Will my Skill Set be in demand

Guest livethedreams

Guest livethedreams

Hello and happy new year to all,

I'm just trying to find out some info regarding my skill set. I am a City & Guilds qualified bathroom fitter with a basic city and guilds plumbing qualification. I have been doing this job working for myself for 6 years now, and although not qualified, can wall and floor tile to an excellent standard and plaster. I trying to find out if there would be a demand for this skill set in Oz. We were hoping to move to Perth if there was an opportunity. If anyone could point me in the right direction or has answer my question i would be very greatful.

Thanks in advance

:biggrin:

Hi there, yep as a general plumber you would have no probs getting work, but if you are going try for your visa as a general plumber you may have some trouble, as a general plumber going through Vetassess you have to have Gas knowledge and experience, bathroom plumbing is only a small part of the criteria that the Vetassess process wants..

My advice is that if you a good wall and floor tiler then you are on the WA SMP and you should go down the TRA route in that profession, i went down the Vetassess route and have finally applied for WA SMP last week..

Good luck.. Nick The Plumber:jimlad:

Guest livethedreams

Cheers Nick,

Never done any Gas Work just wet plumbing. I haven't got any qualification in tiling just 6 Years experience, would this suffice?

Thanks again for your reply

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am also a bathroom fitter (my own company) and is also doing everything like you. To pass the skills assesment with TRA or VETASSES you MUST get a qualification now and they want the AQF one these days. The plumbing one is a lot more complicated as is stated above and your quickest option is to go get qualified as a wall and floor tiler. Contact Silver Trowel. I had my experience only. They 'll send you a list of what evidence you will need and they might come to the UK to do your practical assessment.

We also want to go to WA, but their criteria states you need 7 years work experience and I have less, so now we are going for SA or the 175 visa.

Any body knows the trades job market for SA? :wink: