer to get to Perth?

I looked at Geraldton, but only having a population of 30,000, then opportunities would be limited, wouldn't they?

What are the night-time summer temps like? Can you still eat outdoors without feeling cold? (We couldn't in Adelaide). Any more advice on climate or suburbs would be GREATLY appreciated!

:jiggy:

i personally wouldnt like the drive from yanchep to perth , some do it , i wouldnt like the drive from mandurah to perth either although there are a few alterantive routes you can go so if one is congested you can take the other , also the trains run from mandurah they dont run from from yanchep and wont for some years

i dont know armadale all that well with the new estates, i know the old armadale , there are some lovely places around there and not so lovely , same as kelmscott some areas have beautiful views, other parts not so nice .

as far as mandurah goes if you were working in freo it wouldnt be to bad just as if you lived in yanchep and worke3d in joondalup or wangara it wouldnt be to bad ,

we live in oceanreef hubby works in belmont on a clear run [ like yesterday as a lot havnt gone back to work yet] he can do it in 15/20 mins.

on a congested rd and there are a few alternative routes but they are all busy, it can take him any where fron 50minutes to and hour and twenty mins

makes your day much longer .

I work in Armadale - some lovely areas and some not so nice .. however, lots of new suburbs/estates in surrounding areas of Armadale e.g. Harrisdale, Byford is expanding, Southern River all with affordable housing. Armadale has a great shopping centre

I live in Leeming which is about 20 mins from Freo and 15 mins from the City - good public transport. Canningvale is also a popular location

At the moment - we were still sat outside past 10pm at the weekend as it was still warm, winters are colder and we have sat out with a heater on. It does get cold in winter though particularly at night time, but day time temps can be pleasant.

Guest AussiePool

Thanks for all your replies folks. I guess we'll have to do a recce soon and get a feel for the place (probably in winter when we can judge HOW cold it becomes!). Will look up all the areas mentioned on realestate.com and have a look. Hope to see you in WA soon!

Guest AussiePool

What would be really useful would be for anyone who has lived in both Adelaide and Perth to reply so I can compare the two (i.e. which is colder!). Also, I've been advised on suburbs such as; Butler, Quinns Rocks, Ridgewood, Clarkson and Mindarie as potential 'decent' suburbs. Any thoughts?

They are all decent suburbs, fairly new land releases and close to the ocean. If you can afford it the closer ones to the city like Ocean Reef, Iluka, Mullaloo, Hillary's, Sorrento are nicer as they are more established. Could be a bit more expensive though.

It would be easier to get from those suburbs into the City as there are good bus routes and train services, just in case you need to get somewhere without the car.

It can be very breezy in the afternoon close to the ocean although this is usually good as it cools things down. The breeze tends to drop off as the sun goes down and the evenings are pleasant to sit outside. A lot of people have large outdoor entertaining areas where they can use cafe blinds if it gets too windy or cooler. Depends on which way the backyard faces too. Ours faces the ocean and we get a lot of breeze in summer. Across the road our neighbours can sit out the back out of the breeze as the house protects them.

The sea is a bit cooler than Queensland but not too cold. Great for swimming usually. We don't get the bluebottle stingers but smaller ones which give you a sort of nettle sting but soon wear off. Not there all the time though.

I have always lived near the Ocean and couldn't imagine living too far away from it. Go inland not very far where the sea breeze doesn't reach and it can be stifling. I took my eldest to a party in Waneroo not long ago. It was about 35 degrees where we live with a bit of a cooling breeze. We got to the party and it was 45 degrees. My son rang me to fetch him back about 9:00 o'clock as it was too hot. They had spent most of the time in the pool but there were so many people in that even that didn't feel cool after a while.

I would recommend being as close to the coast as you can afford.