To Move from Syd to Bris or not??

Guest sunnydays74

Guest sunnydays74

I am in my mid 30's and have lived in Sydney for 12 years, I love it here, and have good friends, but need the next adventure. Whilst I am not a total city slicker I enjoy dinners and drinks out and lots of great shopping, but I am looking for a bit of an easier lifestyle than Syd, and maybe a city with a more casual approach. (also considering melb) I also seek that Bris is a little cheaper than Syd to live.

What I am wondering is,

Has anyone who has lived in Syd for some time moved to Brisbane.. what did you think?

Pro's/Con's?

I want to make sure I can still have an active social life, and that there are not just bogan rough style pubs and bars etc, But from what I can gather the Valley has had a big makes over, St James St looks a bit more upmarket and there is Southgate where the fake beach is that has lots of restuarants.

Do you think the people are friendly up there ie in making new friends/contacts etc

In terms of weather is the summer that muggy and sweaty its unbearable? Whats the rest of the years weather like?

Anyways would love your thoughts from anyone who has lived in both Bris and Syd....

Thankyou

Compared to Sydney the nightlife would probably seem a bit unsophisticated or lacking in choice but there are a few nice places in Brisbane, the restaurants are improving even in a few of the burbs. Still, it would probably be well worth making a trip up here to explore a bit more for yourself before making the choice. Depending on your work options etc you could also consider the Gold Coast.

This summer is not typical for Brisbane, just cloudy, wet and not that warm so far. More typical would be hot, humid days with a downpour in the afternoon and storms quite often in the evenings. The humidity can be pretty constant most summers and goes on for a long time, winter is lovely, normally plenty of comfortably warm, dry days and better for outdoor activities. If you really struggle with sticky, hot and humid then you might not find Brisbane to your liking (the GC is a bit more comfortable usually).