British Gas engineer looking to emigrate,advice needed!!!!!!

Guest craiga20uk

Guest craiga20uk

I am a 26 year old male from Wolverhampton.I have been working as a technical heating engineer for British Gas for the past 4 years.I am now looking to emigrate to Australia,but need some information on finding a job.I have scoured the internet looking for Australian gas companies and gas fitter jobs,but have been unable to find many.Would it be more beneficial for me to initially apply for a 12 working holiday visa,then try to find work whilst on that?or to keep on looking for a job first here in the UK?It would be great to hear from any gas engineers who have already emigrated or found jobs.Any help would be greatly appreciated.I have listed my UK qualifications below,just incase anyone out there is looking to offer me a job lol :-)

EEDH Energy efficiency (domestic heating)

Installation and servicing of unvented hot water storage systems

CCN1 Core domestic gas safety

CEN1 Domestic boilers

CKR1 Gas cooking appliances

HTR1 Balanced and fan assisted gas fires/wall heaters

DAH1 Ducted ait heating

WAT1 Instantaneous water heating appliances

NVQ Level 2-domestic natural gas maintenance

NVQ Level 3-domestic natural gas maintenance

All certificates to prove above qualifications are all valid.

If anyone out there knows of any gas companies who might be looking for employees then please get in touch with me.Craig

Search my posts and look for all the info you need, I'm ex British Gas. The rules on getting licenced vary a lot depending on which state you want to live in.

• 2 months later...
Guest whitewolves

hi craig,

Spencer here, you really should not be looking at selling your wares here

Performance is everything and concentrating on Aus is not going to help is it

Hi Craig I worked for Bitish Gas for 28 years and then came out here. It is not easy to get started as it is a small industry especially the heating side. I live in Melbourne and I am currently looking at taking on a heating service person. so would be very interested in talking to you so please let me know if you are serious and I could help you with all the pitfalls

• 3 months later...
Guest jasonbikerr1
Hi Craig I worked for Bitish Gas for 28 years and then came out here. It is not easy to get started as it is a small industry especially the heating side. I live in Melbourne and I am currently looking at taking on a heating service person. so would be very interested in talking to you so please let me know if you are serious and I could help you with all the pitfalls

Hello there,jason here i seen u posted a thread on here,and you may be looking for a heating/service person,i am fully qualified,and im gooing to be looking to move out to Australia,please could you advise me/or point me int he correct direction as to where i need to look.......i have 12 yrs experence,im 40yrs old,currently work 120 hrs pw,and only ever had 4 days of sick in 7yrs,which proof can be provided my currant employer,woud be greatfull for any advise you could give me to make the move as smooth as possible.

Regards

Jason.:biggrin:

Hey there mate

I'm in exactly the same position as you, i have just come back from travelling for 2 years went round asia and new zealand and spent a year in oz!!

They dont wanna no over there our qualifications dont mean anything, they all have to do a 4 year apprentership at TAFE. Thats were all the trade persons in Australia have to go through its there governing body.. They do everything over there from drainage to a leaking roof tile, thats just the norm!! your classed as a plumber/ gas fitter so you have to no all this. fittings are different, pipe sizes, pressures and methods. they dry soulder every joint with oxy acetelyne welds, haha its crazy.. there are firms who just repair hot water systems. which are mainly unvented hot water cylinders.

Basically after getting the run around for a while, well numerous phone calls and monthes of pissing about i was told i have to speak to the head of TAFE Colege. he told me that i have to get in contact with the office of fair trading and they should be able to swap my qualifications over (this is in N.S.W sydney Dont no about other states) rang them and they said that they can only look through them and tell me what needs to be done!! so basically you can get your skill recodnised, which you have to pay money for, bu this only recodnises the skill.. nothing else.

So basically you have to go back to college to do your cert 3 in plumbing which you can fast track going to tafe 5 days a week can be done in 3-5 months which will give you a tempory licence.. but then you still have to attend on a night school to get your other moduals done which i think theres 8 in total.. So good luck with that one,

Melbourne is the best bet for our trade because they are fitting more condensing systems because of the climate, its more like ours.. they call them hydronic heating systems which may help your serches..

Basically your best bet is to apply for your skilled working visa.. which you will have to go and sit an assesment somewere in this country.. pay your first installment which is $3000, then if you get approved you will have to pay a further $4000 this is non refundable if you get refused. and can take 2 years to come through.. i dont have enough points for this so i need to do a higher english test which will give me a further 10 points.

because i have been out of the trade for the last 2 years i have to work 1 more year in england in the trade before i can apply for this. but once you get it you can work in oz doing anything you want you dont need to use your trade. and dont have to come back to england and can apply for residency after 4-5 years... buzzin wish i knew about this before i went..

but i went on a working holiday visa which is one year.. you can extend it by doing regional work for 3 months on the same farm or 88 days.. so i still have a year left to use..

So i will apply for the skilled visa next year when i have a year back in the trade.. use the second year of the working holiday visa while the skilled one comes through, then go from there..

there you go you have 2 years of knowledge i would of happly paid 2000 quid for so please send a check in the post haha.

P.s i no my spellings crap and i aint got time to read back through this so send a reply if you need any more info..

Is there many companies in the melbourne area who specialize in the service and repair field? i have seen baxi have opened up a training centre in melbourne and was thinking of emailing them to see if they no of any installers who would be taking on internationals, this would save me the agrovation of going down the silled visa route. if i was only a joiner!!

• 1 year later...
Guest StevenGas

[quote=clarke9876

Hi everyone, I am also looking to go on the move to, but have no idea or what I have to do..... I've been a gas engineer for ten years now, I'm 26 and have all my gas safe elements. Also have my commercial ticket as well as I work for national grid. If any one can provide any help with visa and were do I start? Would be gratefull.

Archived