Renting Help! House-share?

Guest kelv1983

Guest kelv1983

After reading a lot of these posts I've discovered renting seems very hard to do. I am moving to Sydney, Australia on February 23rd for 1 year minimum and I am traveling there on my own knowing no-one! Most of the posts on here say how hard it is for a family to find accommodation but what I am after is a house-share. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences on this? I assumed Sydney is a huge place so there must be loads of places available to rent but not like the competition mentioned. I have saved up thousands of English pound to do this trip so I could easily afford to pay 3 months in advance. But I was also now considering a hostel until I get things sorted as it looks impossible to sort it from the UK. I am a qualified Maths teacher so I will start start the search for work from the UK. Ideally long term rent from the date in February but also short term so I have somewhere to sleep upon arrival. Any help would be much appreciated, thanx!

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi

If you are looking at sharing a house you shouldn't have the same problems as families who are trying to find a 3/4 bed.

There are a few sites you can try for house share:

Australia's biggest free site for flatmates, share house, share accommodation in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.

Share Accommodation, Flatmates - 35,000 Share House Ads in Australia

House Share, Flat Share, Apartment Share | Sydney | Gumtree

However, be aware that there have been a few scams on sites like these where people end up paying for accommodation that doesn't exist, so if anyone asks for payment before your arrival in Sydney just be cautious.

Kate

Guest kelv1983

Thanx so much for that! that puts my mind at ease a lot! i could imagine myself finding a hostel to stay in for months and being woken up by snoring people n stuff, haha! i'll check them sites out soon, need to start drinking now tho, its almost 4pm and it's new years eve, happy new year everyone!

Yeah you won't struggle getting a room in a houseshare. Sydney is sooooooo expensive so plenty of people live in houseshares. We are possibly considering finding someone to share with us when we find a house when we arrive in Sydney in Feb as having 2x dogs means we need a house with a garden which is working out as very expensive!!

My advice would be to book yourself in to a hostel for first week or so and have a good look around the City first to decide where you want to live.

www.gumtree.com.au is a good place to find rooms to rent.