PO Box - mail redirection from UK?

Guest sunnygirl

Guest sunnygirl

Hi all and happy new year,

NOt sure if this is the correct forum for this question, but hoping someone can point me in the right direction if not. We are due to head out to oz in just under 8 weeks and we are now busy trying to sort out all our personal affairs in the UK, with regards to mail we would like to arrange a redirection of UK mail to Australia but we are not sure if we can obtain a PO box in australia from the UK as we don't have an address to redirect to as of yet. Has anyone done this, is it easy to do?

Thanks any assistance would be appreciated

Alison

We are in the same boat, but have just over three weeks to go now and gosh there is so much to do and we are not sure we are going to get it all done. So we wish you and your family all the best and hope that you get it all done. We are at the stage now where we have to prioritise all the things we have left to do and only do the top ones, all the rest will have to wait.

We are in the situation where we do not have to do this with our post but have found this on the net for you to have a look at. Hope that it helps:

Emigrating to Australia - What you need to do before leaving the UK

I'm not sure about the PO box, we had an address so was able to redirect. If you know someone here you could ask if can be re-directed to them - or alternativley to a family member in the UK who can sort out the junk for you and just send you the important stuff

Guest The Pom Queen

A PO Box is fairly easy to do but you'll need to know what area you're moving to as there's no point in having a PO Box in Belgrave (East of Melbourne in the Dandenongs) if you're living in Point Cook (West of Melbourne at the Coast) ... and their information says you have to open it in person with id.

You can read about it before you come: Australia Post - Post office boxes & private bags - I think mine cost the $84.50, I'm not sure what the more inflated rates provide.

Can the post office in the UK hold your mail (http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content3?mediaId=2300003&catId=600010) until you have an address (POBox or other) over here to have mail redirected to for £110: http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1;jsessionid=YD1EWJOE2MTNYFB2IGVUQ3QUHRA0UQ2K?mediaId=50900695&catId=600008? I'd have a word with your local post office and ask if that's possible.

It might be easier for you to organise a close friend or family member to do the collection and redirection but may put a lot of stress on them.

Hope this helps and good luck with your move.

Cal

Guest The Pom Queen
A PO Box is fairly easy to do but you'll need to know what area you're moving to as there's no point in having a PO Box in Belgrave (East of Melbourne in the Dandenongs) if you're living in Point Cook (West of Melbourne at the Coast) ... and their information says you have to open it in person with id.

You can read about it before you come: Australia Post - Post office boxes & private bags - I think mine cost the $84.50, I'm not sure what the more inflated rates provide.

Can the post office in the UK hold your mail (http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content3?mediaId=2300003&catId=600010) until you have an address (POBox or other) over here to have mail redirected to for £110: http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1;jsessionid=YD1EWJOE2MTNYFB2IGVUQ3QUHRA0UQ2K?mediaId=50900695&catId=600008? I'd have a word with your local post office and ask if that's possible.

It might be easier for you to organise a close friend or family member to do the collection and redirection but may put a lot of stress on them.

Hope this helps and good luck with your move.

Cal

Happy New Year Cal:wubclub:

We must catch up soon.

I am not sure if the PO Box regs have changed but it wasn't possible for anyone from overseas to get an AU PO Box.

Hi and Happy New Year to you too, Hope you're feeling well? A catch up sounds great, I'll look forward to seeing you.

I was reading a form from about 4 months ago which did say it has to be presented with a form of photo id. I couldn't see that much had changed on the site so yes, Sunnygirl, would have to do it when she arrives but the option for holding mail and then redirecting sounds feasible ... just expensive.

Cal

Guest sunnygirl

Hey, thanks for your reply and the link, 3 weeks how exciting/stressful I'm already in minor panic mode with just under 8 weeks to go & can't imagine how I will be feeling, coping in another 5 weeks.

Hope the move goes well do you know where your planning on living in Sydney? Do you already have friends/ family in Australia?

Alison

Guest sunnygirl