Sydney - House share / Rent 23rd Feb

Guest kelv1983

Guest kelv1983

After reading a lot of these posts I've discovered renting seems very hard to do. I am moving to Sydney, Australia on February 23rd for 1 year minimum and I am traveling there on my own knowing no-one! Most of the posts on here say how hard it is for a family to find accommodation but what I am after is a house-share. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences on this? I assumed Sydney is a huge place so there must be loads of places available to rent but not like the competition mentioned. I have saved up thousands of English pound to do this trip so I could easily afford to pay 3 months in advance. But I was also now considering a hostel until I get things sorted as it looks impossible to sort it from the UK. I am a qualified Maths teacher so I will start start the search for work from the UK. Ideally long term rent from the date in February but also short term so I have somewhere to sleep upon arrival. Any help would be much appreciated, thanx!

• 1 year later...

Just google - Gumtree; Easyroommate; Domain - these sites seem quite comprehensive, but I've not had to arrange accommodation from here (UK) so I can't say if the entire process is easy or not. They seem to advertise a weekly rent. Sydney is quite expensive, so unless you have many thousands of English pounds you'll need to have your job search pretty well directed. You may find that your original plan of a hostel a good one, until you get settled and decide where you'd like to be. Good luck with your job and home search.

M

Staying a hostel for a couple of weeks seems like a good idea to me. Join the YHA before you leave as they have some good ones, two near Central station and one in The Rocks, both convenient for travelling around Sydney. There are plenty of good private hostels too, around Central and Kings Cross, Bondi Beach if you prefer being there. Bounce hostel is on Chalmers Street, opposite Central and looks OK (from the outside!)

I was talking to a young bloke in the pub the other week and he had just arrived, was staying in a hotel - Goodlet Lodge in Surry Hills I think - and had already organized a home/flat share in Woolahra/Paddo close to where he was working. I did not ask him how he fixed that up, probably via one of the sites recommended by 'Bovered.'

Archived