How Much harder is it to find a rental property in Canberra with a dog?

BryceandClaire

We are going to be moving to Canberra in August 2011 and was wondering how much does owning a dog reduce your chances of finding a rental property?

We have rented before in both Belgium and UK with a dog and have always left a larger bond as we know how well we look after our rental properties but this is hard for new landlords to accept at times. We also have references to this effect.

We have a small cocker spaniel dog but in the back of my mind i am concerned how difficult it is to find rental properties at the best of times in Canberra and whether having a dog is going to make this even more difficult.

We also have 2 boys aged 6 and 5 by time of travel. Still not sure on areas to live as we do not know where my Wife is going to be working yet. We would like a fairly new property hopefully in an area with nice primary school and plenty of younger children.

I work in UK Oil & Gas sector so until we are all settled i am going to commute to and from to UK in short term as i work a 2 weeks on 3 weeks off rota, i know it will be difficult but in the short term it allows us to still be financially OK whilst my Wife finds work and schools for the children etc.

Planning on having 8 weeks off work to all travel over together and get settled in before returning to work unless i find something in Australian Oil & Gas Sector in meantime.

Any advice would be extremly helpful.

Renting in Canberra is hard at the best of times but with a pet (especially if you fancy a new build house) is going to be very difficult. You are coming at one of the better times of year however - it is nigh on impossible at this time of year - but you wont get anything before you arrive, so it would be a good idea to book a holiday rental for 3 or 4 weeks to start off.

The newest area is Gungahlin (large houses, small blocks) and the schools are OK but Canberra is very much a 2 income town so whilst there are activities for little kids, you really have to go out and look for them rather than expecting there to be a load of little kids in the street to play with - many get enrolled in child care from 6 weeks of age as mum needs to go back to work. This isnt the sort of place where you see a lot of kids playing in the street.

Real estate properties & homes for sale, rent and share is the best place to look for rentals - and there is an advanced search function which allows you to put in things like "pet friendly"

Thanks for the information, it all helps.

Do you think it would be possible for me to fly out a month before we are due to come out as a family and organise a rental property. We are considering coming approx Sept 15th 2011 but i was thinking of coming over in August to sort out a rental property on my own then return to UK and all come out together in September.

Would 2 weeks leave me enough time to sort everything out? Do you think i should try and contact some rental agents to arrange inspections etc in advance.

We would be prepared to pay for rent for a month or so even though it will be empty until we all arrive in September.

If you are the main visa holder then you can arrive before the rest of your family. I think two weeks could be pushing it but that rather depends on your budget and your expectations of a home. However some folk have managed to do it in that time, others have taken about 6 - 8 weeks, very much luck of the draw really. If you come prepared with good references and a preparedness to pay a significant amount up front then you will probably be in with a good chance.

• 2 months later...
Guest michael.rankin12@bt

my wife and i are coming to canberra in june 2011. going to brissie first to stay with friends then off to ACT 3 wks later. would we be better off staying in brissie then fly down to ACT to look for rental. what references do landlords normally require? we have owned our own home but sold to my in-laws in july 2010 and we have been staying in the house with them since so in effect we wont have much in the way of references but we will have the means to pay our rent and on time. bank account already sorted in ACT. we are both tidy clean people and would make great tenants. what do you suggest?

my wife and i are coming to canberra in june 2011. going to brissie first to stay with friends then off to ACT 3 wks later. would we be better off staying in brissie then fly down to ACT to look for rental. what references do landlords normally require? we have owned our own home but sold to my in-laws in july 2010 and we have been staying in the house with them since so in effect we wont have much in the way of references but we will have the means to pay our rent and on time. bank account already sorted in ACT. we are both tidy clean people and would make great tenants. what do you suggest?

Bring something from your last mortgage provider to say that you made payments on time. Bring a character reference from an old employer and, if possible, from your new employer in ACT to say that you have a job with them etc.