Guest laura_barrett

Working in the Mines in WA

Guest laura_barrett

Hi

Heard alot of people staying about working in the mines in WA.

My b/f a mechanic heard he could make alot of money anybody heard of this??

Laura

:jimlad:

Guest alfixie

Have heard a friend of friends OH did this and it was very good money apparently, but he was away from home for a few weeks then came back for a few weeks, she found it too hard with him being away so he gave it up. Thats all I know I'm afraid maybe someone in Perth will actually be able to tell you more.

Good luck.

hi laura

when i was in perth in march i was lookin for jobs .im an excavator operator if i was to go to the mines they fly you in pay all your travel /accomodation /food/expences.usually workin 2weeks on 1 week of .there are hundreds of mine jobs /heavy mechanics or diesel fitters are worth their in gold .mines are usually iron ore or gold i was watchin a 1000ton komatsu loading cat trucks at the super pit in kalgoorlie 4bukets and the dump truck was carrying 250 ton .dont know the wages for fitters but i think its about the same as operators witch is around 120.000 aud

hope this helps if you need any more onfo give me a shout

keily.

ps when in perth i was offerd 3 jobs in an hour and a half .fly in friday start monday fitters are the same /got job offer in writing to go in with application ...as a fitter the mine companies will sponser you in ...

LIFE IS A COIN , YOU CAN SPEND IT ON WHATEVER YOU WISH , BUT ... YOU CAN ONLY SPEND IT ONCE

Hi Laura,

There is plenty of jobs in the mines and it is good money, the downside is like Keily says a fly in fly out job with 2 weeks on and 1 week off. Accommodation up there would be hard to find so you may end up living in part of perth alone, whilst your b/f comes home once a fortnight. For us this wasn't an option, we came to be together more and I can understand alfixie's friend finding it hard especially if children are involved. if you're not bothered about spending long periods alone then go for it. I have a friend at work who's hubby does it but he's away for 6 weeks at a time, she says she finds it hard to adjust to him being home then when she does he's off again./

Ali

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Guest thekeg95

Hi Laura

As Ali says some people do have trouble with being away on a 2 week on 1 week off basis but others find being at home for 6 days straight they spend more time with the family than they would if working at a job with a long commute anyway. Horses for courses i guess

regards

STEVE

Hi Laura

As everyone else has said.... if you decide to look at these jobs be prepared for your OH to be away more than he is home.

my OH occassionally works on the oil rigs and does a 2 on 2 off. great when he is home but hell with 3 kids when he is away!!!

Money will be good for you and of course when he is home he will be home 24/7 which is nice.... but i have to say money isn't everything and also 2 on 1 off to me sounds like a rough deal.... he will have got home only to find he is straight right back... mine oh lives out of a bag when he is doing this kind of shift.... and he gets 'stir crazy' from it.... hence he doesn't do it that often.

It's down to personal choice in the end.... and if he does decide to do it he doesn't have to do it till the end of time!!!.... just enough for a nest egg...

min x:wubclub:

3RD MARCH 2008....WE ARE HERE!!!!!

Guest JohnP

A mate of mine is a sparky, he went to the mines for a year. His new Swedish wife went with him and found work in administration. He was earning $120k AUD and she was on $75k AUD, they did it for a year and had a massive deposit on their house when they moved to Perth. Now she doesnt work and he has his own business. Short term pain, long term gain.

hi laura

if you go on to extraman.com.au there is a bit for overseas applicants //tells you about sponsership for hd diesel mechanics and fitters cheers .

LIFE IS A COIN , YOU CAN SPEND IT ON WHATEVER YOU WISH , BUT ... YOU CAN ONLY SPEND IT ONCE

Guest clayton gang
Hi

Heard alot of people staying about working in the mines in WA.

My b/f a mechanic heard he could make alot of money anybody heard of this??

Laura

Hi Laura

This quite a good post. Quite pleased with the information given by others. Once again these great people on PIO come up with goods. Maybe because both our OH are looking in the same line of work in mining. We should move near each other in Perth and keep other company whilst they are earning loads of money:jiggy:

At least then we have some company until we settle in Aus.

Good luck with everything Laura

Jenny

Guest laura_barrett

Hey Jenny,

Sound a good idea??

When are you making the move?? Weve still not heard back from tra yet but hopefully in the next few weeks!!! :unsure:

Its gonna be a bit lonely when Matts away but such a good way of building up the savings account before we buy a house its gotta be done i reckon!

Laura and Matt

Guest clayton gang
Hey Jenny,

Sound a good idea??

When are you making the move?? Weve still not heard back from tra yet but hopefully in the next few weeks!!! :unsure:

Hi Laura

We are just waitnig to hear about our visa. We had to have our police checks redone due to them running out in June. So hopefully not long now. We are hoping to go next year. It will give us time to sort everything out.

Take care

Jenny:)

Guest laura_barrett

Kool. Were hoping to go march/april 2008 fingers crossed visa comes back intime & we have enough dosh!!!

I thought you was moving to a different part of oz??

Were looking at rockingham area in perth. How bout you??

Laura & Matt

Guest Bianca

great thread! - what about the situation on the WA mines at the moment with the credit crunch - is it affecting the mines as bad as the car industry?

can you please PLEASE give us tips on job hunting - good agents / companies to contact and how?

great thread! - what about the situation on the WA mines at the moment with the credit crunch - is it affecting the mines as bad as the car industry?

can you please PLEASE give us tips on job hunting - good agents / companies to contact and how?

