175 - how long?

peggsgreen

Hi all again , dont want to be a pain but i know alot of you guys have gone down the 175 visa route ........ just wondered how long it takes - from english test etc to visa ? And to getting out there !!!

We are not going to use an agent as want to keep costs down, and if you dont know us , Well I am a cardiac nurse and my hubby a bricklayer ........ desperate to move to Bunbury to live with our old and new friends ......

..... thankyou :cute:

Hiya.

Well we begun the visa process in May 2008! Here we are 2.5 yrs later still in the sunny uk! Hopefully not for long now!

The quicker route is to be sponsored by a state(176).

Our timeline is rather unfortunate as we have been caught up in many many changes to the visa system.

Hi , Jodie is right 176 is quicker as if your occupation is on a State SMP you become cat 2 which have a quicker processing time. I applied for a 175 in Dec 2010 and the current processing time is quoted as 18-24 months for completion. (I took Ilets in Oct ) Good Luck Jodie

24 months .... seems forever.:sad:

But i supose once there , its all forgoten about,

Its just that ideally we would like to go over and just see what its like for 12 months and if good - we stay forever ! but if not we come back to our old house and our son to his old school.

Like i say before im a nurse and my hubby a builder, just cant believe how long these things take :cry:

We have met sooo many new freinds in Bunbury , just want to get over there ...

.... thanx guys

Hi again , just read that there is different cats for 175 visa - which effects time scale. ie 6-12 months, then 12 - 24 months and so on.......

....... just wondered does anyone know what we wud be - cardiac childrens nurse and bricky ?

thanx again

Guest Guest 47403
Hi again , just read that there is different cats for 175 visa - which effects time scale. ie 6-12 months, then 12 - 24 months and so on.......

....... just wondered does anyone know what we wud be - cardiac childrens nurse and bricky ?

thanx again

I believe you'll be priority 3.

Not sure about the current situ; but:

We applied for a 175 in March 2009, got meds etc done in April 2009, IELTS in January 2010 (following rule change) and finally heard from a case officer in the middle of June 2010.

After hearing from the CO, the police checks were done in a week and the visas were granted on 1st July 2010.

We validated our visas in August 2010 as we had to do this pre 31 October 2010 as our meds were out of date, but they extended it since the delay was of their making. However, we couldn't make the whole move at that time as house not sold, notice period too long, etc.

We're moving out in July(ish) 2011.

It really depends on what priority category you fall into, but it's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" type of question.

There are a few of us on PIO who applied for 175 in late 2009 to early 2010 and were on the CSL. We were assigned our COs in about three months, visas soon after.

There are also a number of people here who've been caught in the backlog for two to four years, and with no CO in sight.

Bricklayer falls on the new SOL, so your priority would be Category 3. That would mean an 18 to 24 month wait according to current DIAC guidelines, though you'll probably need to add anything up to six months to get paperwork together and complete skills assessments.

If you want to be out in Oz faster then you'll need to find either a state or an employer to sponsor you.

I didn't see the bit about you being a nurse. That might help speed things up.

A lot of nurses go to Oz on temporary visas, and you can get in very quickly. (A matter of months rather than years.) This can then be rolled into a PR application. A friend of mine did it that way. I don't know what the implications would be for your husband working though.

Alternatively, if you know roughly where you'd like to be, then apply for state sponsorship. That will probably get you a visa within 6 to 12 months of applying (I'm not sure what the current processing times for SMP applications are), and you might get a bump up the queue for your occupation.

The one issue there is that NSW doesn't offer nurses sponsorship except for regional areas, so if you want to be in Sydney then that might not be the best option.

Guest jmorris

Hi can't remember off hand exact but approximately sent off application 175 in jan 10, CO in april, police check and Medical in may half term 2010, visa granted aug 2010. We were not expecting them so soon, but we applied just before the changes to skills list and all new applications were frozen. I believe this speeded things up for us.

I believe 176 is quicker now, and the processes changes oftern, our friends emigrated last year with a 176 which took 18 months. They had no English test and had different hoops to jump.

Good luck,

many thanks, we spoke to australian migration in london on friday and they informed us to allow upto 3 years for visa etc !! eek !

Not giving up - have emailed local hospital in Bunbury regarding sponsership.

Again thanks to all you guys that reply to questions , it really helps .

Thankyou,

Lisa, Paul and Jack

I'd suggest contacting building firms in Bunbury too.

When I visited a friend in Perth a few years ago there were several empty plots on the other side of his street. There was such a shortage in the building trades that anyone wanting to put a house on one of these would have a couple of years wait for a builder to become available. A lot of the skilled tradesmen and women have gone to work on the mines.

If your husband is OK to be away for a few weeks at a time, then it might even be worth approaching the mining companies too.

Western Australia has both nurses and bricklayers on its occupations in demand list. I don't know the process for applying for this, but if you're planning on being out that way it would cut a couple of years off your application time.

Guest ashmalog

all the changes have had such an impact on the visa timelines, we applied july 2008 (175) and received our visa dec 2008 - only took 5 months from start to finish but we couldnt sell the house in the uk so ended up validating our visas in june 2009 and moved to melbourne permanently in nov 2009 and love it!! dont think i could wait 2 years, once the decision has been made then you just want to go.

good luck with it all, SS seems the way to go now a days.

Hi, we submitted our visa 175 in 9th Nov 2009 and we got asked for medicals and Police checks Jan 210 and recieved the visa March 2nd 2010. We were amazed as thought would take 18 month. Flew out xmas day 2010 and absolutely loving it. Did not have an agent and I thought the process was fairly straight forward. I am a science teacher so maybe thats why, Im not sure!

Dont think this helps you any but feel free to get in touch if any ques.

Zoe

Yes I did, I bought an IELTS book for £15, but to be honest it was fairy easy and I would not bother. There were four section if I remember, or could be 5 but I can't remember the other.

1. Listening - you listened to a tape and wrote answers down to questions on a sheet.

2. Writting - I was asked to write a letter to an employer about a position I would be suitable for - so I just wrote one for my job.

3.Reading - reading lots of text and answering questions about it.

4. Speaking - I spoke to a lovely elderly lady who asked me about my family, job and why I wanted to go to Australia.

I though it was fairly easy, I think really the only place an English native may struggle is the reading bit if they were slow at reading. I am a fairly fast reader and I remember just finishing this in the time, but the questions were easy just lots of text to get through.

Oh and there was a bit of a wait when i got in touch to book it, I think the wait was about 9weeks so be prepared for that, then it took two weeks for the results to arrive. It was like being back at school waiting for my GCSE's to come through

It cost me £110 I think at Manchester Uni - which is local to me, hope this helps.

All the best with your application

Zoe

• 2 weeks later...

Archived