Employer sponsership

Guest nic01

Hello Fellow Poms

I'm new to this site, I hope someone can give me some advice as I am clueless. Me and my boyfriend have been in Perth for 8 months on WHV. This expires end of April. My job in retail Management have said they will sponser me, I believe this is on some list??? that accepts this occupation? The problem is I dont think they have sponsered anyone before so they have limited knowledge as do I. At the end of Jan I will have worked for the company 6 months and I know on my current visa you can only work for the same company 6 months, however, if we are in the process of applying for sponsership will this be okay? Also, please could someone tell me the costs involved? I have offered to pay for it from my salary if it means I can stay and do the job I enjoy. Is it just a case of applying for the visa or is it more complicated than that? what obligations do my employer have? Will my partner be able to stay on my visa and work?

Thanks in advance for any advice

There are different types of employer sponsorship but I would assume this would be sponsorship for a temporary business visa known as a 457. Everything you need to know is here

Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)

The employer has to be approved before they can sponsor you, after that all you really need to do is apply for the visa and wait! There are steps to go through such as employer references, police checks, medicals etc which are part of the visa application process.Not so long for a 457, ours took a month though DIAC say 3 months at the moment. Whether you can continue to work for the same employer while you wait I don't know.

Your partner can be included in the visa so long as the relationship meets certain criteria.

If time is of the essence and both you and your sponsor are 'clueless' then a migration agent may be a good idea although this is costly.

I really think you need to take advice from a Registered Migration Agent, particularly if your ultimate intention is stay permanently in Australia.

It's one thing to get employer sponsorship for a temporary 457 visa (there are a couple of alternatives under which a Retail Manager could probably get a 457), but if you want that to lead to Permanent Residence in the future, it's important that you nominate an occupation that is eligible for employer sponsorship for a permanent visa and a RMA should be able to advise you on the best course of action for the greatest long term benefit.

I can't actually see any type of Retail Manager occupation that is eligible for a permanent visa, but an RMA will know more than I do.

Hello Fellow Poms

I'm new to this site, I hope someone can give me some advice as I am clueless. Me and my boyfriend have been in Perth for 8 months on WHV. This expires end of April. My job in retail Management have said they will sponser me, I believe this is on some list??? that accepts this occupation? The problem is I dont think they have sponsered anyone before so they have limited knowledge as do I. At the end of Jan I will have worked for the company 6 months and I know on my current visa you can only work for the same company 6 months, however, if we are in the process of applying for sponsership will this be okay? Also, please could someone tell me the costs involved? I have offered to pay for it from my salary if it means I can stay and do the job I enjoy. Is it just a case of applying for the visa or is it more complicated than that? what obligations do my employer have? Will my partner be able to stay on my visa and work?

Thanks in advance for any advice

I would agree with the poster that has mentioned the 457 visa is the one that you need to be looking at, this is a temporary employer sponsored visa, you should be aware that this is never going to turn into a permanent visa.

Also, no it is not ok to continue working with your employer after the 6 months, breaching a visa condition would be a very bad idea when you are trying to get another visa. I believe you can request permission however, but if you want to do everything by the book, don't just do it. (Of course some people might not do things by the book and get away with it).

Hi nic01. Your situation is exactly what I am aiming to be in in the future. We head out in march on a WHV, ironically my Girlfriend is also in retail management. If you dont mind me asking, what line if retail management are you in, and how did you find getting work with employers knowing you can only work for 6 months?

I hope it works our for you!

If you are in the process of applying for the 457 you should approach the immigration dept as they will probably issue you a bridging visa whilst the 457 is being processed - speak to an registered agent

They will automatically get a bridging visa, if it is required. Hopefully it won't be required as the WHV runs until April. The 457 visas seem to be moving fairly quickly at the moment.

Archived