News RIO TINTO

Here at last:jiggy:

SUFC life not a pastime

I limit myself to 2 drinks a day, I`m now 10 years in front make that 15

CCIWA cuts economic growth forecasts

15-December-08 by Rebecca Lawson WA Business News

Western Australia's economy is expected to slow by almost 40 per cent in 2008/09 and nearly 50 per cent the following financial year as the fallout from the global financial crisis impacts the state and demand for resources commodities wanes.

The Chamber of Commerce and Industry of WA (CCIWA) said on Monday it had downgraded its economic growth forecast for the state to 3.5 per cent for the 12 months to June 30, 2009, from 5.5 per cent.

The CCIWA also cut its growth outlook for 2009/10 to 3.25 per cent, from 6.25 per cent.

Chief economist John Nicolaou said the slowdown would largely be driven by a sudden and significant drop in mining exports as international demand declined.

Mr Nicolaou said reduced retail spending also played a role as consumers engaged in belt-tightening.

"We have factored in some large falls in key commodities that we produce, and what that has meant is our exports for this financial year and next financial year are significantly less than what we first though because of the current market," Mr Nicolau said.

"We're now seeing our exports turned away from our key markets."

He said planned expansions at WA mines would continue to be postponed.

"The mining sector is being hit in terms of its expansion plans.

"But they are being delayed and deferred - not stopped.

"They will return ... when conditions improve."

Mr Nicolau said the worsening global economic meltdown in the past two months was unexpected and a cause for concern.

"We weren't expecting China to be as affected by the global financial crisis to the extent that it has."

He said WA's economy was entwined with Asia, specifically China, where solid but slower growth in gross domestic product (GDP) was expected.

China's GDP growth target for 2008/09 is eight per cent, down from 11.4 per cent in 2007/08.

"The three major economies - the US, Japan and the European Union - are technically in a recession right now, but in WA's case we're much more closely linked with developing Asia and China in particular," Mr Nicolau said.

"China continues to grow at a very healthy rate.

"That will, in effect, insulate WA from the rest of the global financial crisis."

Mr Nicolau warned that any major problems with Asian economies would quickly flow through to WA.

But he said WA's unemployment levels would remain low at 3.5 per cent this financial year and in the next year.

"Businesses will be reluctant to release too many staff - even amidst the uncertainty - because staff have become the most precious resource ... with a history of key labour shortages in this state."

He said the retail sector would not grow at the rates of recent years, but strong population growth and cuts to official interest rates would provide stimulus.

"Against that, frontline services like health and eduction and some hospitality sectors will continue to demand labour because they don't work in line with the economic cycle.

"They are more in line with an ageing (and growing) population."

CCIWA's announcement is pasted below:

Further evidence is emerging that the Western Australian economy, the engine room of the Nation, is being impacted by the global financial crisis.

The State's peak business organisation, the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Western Australia, has today released its quarterly snapshot of the local, national and international economies, which shows although economic growth in WA remains solid, conditions are softening.

The CCI report predicts a slowdown in the WA economy, which has accounted for half of the Nation's growth in recent times, in the year ahead. Significantly, a number of major projects, mainly in the resources sector, have been delayed until conditions improve.

With a growing number of small, medium and large businesses expressing concern about the short term outlook, and business confidence at record lows, CCI has revised its economic growth forecasts for the next two financial years.

Although the WA economy will continue to experience solid growth this financial year, deteriorating international conditions have prompted CCI to revise its growth forecast for the WA economy down to 3.5 per cent in 2008-09 from 5.5 per cent.

Economic growth is expected to slow further in 2009-10 - down from 6.25 per cent to 3.25 per cent - as the full effects of the global financial crisis are felt.

Growth of this magnitude in the current economic climate is still remarkable, and puts WA out in front of other Australian States, and many developed international economies.

The slower rate of economic growth is largely the result of a sudden and significant slowdown in exports, as international demand declines.

The long term outlook for the WA economy remains positive. CCI remains confident that the current uncertainty will be short lived, predicting economic growth in Western Australia will reach just over six per cent by early in the next decade, fuelled by a recovery in the domestic and global economies.

Despite the slower rate of economic growth, demand for workers will remain strong and labour market conditions tight. Employment is expected to grow in 2008-09. The number of people out of work in WA is expected to remain the lowest in the Nation, with the unemployment rate to remain well below four per cent.

This reflects the fact that the impact on WA is likely to be temporary, not long term.

Nationally, the impact of the global financial crisis is likely to be more pronounced, with growth expected to slow to slow to 1.75 per cent in 2008-09, before picking up to 2.5 per cent in 2009-10.

While the State and National economies will continue to grow, the same can not be said for other major advanced global economies. The United States, Europe and Japan have all slipped into recession in recent months, on the back of the sub prime mortgage crisis, which has wiped trillions of dollars from sharemarkets worldwide.

A key reason for CCI's revision of local economic growth has been the sudden decline in demand for our key exports to China, a country also affected by global financial turmoil.

However, China is still expected to grow strongly, by nearly 10 per cent in 2008, and 7.5 per cent on 2009, which will ensure demand for WA's resources and other commodities remains strong.

While there is no doubt the current financial crisis is having a significant effect on global and local economies, CCI remains confident that the Western Australian economy is one of the best placed in the industrialised world to cope with the uncertainty.

The underlying strengths of WA's economy mean that Western Australia will remain the economic engine room for the Nation. CCI expects WA to be one of the world's first economies to emerge strongly from the slowdown.

CCI encourages WA's small, medium and large firms, which are a key driver of economic growth and prosperity, not to lose sight of their long term goals, and plan for the future to ensure they are well placed for the inevitable upturn, while they navigate through more difficult short term conditions.

--------------------------------------------

Thought to share this news! Note there are new mines that continue eg: Barricks, Cites Pacific