Poll - guess the GBP/AUD currency rate 31/12/2011

Parley

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest32776

I reckon it will probably be ugly for the GBP still. 31/12/2012 - 13 will be when I think we see some serious upwards correction.

The Aussie financial press are saying that the dollar is about 15% overvalued at present, so I guess that pushes it back to around $1.75 being its natural level ??

So my vote for the end of 2011 is $1.75 to the pound. The problems with the pound are really tied up in the problems of the Euro and I suspect there's still a way to go with that...........

It will still be $1.51. With the exception of Germany most of the Euro zone is screwed and will continue to be so for many years. Economic growth will all be hapenning in the emerging economies and they may well choose to bypass 'The West'.

Though I do take SGPerry's point that most out here view the AUD as being overvalued - they can hardly contain themselves on ABC in the morning when recounting the current AUS-USD rate.' How high is it today?...How high...way hay!'

But my view is that the exchange rate should not matter a jot to anyone thinking of migrating here.

But my view is that the exchange rate should not matter a jot to anyone thinking of migrating here.

You are kidding right? Emmigrating is an expensive business and most migrants need every penny they can find to get set up. Lucky you if you don't.

You are kidding right? Emmigrating is an expensive business and most migrants need every penny they can find to get set up. Lucky you if you don't.

No I am not kidding. It is my view but I understand your own perspective.

I agree it is worse now ($1.51) than it was when we exchanged all ours ($1.64), but some folks emigrate with bugger all other than the cost of a flight. So as was explored in a previous thread, it all depends on how you weight your desire to migrate against your apparent 'wealth'. And if you do the calculation and it doesn't work for you, you stay. There is no universal answer. Its personal choice.:wubclub:

No I am not kidding. It is my view but I understand your own perspective.

I agree it is worse now ($1.51) than it was when we exchanged all ours ($1.64), but some folks emigrate with bugger all other than the cost of a flight. So as was explored in a previous thread, it all depends on how you weight your desire to migrate against your apparent 'wealth'. And if you do the calculation and it doesn't work for you, you stay. There is no universal answer. Its personal choice.:wubclub:

I would find emmigrating with bugger all other than the cost of a flight, far more palatable then "losing" everything I have worked and saved for over the previous 20 years. In fact it is simply not comparable.

And when I say losing, I don't mean it in a literal sense, I mean in the sense that maybe some people have slogged their guts out for 20 years to pay off a mortgage, only to find that they have to start again and get lumbered with debt if they proceed with their Australian adventure. Some people shrug this off and say doesn't matter it is only debt, but other people don't want to be in debt and there is nothing wrong with that IMHO.

I don't think exchange rate is a non issue, I have read enough around this and other forums to know that it is an issue for lots of people. Nevertheless, I agree that if the sums just don't work for someone then the best idea is to stay put. Or sit it out.

I would find emmigrating with bugger all other than the cost of a flight, far more palatable then "losing" everything I have worked and saved for over the previous 20 years. In fact it is simply not comparable.

And when I say losing, I don't mean it in a literal sense, I mean in the sense that maybe some people have slogged their guts out for 20 years to pay off a mortgage, only to find that they have to start again and get lumbered with debt if they proceed with their Australian adventure. Some people shrug this off and say doesn't matter it is only debt, but other people don't want to be in debt and there is nothing wrong with that IMHO.

I don't think exchange rate is a non issue, I have read enough around this and other forums to know that it is an issue for lots of people. Nevertheless, I agree that if the sums just don't work for someone then the best idea is to stay put. Or sit it out.

I am not going to disgaree with what your own personal opinion is. I was merely stating my own point of view.

It is definitely influenced by how much you have in assets. ie. if you have the proceeds of a house from the UK it is more of a factor than if you have only 200 quid in your pocket.

Perhaps it means an influx of younger, less affluent migrants in future rather than "rich retirees". Youngsters who once they get here soon start earning and paying in Aussie dollars anyway, and have a long working life ahead of them.

It will be interesting to see, and probably no bad thing for Australia given its big skills shortage (so they say, anyway).

It is definitely influenced by how much you have in assets. ie. if you have the proceeds of a house from the UK it is more of a factor than if you have only 200 quid in your pocket.

Perhaps it means an influx of younger, less affluent migrants in future rather than "rich retirees". Youngsters who once they get here soon start earning and paying in Aussie dollars anyway, and have a long working life ahead of them.

It will be interesting to see, and probably no bad thing for Australia given its big skills shortage (so they say, anyway).

A 40 year old could have worked and saved for 20 years. Hardly a rich retiree, they are also likely to start earning and paying Australian tax and might do so for another 20 or 25 years.

Archived